Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 8speed
couple low mileage V's going for 56k

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/_W..._osacat=__6001

These prices are dropping worse than the 08 IS-F's

But the more I look at the lines of this car, the more I keep thinking

I just can't put my finger on it!
Wow, not bad

Old 04-29-09, 09:19 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
a new CTS-V right now, MSRP's at just south of $70,000. http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/Build....byo?year=2009 . Even IF you found one for $60,000, your car NEW commands a price roughly $50-55,000. I dont think you will get a Caddy dealer to come down $20,000+. There isnt even a dodge dealer giving $20,000+ incentives on Rams, let alone a caddy dealer. You may find a slightly used one, but new, its HIGHLY unlikely...because even worst case scenario, at auction, a CTS-V will likely fetch closer to $65,000, even without a warranty.

again, just my .02. I wish you luck on finding the deal you want.
Interesting numbers that you guys are posting down there.

Maybe you should just take a trip up here to shop. They base at $69K and GM was willing to discount $6500 on top of that....and yes...that's in CDN dollars.

So by my math you could pick a brand new base '09 CTS-V up for around $54K US plus import fees.

Originally Posted by 8speed
couple low mileage V's going for 56k

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/_W..._osacat=__6001

These prices are dropping worse than the 08 IS-F's

But the more I look at the lines of this car, the more I keep thinking

I just can't put my finger on it!
Have you seen one in person or sat in one or driven one?

This car would have been in my driveway had it been available when the decision had to be made.

Best combination of beauty and beast imho....bar none!
Old 04-29-09, 09:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw my first s5 today and I have yto say I think its easily one of the best looking cars I have seen in a while. stick with it. The CTS is not as pretty
Old 04-29-09, 09:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Those of you that are stating the price of the car seem like you are completely disregarding the fact that GM will have a hard time selling ANY vehicle from now on. Even when bankruptcy was just a possibility people had doubts about buying their cars, and now where bankruptcy seems imminent you guys are acting like that will have zero impact on the situation.
and i think you're forgetting that dealers don't own the cars on the lot and when they're going to be closed down, the floorplanning (finance) co. will take that cts-v away faster than you can blink.
Old 04-30-09, 06:05 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont care what GM car is out there, i would NOT in a hundred years even think of trading a car like the S5 for a GM product...i dont care how fast the thing goes. Maybe the cadillac in the movie - The Island...lol now thats a different creature altogether

Im not trying to be very negative towards the OP...hell its his money and car...and to whoever said his S5 would bring in $38K...perhaps needs to get out more often. People are paying top dollar for this car even used to get it as wait times are still in the realms of 6-9 months at various dealerships.

Im with 1sick...This car defines beauty...even being out for a year and a half it still makes people turn heads. It has the look and ability to pronounce itself as a much mor expensive car withouht being one

Speaking of the CTS-V, are you REALLY going to be able to utilize that performance? probably not. Besides being one to say you have one (im not sure what the charm is for that? ) the performance craving - i really dont think you would exercise it on the road or if you try to - you would have violations...lol

The S5 on the other hand is something to show off that really speakes for itself...so what if it doesnt have performance liek the CTS-V? Half of its intention is pure beauty in exterior and interior. Its built to utmost high standards. Thats a car that I consider "special"...not a CTS-V...not to mention the hideous chrome grill they have in addition to its "trying too hard-look" .

Just my two cents

Last edited by xcntuatd77; 04-30-09 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-30-09, 06:43 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V-3051476425_5db09f745f_b.jpg  
Old 04-30-09, 06:44 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V-hjjhjh.jpg  
Old 04-30-09, 06:45 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

LOL this comparison to me is almost too funny.
Old 04-30-09, 08:57 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

i think you could do it if you were willing to get a used CTS-V and sell the S5 private party. For the record, i would pick the CTS-V over the S5 anyday.
Old 04-30-09, 09:00 AM
LexFather

I would also wait to see what happens to CTS-V values. I am interested to see do they hold up or plummet with all this GM bad news.

Or wait for the coming RS5

Old 04-30-09, 07:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ RS5 Oh Yea
Old 04-30-09, 07:22 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
a new CTS-V right now, MSRP's at just south of $70,000. http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/Build....byo?year=2009 . Even IF you found one for $60,000, your car NEW commands a price roughly $50-55,000. I dont think you will get a Caddy dealer to come down $20,000+. There isnt even a dodge dealer giving $20,000+ incentives on Rams, let alone a caddy dealer. You may find a slightly used one, but new, its HIGHLY unlikely...because even worst case scenario, at auction, a CTS-V will likely fetch closer to $65,000, even without a warranty.

again, just my .02. I wish you luck on finding the deal you want.
What he said. The quickee check for me is CarsDirect. I am not trying to sell the service at all and I think you can beat their price by a bit but I went and plugged in the CTS-V in my zip and it came back and said base was 60,700 (usually includes some obligatory fees) and that the price they could get was 60,200. 100% no way to trade the S5 for the CTS-V without putting in a lot of cash.
Old 04-30-09, 07:39 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
none of those have the recaro seats!

Who cares? For a couple grand you can throw in some sweet CF Sparcos

Recaros are overpriced Euro trash
Old 04-30-09, 07:48 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
I dont care what GM car is out there, i would NOT in a hundred years even think of trading a car like the S5 for a GM product...i dont care how fast the thing goes. Maybe the cadillac in the movie - The Island...lol now thats a different creature altogether

Im not trying to be very negative towards the OP...hell its his money and car...and to whoever said his S5 would bring in $38K...perhaps needs to get out more often. People are paying top dollar for this car even used to get it as wait times are still in the realms of 6-9 months at various dealerships.

Im with 1sick...This car defines beauty...even being out for a year and a half it still makes people turn heads. It has the look and ability to pronounce itself as a much mor expensive car withouht being one

Speaking of the CTS-V, are you REALLY going to be able to utilize that performance? probably not. Besides being one to say you have one (im not sure what the charm is for that? ) the performance craving - i really dont think you would exercise it on the road or if you try to - you would have violations...lol

The S5 on the other hand is something to show off that really speakes for itself...so what if it doesnt have performance liek the CTS-V? Half of its intention is pure beauty in exterior and interior. Its built to utmost high standards. Thats a car that I consider "special"...not a CTS-V...not to mention the hideous chrome grill they have in addition to its "trying too hard-look" .

Just my two cents
Special The new CTS-V is the only four door sedan to break 8 minutes at the nurburgring. I'm not sure what your definition of "special" is but to me, that fits the mold perfectly!! Oh, and did I mention it has a "de-tuned" ZR1 engine under the bulging hood?

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
i think you could do it if you were willing to get a used CTS-V and sell the S5 private party. For the record, i would pick the CTS-V over the S5 anyday.
Amen, the S5 is a great looking car, but everything I have heard and read about the car screams to the fact that it needs more power.......the 4.2 liter V8 is long in the tooth and just can't cut it anymore!

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ RS5 Oh Yea
Is Audi even going to bring this car to the states? I know the TT V-10 RS6 Avant has no chance of coming stateside.

Give me a new CTS-V.......throw in exhaust, tune, intake and you're looking at a 200 mph, 11 second GT-R, exotic killer for 70 grand.

Last edited by 8speed; 04-30-09 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 09:09 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Has the OP even driven the CTS-V? How much better is it? I know the numbers are fun to look at, but the drive is what really matters.

IF you do the trade I would take a test drive in the CTS-V for like 2 hours before making such a move.

And you have to remember that both of these cars are GREAT cars! That means that it is likely that you will miss out on something no matter which car you choose.