Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Parent of Motor Trend Files for Bankruptcy Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 03:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parent of Motor Trend Files for Bankruptcy Protection

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=147027

Parent of Motor Trend Files for Bankruptcy Protection
Date posted: 04-28-2009

WILMINGTON, Delaware — Source Interlink Cos., the parent company of Motor Trend, Hot Rod and Automobile magazines, has filed a Chapter 11 reorganization plan in U.S. Bankruptcy Court here, in what the company says is a pre-packaged deal with lenders.

The company, which is based in Bonita Springs, Florida and is controlled by billionaire Ron Burkle and his Yucaipa Cos., said it plans to go private and that creditors have agreed to cancel nearly $1 billion in debt and provide additional financing.

Source Interlink Media, a division of the company, acquired a group of magazines for $1.2 billion in August 2007 from Primedia, including Motor Trend, Automobile and Hot Rod. Source Interlink Media has offices in Detroit, Los Angeles and New York and operates 90 Web sites and 75 publications, most of them about cars, trucks and motorcycles, including such titles as Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding and Super Chevy.

Source Interlink said it plans to emerge from lender-approved prepackaged bankruptcy in 35 days.

Inside Line says: Watch this space for further developments. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent
Old 04-30-09, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

this is not good. I hope we dont lose more and more cool magazines in the near future. I have already lost 3 of my favorite magazines to this slow economy
Old 04-30-09, 08:37 PM
LexFather

They are okay at best. MT went down the drain after C Van Tune left.

Old 04-30-09, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

if environmentalists really want a cause, they should go after magazines, because almost all of them are now worthless because of the internet, and they waste so much paper and resources in their production.

but even with this bankruptcy i guess motortrend will continue?