Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Prius pricing available; starts at $21K up to $31.7K

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what would it cost to allow dealers to offer 17s on anything but the top of the line model? and moreover, what is it costing in terms of sales they don't get due to irritating consumers?
It seems to be a big jump in tire/wheel size from the standard, narrower 15's to the substantially larger and wider 17's.....and the profile also jumps way down from a 65 to a 45. The narrower 15's would probably have lower rolling resistance.....and at least marginally better fuel mileage.

Not only that, but I'd guess the average Prius buyer is looking for max fuel mileage, not necessarily sharp handling.....so why should Toyota offer the low-profile, better-handling, rougher-riding 17s on any of the lower-line versions? I found the former, second-generation Prius to be one of the most Roly-Poly, sloppy-handling FWD compacts I've seen in some time, from its high center of gravity, softish suspension, and narrow tires. Yet, even with dump-truck handling, it sold like hot cakes, especially last summer when gas was $4.50.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 12:17 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

did anyone notice that the prius is now available with intelligent parking assist, exactly like the LS? Why does toyota and lexus insist on combining the two brands.
Old 05-11-09, 12:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
did anyone notice that the prius is now available with intelligent parking assist, exactly like the LS? Why does toyota and lexus insist on combining the two brands.
When did they ever indicate that park assist was a Lexus-specific feature?
Old 05-11-09, 12:40 PM
RXSF

well they didnt and i know that this feature was available in Japan in toyota models, but lets look at the specs.

you can get LKA (not even available on US spec LS), Pre collision, IPA. feature wise, im sure LS buyers are going to feel that they could have paid 1/3 the price for the same features
Old 05-11-09, 01:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

well they didnt and i know that this feature was available in Japan in toyota models, but lets look at the specs.

you can get LKA (not even available on US spec LS), Pre collision, IPA. feature wise, im sure LS buyers are going to feel that they could have paid 1/3 the price for the same features
Yes, 1/3rd of the price for some of the same features in a FAR lesser car.

You can put leather, heated seats, and nav in a Civic the same as you can in an RL for example... but the RL still costs twice as much for a good reason.

The only thing I see this hurting is the LS owners' egos when they can no longer feel high and mighty for having features nobody else does.

Last edited by Threxx; 05-11-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yes, 1/3rd of the price for some of the same features in a FAR lesser car.

You can put leather, heated seats, and nav in a Civic the same as you can in an RL for example... but the RL still costs twice as much for a good reason.

The only thing I see this hurting is the LS owners' egos when they can no longer feel high and mighty for having features nobody else does.
LS owners, even aside from electronic gadgets like the self-parking feature, already have some things shared with almost no other car owners. The level of refinement, noise levels, and sound quality from the Mark Levinson sound system, IMO, is virtually unmatched in the auto industry. I reviewed an LS460 and found it probably the quietest car I had ever driven......certainly the quietest since the huge, super-quiet Caddies and Lincolns of the 60s and 70s. And the Mark Levinson stereo with its 19 speakers......unbelievable.

OK, back to the Prius, but I just wanted to make that point.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 08:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, back to the Prius, but I just wanted to make that point.
What point was that? My point was that regardless of what features the Prius has that the LS460 used to have all to itself, the Prius is a far lesser car (in a variety of other ways). I used the Civic/RL as an example. It sounds like you're agreeing with me in principle, but the way you worded your reply it sounded like you were correcting me.
Old 05-11-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

From my understanding a couple cars had the feature already in Japan before we got it.

Old 05-12-09, 12:05 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get AFS, HIDs, LKA, PCS and IPA on an Estima Hybrid too.

An LS will always be an LS. They'll usually be the first to receive anything so they don't have to feel bad. They've had the features for 3-4 years already.

Also a few more Lexus features on the Prius include the water-repellent glass and the variable-speed power windows (again, first found on the LS. Not sure if it's on any other Lexus).

Lastly, you have to understand that the Prius is the techy car. It got SKS and bluetooth at the same time the LS did. It also has a solar panel moonroof now that no other Toyota has but then again no other NA Toyota/Lexus has a reclining ottoman with 4-zone automatic climate control and body temperature sensors.
Old 05-12-09, 09:45 AM
RXSF

its just a bit much for the hybrid. IMO, advanced features found on the Lexus flagship needs to trickle down to other lexus models before it even reaches a toyota model, itj ust maks sense to me. the fact that the LKA is not currently available in any lexus model (HS250) is ridiculous.

p.s. the new RX has the variable speed windows
Old 05-12-09, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It seems to be a big jump in tire/wheel size from the standard, narrower 15's to the substantially larger and wider 17's.....and the profile also jumps way down from a 65 to a 45. The narrower 15's would probably have lower rolling resistance.....and at least marginally better fuel mileage.

Not only that, but I'd guess the average Prius buyer is looking for max fuel mileage, not necessarily sharp handling.....so why should Toyota offer the low-profile, better-handling, rougher-riding 17s on any of the lower-line versions? I found the former, second-generation Prius to be one of the most Roly-Poly, sloppy-handling FWD compacts I've seen in some time, from its high center of gravity, softish suspension, and narrow tires. Yet, even with dump-truck handling, it sold like hot cakes, especially last summer when gas was $4.50.
the specs show no diff. in fuel economy with 17s
Old 05-12-09, 07:52 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the specs show no diff. in fuel economy with 17s
That's because only one EPA mileage is to be shown and of course they'll show the best mpg (achieved with 15" alloys)

its just a bit much for the hybrid. IMO, advanced features found on the Lexus flagship needs to trickle down to other lexus models before it even reaches a toyota model, itj ust maks sense to me. the fact that the LKA is not currently available in any lexus model (HS250) is ridiculous.

p.s. the new RX has the variable speed windows
I guess but keep in mind that the US market is the ONLY place that'll get LKA. Not even the Japanese Prius will get LKA (and neither will we up north nor Europe/Australia).

ahh ic so it'll probably show up on every new Lexus vehicle from now on.
Old 05-12-09, 10:08 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my understanding a couple cars had the feature already in Japan before we got it.
And the Prius would be one of them
Old 08-26-09, 11:37 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know when the Prius I is going to be available? Just curious.
Old 08-26-09, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Anyone know when the Prius I is going to be available? Just curious.
I would assume they are in no rush since sales are brisk with the higher, more profitable Prius II-V models. The Prius I was in response to the Insight but they can't give those away.

Quick Reply: 2010 Prius pricing available; starts at $21K up to $31.7K