Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question on trade-ins and owner records?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 12:02 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question on trade-ins and owner records?

So I was wondering today: what happens to the owner-maintained records on a car's repair history when it's traded in to a dealership? I keep mine in my car, and add to it whenever I have a repair or maintenance to the car.

Does the dealership maintain all that valuable info for the next car's owner? Or is it all thrown away when the car is processed and detailed?

I make a point, when I've bought used, to buy from someone with maintenance records on a car; it seems that it would be a selling point for the dealership to have it.

But I suspect it isn't commonly done.

Anyone know?

Sandi
Old 04-30-09, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It depends on state laws and the policies of the individual dealership. Some of them record only the things that were performed at that dealership; some of them record everything, so that a complete record can be had. That's something that you would be wise to ask the dealership if/when you trade a vehicle there.

Tht'a one of many reasons why, even if it costs more, it is wise to have things done at a regular manufacturer's dealership instead of an independent shop....anything done at an approved dealership will be on the official service record for the car, in the service-department computers.

Of course, any accident-related service or repairs, no matter where they are done, go into (or are supposed to go into) the CARFAX reports.
Old 04-30-09, 12:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I would never give that stuff to a dealer. Once they take it, it's their problem to deal with. Their appraiser doesn't give a damn about your repair records. You may want to SHOW them something particular if they claim there's some issue with your car.

While you may have a valid point that a buyer may place some value in a car purchased from a dealer with all papers, the dealer certainly isn't going to compensate you any more than if you had no paperwork.

It's much more important in a private sale because you have no idea who you are dealing with. At least with a dealer, you can check with the BBB and other sources to see if they are shady.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-30-09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 04:29 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

I don't want additional compensation.

I just wondered if dealerships saw any value in the info and records for their sales pitch when it comes time to re-sell it.

Sandi
Old 04-30-09, 05:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandi_k

I just wondered if dealerships saw any value in the info and records for their sales pitch when it comes time to re-sell it.

Sandi
Not exactly. And I wouldn't trust a salespersons pitch anyway.

But if you look at a BMW/Lexus/Mercedes CPO programs and the criteria for certification of these cars, ownership history and bringing all service current based on mileage are important considerations.

btw, don't expect to find any accident information on a Carfax report. What you will find consistently is some good title history (including salvage titles as a result of an accident) and mileage at certain dates.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-30-09 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 05:30 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not exactly. And I wouldn't trust a salespersons pitch anyway.

But if you look at a BMW/Lexus/Mercedes CPO programs and the criteria for certification of these cars, ownership history and bringing all service current based on mileage are important considerations.

btw, don't expect to find any accident information on a Carfax report. What you will find consistently is some good title history (including salvage titles as a result of an accident) and mileage at certain dates.
I understand what CarFax does, thanks.

This thread was the result of a random thought that passed through my head today - I've never seen "owner records" included on a lot-sold car, and wondered why.

Sandi
Old 04-30-09, 06:47 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We throw them away. It doesn't make any difference in the value of the car, and nobody ever asks for them who is buying the car. They usually want a clean CarFax, and that's about it. It's way to much of a hassle to keep that much paperwork for each vehicle.

If it's a Lexus trade-in, it's all on-line with Lexus anyway.
Old 05-04-09, 02:29 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded in a 2008 Tundra when bought my LS430. The dealership called for the records, because the next buyer wanted to know if it had been serviced. They pulled it up on the Toyota database. Had they not had the service record, the buyer said he would not buy the truck. They even had him call me, as to why I got rid of the bucking bronco. God that LS430 is one smooth ride.
Old 05-04-09, 02:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budhah
I traded in a 2008 Tundra when bought my LS430. The dealership called for the records, because the next buyer wanted to know if it had been serviced. They pulled it up on the Toyota database. Had they not had the service record, the buyer said he would not buy the truck.
Yes, and a diligent dealer can get that info from computer and into CARFAX report for the potential buyer to see. I've seen it done on Mercedes and Porsche vehicles that I previously owned, listing service and repairs at date/mileage by dealership/location.