Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 01:23 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V

Not a trade in, but a complete trade. Because of the condition of GM I am thinking there are some dealerships out there that would really like to get rid of any inventory they have. My thinking is that many dealerships are going to be closed and GM cars will sell even less as we go forward because of the warranty problem if/when GM goes into bankruptcy protection. I am assuming since the S5 is in demand car even nowadays, that someone would be willing to take this deal. Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-09, 01:26 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a tough one - the S5 is a beautiful car! On the other hand, the CTS-V is an absolute monster (with luxury!).

Why are you trying to get rid of the Audi?
Old 04-28-09, 01:29 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by montgb
That's a tough one - the S5 is a beautiful car! On the other hand, the CTS-V is an absolute monster (with luxury!).

Why are you trying to get rid of the Audi?

I'm just not satisfied with the peformance. Every time I see a e92 M3, IS-F, or C63, I feel sad, because I know if I just waited 3 or so more months I could have got that next level performance car (0-60 in low 4s, 1/4 in mid to high 12s, 0-100 mph near or under 10 sec, etc). The S5 frankly is just a tad bit boring to drive.
Old 04-28-09, 01:39 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it, but Audi resale is not as high as you might think because of reliability. You would get more from an Audi dealership because they could resell the car as "certified" pre-owned, but then of course you couldn't trade for a new V. Biggest complaint I have heard about the S5 is that it is on the slower side and in much need of an intake, tune and exhaust! In regards to the CTS-V, they are still selling at sticker because they just came out so there is no way in hell a dealer will trade a used S5 for a new CTS-V, but give it time and the price will drop.
Old 04-28-09, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Any thoughts?
I'll give you mine.

Even if you get a break on the new CTS-V price, you're still going to take a real bath on first-year depreciation on an S5. Is it worth it, just so you can say you have 500 HP+ under the hood? Not IMO....but it's your money.

I'd also look into what insurance is going to run on a new CTS-V.

And consider this: You say the S5 is "boring" because it doesn't do 0-60 in the low 4's. Suppose you dump your S5, clean out your bank account for a new CTS-V, and then decide that IT is boring because it doesn't do 0-60 in the low 3's like a Ferrari Enzo or in the low 2s like a Bugatti Veyron? In other words, where do you stop? I have to assume that you don't own your own bank.

So, I'm not saying don't get a CTS-V if you really want one, but my point is.....just stop and think about it a little before you start committing to that kind of money, and the reasons you are doing it. You may decide it isn't worth it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 01:49 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll give you mine.

Even if you get a break on the new CTS-V price, you're still going to take a real bath on first-year depreciation on an S5. Is it worth it, just so you can say you have 500 HP+ under the hood? Not IMO....but it's your money.

And consider this: You say the S5 is "boring" because it doesn't do 0-60 in the low 4's. Suppose you dump your S5 and clean out your bank account for a new CTS-V, and then decide that IT is boring because it doesn't do 0-60 in the low 3's like a Ferrari Enzo or in the low 2s like a Bugatti Veyron? In other words, where do you stop? I have to assume that you don't own your own bank.

So, I'm not saying don't get a CTS-V if you really want one, but my point is.....just stop and think about it a little before you start committing to that kind of money, and the reasons you are doing it. You may decide it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the input, but I wasn't planning to do the trade unless I could get this trade done with little or no money other than my car as a trade. The reason being that the only reason I came up with this idea is because the condition of GM and likelihood it will go into bankruptcy. I dont care how good a car the CTS-V is or how in demand it is, I should be able to get the deal if the freakin company is in bankruptcy.

Also, for me the line between the S5 level's performance and the next level (ones I mentioned) is exactly where I draw the line of good performance vs great performance. Reason being that all the cars I mentioned (e92 m3 level) are all on par with E55 AMG performance which is more than fast enough for me. The difference between the S5 and next level performance is quite big and that next level performance is just enough for me.
Old 04-28-09, 01:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Thanks for the input, but I wasn't planning to do the trade unless I could get this trade done with little or no money other than my car as a trade. The reason being that the only reason I came up with this idea is because the condition of GM and likelihood it will go into bankruptcy. I dont care how good a car the CTS-V is or how in demand it is, I should be able to get the deal if the freakin company is in bankruptcy.
IMHO, that's not a realistic trade scenario. As stated by MMarshall, the trade will be very expensive.
Old 04-28-09, 02:07 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because they may go bankrupt doesnt mean they are going to give inventory away. It's probably easier for them to move a brand new CTS-V rather than your used S5, you realize that dont you? Also, like with most businesses that do go bankrupt prices dont hit rock bottom until they VERY at end of the line - I dont think GM is quite there, yet. The longer you wait, the more feasible this idea may be, but by then who knows what kind of selection you'll have on a CTS-V and by that time taking a trade-in may not even be an option for them. Why would a dealer, seemingly, going out of business want to take a car in as a trade?

BTW, S5s with bolt-ons sound awesome!
Old 04-28-09, 02:26 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

wth, its worth a shot.
Old 04-28-09, 02:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO, that's not a realistic trade scenario. As stated by MMarshall, the trade will be very expensive.
It seems like there would be little, if any, motivation for the Caddy dealer to do this trade.
Old 04-28-09, 03:23 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It seems like there would be little, if any, motivation for the Caddy dealer to do this trade.

The motivation would be that they would receive a car that they would be able to sell. First, the S5 is a car that is still in high demand, there are still months wait for people to order a new car. Second, the biggest reason any GM brand will have a hard time selling a car is with warranty/maintenance issues once the company goes into bankruptcy. Now its most likely that they will emerge from bankruptcy but most people won't want to take the risk and buy a car that might not have the proper warranty, especially one that costs over 60 grand. Therefore, the motivation would be that they would actually be able to sell my car vs having to hold a Cadillac in the lot for months or even years as it depreciates in value.
Old 04-28-09, 03:25 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Just because they may go bankrupt doesnt mean they are going to give inventory away. It's probably easier for them to move a brand new CTS-V rather than your used S5, you realize that dont you? Also, like with most businesses that do go bankrupt prices dont hit rock bottom until they VERY at end of the line - I dont think GM is quite there, yet. The longer you wait, the more feasible this idea may be, but by then who knows what kind of selection you'll have on a CTS-V and by that time taking a trade-in may not even be an option for them. Why would a dealer, seemingly, going out of business want to take a car in as a trade?

BTW, S5s with bolt-ons sound awesome!

Like I said, I am assuming that even a CTS-V will be a hard sell once GM proceeds to go into bankruptcy protection. I don't think there are many people out there willing to shell out 60 grand for a car that might not have warranty.
Old 04-28-09, 03:25 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

You're gonna take a pretty big hit on this trade. No way it comes out close to even. Let's not forget that the CTS-V is more expensive than the S5 in the first place. So really, you are asking to trade a used cheaper car for a new more expensive car. It doesn't make any sense. Plus, Cadillac is to be retained as part of GM's core brands. It's not like you're trying to trade for a G8...
Old 04-28-09, 03:35 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Keep your S5, take it to http://gmgracing.com/home.shtml and forget the V.........cadi's are for cougars with blue hair and gynecologists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZbhxDCC8s

Sick
Old 04-28-09, 03:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I'm just not satisfied with the peformance. Every time I see a e92 M3, IS-F, or C63, I feel sad, because I know if I just waited 3 or so more months I could have got that next level performance car (0-60 in low 4s, 1/4 in mid to high 12s, 0-100 mph near or under 10 sec, etc). The S5 frankly is just a tad bit boring to drive.
I test drove an S5 recently and I must concur. I was expecting more torque. The CLK550 I drove immediately afterwards felt much faster.

Go for it!

Quick Reply: Trying to trade my 08 Audi S5 for a brand new CTS-V