Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Prius pricing available; starts at $21K up to $31.7K

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

OK, I was looking at how the new Prius is packaged/offered and as usual, Toyota's inflexibility is infuriating.

Maybe someone can explain why:
- solar roof isn't offered with "top of the line" model V
- you can ONLY get the 17s on the "top of the line" model V
- you can't have cloth on models IV and V
- you can only get fogs on V

so if someone wants a loaded car with cloth - nope
so if someone wants 17s they have to pay top dollar
if someone wants solar roof they can't get top of the line model

lame...

Old 05-08-09, 09:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I can assure you that the Lexus LS will never win in any of the comparisons by the enthusiast magazines, not that the LS do not have all the ingredients, just that they won't allow you to build a car with everything they have to offer together in a complete package.
I have read at least one review that praise the LS460L Touring Package as very close to the S550 in driveability, but yet the Touring Package is not available with rear-seat upgrade and the Executive Package.
So whenever anyone compare any LS available to other cars, it's impossible to test the best possible LS against them since they refuse to put all the ingredients they have available together as a complete package.
If they test the Touring, they probably will give them high marks for the handling/driveability, yet it will lose points for lacking many LS luxury features (can't even have the premiun leather in the Touring Package).
But if they test the non-Touring LS with all the luxury options like rear seat upgrade and Exec., the car won't drive as well as the Touring version.

So having the best possible LS is impossible even though all the ingredients are already there, but they won't allow you to build a car with everything.

And why is the APSSS available for the LS600hL anf GS450h/460 is not even available as an option for the LS460's ???

How is it going to do well against a loaded German rival with everything they have together as a complete package ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-08-09 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 09:23 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK, I was looking at how the new Prius is packaged/offered and as usual, Toyota's inflexibility is infuriating.

I think it makes sense. It keeps their costs down.

As it is there are other Toyota models that have hundreds if not thousands of possible option combination but the fact is you will only see maybe 4 or 5 different configurations at your local dealership and otherwise you have to custom order.

So basically this just cuts out your options as a rare customer of theirs that might want to custom order, and in exchange keeps their costs lower.

I do definitely agree that the lack of a solar roof option on their top of the line model is extremely odd. Odd to the point of making me think it's either a typo or some unforeseen last minute engineering issue that wouldn't allow the solar roof to work with the LED headlights or something similar.

I for one think I'd be most interested in the Prius V minus the 17s (assuming they hurt ride quality as much as I have to assume they would vs the thick sidewalled 15s)... tell ya what, I'll get the Prius V and trade you the wheels/tires from your 15" wheel Prius plus $700.
Old 05-08-09, 09:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Threxx

As it is there are other Toyota models that have hundreds if not thousands of possible option combination but the fact is you will only see maybe 4 or 5 different configurations at your local dealership and otherwise you have to custom order.
They won't even give you the option to custom order, that's the problem That's true even for the top of the line Lexus
Old 05-08-09, 11:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They won't even give you the option to custom order, that's the problem That's true even for the top of the line Lexus
They won't? We custom ordered my wife's 2005 4runner with a full option sheet and the ability to check whatever box we wanted to.

In fact she has the only 4runner limited I've ever seen or heard of without a sunroof (aside from her identical twin sister who ordered one identical to hers at the same time except in gold instead of silver). The sunroof is technically a $900 option but literally every limited ever delivered to a dealer that wasn't a custom order has a sunroof as far as I can ever been able to tell.

We also got the X-reas suspension, side airbags, JBL stereo with single CD instead of 6 CD, and specifically left the option for the rear spoiler off.
Old 05-08-09, 03:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lame...
Structual issues with the 17" and the moonroof. Not sure what but Osuka-san (Chief Engineer for the Prius) is working on it.

If you want a solar roof with 15" alloys and no LEDs, buy in Canada. We have that model.

If you want a cloth IV or V, buy in Canada. We have those too.
Old 05-08-09, 03:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Structual issues with the 17" and the moonroof.
Please tell me there is a better excuse than that.
Old 05-08-09, 03:24 PM
LexFather

I can assure you that the Lexus LS will never win in any of the comparisons by the enthusiast magazines, not that the LS do not have all the ingredients, just that they won't allow you to build a car with everything they have to offer together in a complete package.
I have read at least one review that praise the LS460L Touring Package as very close to the S550 in driveability, but yet the Touring Package is not available with rear-seat upgrade and the Executive Package.
So whenever anyone compare any LS available to other cars, it's impossible to test the best possible LS against them since they refuse to put all the ingredients they have available together as a complete package.
If they test the Touring, they probably will give them high marks for the handling/driveability, yet it will lose point for lacking many LS luxury features (can't even have the premiun leather in the Touring Package).
But if they test the non-Touring LS with all the luxury options like rear seat upgrade and Exec., the car won't drive as well as the Touring version.

So having the best possible LS is impossible even though all the ingredients are already there, but they won't allow you to build a car with everything.

And why is the APSSS available for the LS600hL anf GS450h/460 is not even available as an option for the LS460's ???

How is it going to do well against a loaded German rival with everything they have together as a complete package ?
Gotdamn thats a great point dude.

Reminds me of the two times Lexus (geniuses) decided to equip a GS 430 with 16" tires and it placed third (they stated it probably would have done better if it had the 17s like the last test) and they gave the IS 300 16" tires!! What IS had 16" tires? Like 2%?? So the IS fared worse in the comparo and they again mentioned it.

I remember reading the articles like "wtf was Lexus thinking sending their sportiest cars to a test with 16" tires"

No car in tests has had the APSSS so we don't know how much better it would fare in comparos and to the competiton.

Old 05-08-09, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Its the Toyota/Lexus way my man. We have been complaining about this for years, yet they barely do anything.

To be completely honest, IMO I think the current IS-series is probably the best attempt Lexus has made. If you want fully loaded and a Sportier set-up you can get the Sports package. Fully loaded luxury, Luxury package. Just sport, X-package. Plus they offer a few stand alone options as well. Where they still completely drop the ball (and it has been said in other threads) is the leather and wood options.
Old 05-08-09, 06:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They won't? We custom ordered my wife's 2005 4runner with a full option sheet and the ability to check whatever box we wanted to.
Next time you go to a Lexus dealer and pretend you want to order a LS600hL with black leather and the grey wood(which is not available with their predetermined packages) & see if they tell you that's possible.
Black leather ALWAYS MUST come with the reddish brown wood, a request as simple as switching the wood trim pieces, and they won't even do that for you, good luck with custom ordering other options in whatever way you choose
Old 05-08-09, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Structual issues with the 17" and the moonroof. Not sure what but Osuka-san (Chief Engineer for the Prius) is working on it.
that's pretty lame wouldn't you say?

If you want a solar roof with 15" alloys and no LEDs, buy in Canada. We have that model.
it's available in the u.s. too.

If you want a cloth IV or V, buy in Canada. We have those too.
now that's interesting. wonder why that combo is available there but not here.
Old 05-08-09, 10:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If they test the Touring, they probably will give them high marks for the handling/driveability, yet it will lose points for lacking many LS luxury features (can't even have the premiun leather in the Touring Package).

Next time you go to a Lexus dealer and pretend you want to order a LS600hL with black leather and the grey wood(which is not available with their predetermined packages) & see if they tell you that's possible.
Black leather ALWAYS MUST come with the reddish brown wood, a request as simple as switching the wood trim pieces, and they won't even do that for you, good luck with custom ordering other options in whatever way you choose
great posts.

tell us how you really feel andrew!
Old 05-08-09, 11:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

what would it cost to allow dealers to offer 17s on anything but the top of the line model? and moreover, what is it costing in terms of sales they don't get due to irritating consumers?

i've no doubt toyota's research tells them their line up of options is the best trade-off of [in]flexibility, manufacturing efficiency, and consumer wants.

I for one think I'd be most interested in the Prius V minus the 17s (assuming they hurt ride quality as much as I have to assume they would vs the thick sidewalled 15s)... tell ya what, I'll get the Prius V and trade you the wheels/tires from your 15" wheel Prius plus $700.
haha... dunno if it's worth $700 on top of the smaller rims
Old 05-10-09, 07:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's pretty lame wouldn't you say?

it's available in the u.s. too.
Sorry, I meant the Technology Package with Solar Moonroof (but no LEDs/17" alloys)

Originally Posted by GFerg
Please tell me there is a better excuse than that.
<shrug> Don't shoot the messenger . I got it straight from Toyota and the Chief Engineer. You can bug him if you wish but that combination does not exist anywhere in the world.
Old 05-10-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

great posts.

tell us how you really feel andrew!
He's been ripping them a new one the last couple days

Quick Reply: 2010 Prius pricing available; starts at $21K up to $31.7K