Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi wants the piece of the minicar market

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 07:37 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi wants the piece of the minicar market

Audi E1

Even as fuel prices slide back down to pre-crunch levels, the automotive industry knows it's only a temporary respite and continues its gear-up for a new layer of premium small cars. On the German front, BMW is thought to be working on a sub-1-series mini car, Daimler already has its Smart, and soon Audi will join the club with its own fuel-sipping urban warrior.

The latest reports indicate the car will be based around the same platform as VW's up, and will do battle with the likes of Ford's Ka, Toyota iQ and the Fiat 500. The car is expected to be called the E1 and it is to be the entry to a range of new ‘ecological’ models, which will span everything from minicars to performance models.

Power will come from a 600cc turbocharged two-cylinder engine in either petrol or diesel guises. The small engines will certainly be underpowered for extended highway use, but with CO2 emissions under 100g/km and about 80mpg (2.9L/100km) fuel efficiency, according to AutoExpress, the E1 will be an easy to operate, low-tax tool for getting around any major city. An electric powertrain is also being considered, but as yet no details on its capabilities have surfaced.

Positioned below the A1, the E1 would also get a 1.2L three-cylinder, which would be more highway-capable than its two-pot brethren. Nevertheless, the up! based vehicle will still be primarily targeted at younger, affluent, urban audiences with an emphasis on technology and style.

The fact that so much of the Audi city car's competition is gearing up for U.S. sale and/or production hints that the E1 could be sold in America as well, though poor exchange rates, high transport costs and a generally weak economy could conspire against such a decision. Nevertheless, given the expected production time frame, Audi should have several years to makes its decision.

While the VW version of the up! will be hitting the streets in 2010, the Audi variant will have to wait a while, and is not expected until late 2011. Production will be handled at VW’s plant in Bratislava, Slovakia, alongside the up! version as well as Skoda and Seat variants.
(Corutesy of Motor Authority)
Old 04-29-09, 07:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

OT: The Scion iQ probably going to start around $15,500 US when its released. Seeing the iQ2 in the UK about 10,000 GBP. So I guess the Audi E1 will be starting in the $20k range.
Old 04-29-09, 09:18 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
OT: The Scion iQ probably going to start around $15,500 US when its released. Seeing the iQ2 in the UK about 10,000 GBP. So I guess the Audi E1 will be starting in the $20k range.
And that's what I was about to say... It might do well if Audi comes in with a reasonable price. $20K plus is too much for that squirt of a car. Even if it is an Audi...
Old 04-29-09, 09:31 AM
kpmg2007
Rookie

VW is doing exactly the same thing GM used to do.

develop a car then toss different looks to different brands under its arm and call them different cars.

hehe ..I don't know whether they will become a new GM. a big but lackluster company.
Old 04-29-09, 10:03 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kpmg2007

develop a car then toss different looks to different brands under its arm and call them different cars.

hehe ..I don't know whether they will become a new GM. a big but lackluster company.
brand re badging?? nope audi is far from that the passat and the a4 dont have a lot in common but both are separated by a generation in terms of chassi code

you my friend dont know what you are talking about
Old 04-29-09, 10:52 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kpmg2007

They aren't sharing too many platforms really, at least anywhere near what Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti and Toyota/Lexus do. The A3/Golf are shared, the Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 are shared. Everything else, including all engines beyond the 2.0t FSI are either Audi or VW - Audi itself had long been stubborn to even work with VW on joint development (the 90s were indicitive of this), but financial relities (and responsibilities) dictate that they need to.

Very different from GM, who would use a vehicle for virtually three or four brands, and not change very much at all, even the interiors looked alike.
Old 04-29-09, 11:11 AM
LexFather

If you talk to forecasters or read what they say for luxury brands, many feel "small and efficient" is the future of the luxury car. The "Bling" era might not come back for sometime, if ever.

Old 04-29-09, 11:23 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage3
And that's what I was about to say... It might do well if Audi comes in with a reasonable price. $20K plus is too much for that squirt of a car. Even if it is an Audi...
Exactly my thoughts. The MOST i'd pay for this little model of a car would be 15k (if that. )
Old 04-29-09, 12:43 PM
aznminivan
Driver School Candidate

looks nice id drive it
Old 04-29-09, 12:50 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Audi can charge $20K for a small car, but it's gotta have performance to back up the looks.

Look at the Mini Cooper. Small premium car that is fun to drive and fuel efficient.

The Smart Car, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be hitting the mark. Every review I've read has been negative. It's a premium small car that doesn't delivery in either catagory.
Old 04-29-09, 07:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

They had the Audi A2 for many years, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2
Old 04-29-09, 08:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The B-Class has been doing reasonable well in Canada. We prefer our smaller cars so the B-Class is aimed right up our alley. Granted the 2006 version was very spartan (think black handles and steel wheels with wheel covers) but the 2009 version has more standard kit (chrome exterior package, colour-keyed handles, alloys) with a lower price than the 2006 model. It starts at just a hair under Cdn$30k. That's betwen the price of a loaded Camry SE and a base SE V6, about the price of an Accord EX, a near loaded CSX, just shy of the base TSX, a few thousand less than the 128i and about the price of a Cooper S manual no options.
Old 04-29-09, 09:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I see the luxury cars of the future getting smaller and less powerful
Old 04-29-09, 09:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I see the luxury cars of the future getting smaller and less powerful
They don't have to be less powerful. I mean, our V6s are making power of the V8s just 10 years ago. If someone asked you if a 180hp 4 cylinder was possible, you'd laugh. You need 3.0 litre V6 to make 182hp (old SAE). 4 cylinders make 120hp tops maybe 140hp if you up the rpm a bit without resorting to lift.
Old 04-30-09, 09:37 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

eh, it looks cool, but imo audi needs to step away from this market and leave it to vw and vw needs to quit trying to be luxury and concentrate on slanging cheap reliable people movers and leave the luxury/sport to audi and obviously the sports cars to porsche.