Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

APRIL 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 10:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Many Audi cars in China are actually made there, they have Chinese language batches on the cars, I saw many of them the last time I was in China ...
Old 05-04-09, 11:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, i want to thank all the awesome compilation of information and analysis by those who posted it here. wow. THANK YOU!
I agree 100%. This is such a concise listing of sales that can't be found anywhere else. One of the truly standout features of CL, IMHO.
Old 05-04-09, 11:29 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree 100%. This is such a concise listing of sales that can't be found anywhere else. One of the truly standout features of CL, IMHO.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, i want to thank all the awesome compilation of information and analysis by those who posted it here. wow. THANK YOU!

Here is a RX and 3 series PERSPECTIVE post. Even in these down times, these 2 vehicles are by far the standards of their segment. They both sold over 6,000 units in April.

How much was 6,000 units in this economy??? This might shock you as it is more than;
VW Jetta
Infiniti as a brand
Any Kia except the Spectra
Subuie Forrester
All Mazdas except the 3
300 C
Avenger
Charger
SAAB as a lineup
Honda Fit
ALmost the Pilot
Toyota Versa
All Nissans except the Altima
Ford Taurus
Explorer AND Expedition combined
Lincoln
Avalon
Scion as a brand
Sienna
Highlander
Tundra
Mitsubishi as a brand

The 3 and RX outsold ENTIRE BRANDS!!! Some of those vehicles are heavyweights as well. Look at the price points! The 3 is a 33k-70k car and the RX is a 38k-50k vehicle and they are outselling far cheaper cars. We must pay homage to those 2, people want them when the economy is great (RX sold nearly 120k, the 3 nearly 140k) or bad.

Old 05-04-09, 12:43 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kpmg2007
A6 managed to outsell 5 or E (if it's true, please show us a link-), only because VW has a long term relationship with Chinese gov. They can sell 100,000 a year in China this year(last year was 84,000) (for those officers).(most of them are A6 2.0T, which didn't count as a mid-level luxury car by America's standard)
the best selling 5 in America sell around 50,000 a year.

So the number isn't automatically arguing that A6 is a better car.
Here you go:

"The improvements to the A6 should bolster its standing as the best-selling model in the mid-size luxury car market. Worldwide, the Audi A6 claimed a 37% share of the luxury mid-size segment, ahead of its primary competitors, the BMW 5-Series and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The new 2009 Audi A6 will begin shipping to dealers next week in time for the holidays. "

http://www.audiworld.com/news/08/my09-a6-s6-pricing/

Dollar for dollar, the A6 is a much better buy than the 5 series and the E-class.
Old 05-04-09, 02:49 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX;4485570
[B
Mid level luxury[/B]
5 series-4319
E -1795
MKS-1178
S80-681
GS- 468
M35/45- 441
A6-388
RL- 202
As impressive as the RX and 3 series sales have been, the market share of the 5 series is a pretty ridiculous and impressive 45.6%
Old 05-04-09, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Originally Posted by RX300-BV
As impressive as the RX and 3 series sales have been, the market share of the 5 series is a pretty ridiculous and impressive 45.6%
I agree, I was going to tackle that one later but thanks!

Old 05-04-09, 06:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Edmunds.com Reports True Cost of Incentives(April 2009) :

Full Article : http://studio-5.financialcontent.com...ChannelID=3191
Old 05-04-09, 07:52 PM
LexFather

^^^^^Geezus Infniti was giving cars away between 0% financing, lease deals and over $5,000 in incentives!!!

Edmunds.com Reports True Cost of Incentives: High Incentives Spending May Be Hurting Some More than Helping
Business Wire News Releases
Published: 05/01/09 01:12 PM EDT
Released By:
Edmunds.com
Rating:
Text Size:

Print
Email
DIGG
del.icio.us
Technorati
Newsvine

Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, estimated today that the average automotive manufacturer incentive in the U.S. was $3,031 per vehicle sold in April 2009, down $134, or 4.2 percent, from March 2009, and up $680, or 28.9 percent, from April 2008.

"This month’s sales reports may prove that there is a point of diminishing returns for incentives spending," stated Jesse Toprak, Executive Director of Industry Analysis for Edmunds.com. “For some automakers, this month’s high incentives diluted brand image and hurt residual values while delivering only a negligible lift in sales.”
True Cost of Incentives for the Top Seven Automakers
Automaker April 2009 March 2009 April 2008
Chrysler Group (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep) $4,288 $4,889 $3,795
Ford (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo) $3,636 $3,673 $2,989

General Motors (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet,
GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn)
$4,063 $4,772* $3,132
Honda (Acura, Honda) $1,439* $1,334 $1,405
Hyundai (Hyundai, Kia) $3,591* $3,504 $2,156
Nissan (Infiniti, Nissan) $2,779* $2,234 $1,796
Toyota (Lexus, Scion, Toyota) $1,648 $1,565 $840
Industry Average $3,031 $3,165* $2,351

* Denotes a record

According to Edmunds.com, combined incentives spending for domestic manufacturers averaged $3,959 per vehicle sold in April 2009, down from $4,465 in March 2009. From March 2009 to April 2009, European automakers increased incentives spending by $26 to $3,410 per vehicle sold; Japanese automakers increased incentives spending by $132 to $1,740 per vehicle sold; and Korean automakers increased incentives spending by $87 to $3,591 per vehicle sold.

In April 2009, the industry's aggregate incentive spending is estimated to have totaled approximately $2.6 billion, down 3.8 percent from March 2009. Chrysler, Ford and General Motors spent an aggregate of $1.5 billion, or 59.5 percent of the total; Japanese manufacturers spent $575 million, or 22.1 percent; European manufacturers spent $257 million, or 9.9 percent; and Korean manufacturers spent $221 million, or 8.5 percent.

"Despite earning little return in the way of higher sales on their incentive investments, automakers seem to be playing a game of chicken – all are waiting for the other guy to drop back first,” commented Edmunds' AutoObserver.com Senior Editor Michelle Krebs. "Automakers appear to fear the bottom falling out completely if they back down on incentives.”

Among vehicle segments, premium sport cars had the highest average incentives, $6,540 per vehicle sold, followed by large SUVs at $4,797. Subcompact cars had the lowest average incentives per vehicle sold, $1060, followed by compact cars at $1,893. Analysis of incentives expenditures as a percentage of average sticker price for each segment shows large car averaged the highest, 14.0 percent, followed by large trucks at 13.0 percent of sticker price. Premium luxury cars averaged the lowest with 4.5 percent and subcompact cars followed with 6.7 percent of sticker price.

Comparing all brands, in April Scion spent the least, $160 per vehicle sold, followed by Subaru at $884. At the other end of the spectrum, Cadillac spent the most, $5,675 per vehicle sold, followed by Infiniti at $5,504. Relative to their vehicle prices, Kia and Mercury spent the most, 20.9 percent and 16.2 percent of sticker price, respectively; while Scion spent 0.9 and Lexus spent 3.3 percent.

Edmunds.com's monthly True Cost of IncentivesSM (TCISM) report takes into account all automakers' various U.S. incentives programs, including subvented interest rates and lease programs, as well as cash rebates to consumers and dealers. To ensure the greatest possible accuracy, Edmunds.com bases its calculations on sales volume, including the mix of vehicle makes and models for each month, as well as on the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used.

About Edmunds.com Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)

Edmunds.com Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value®, is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com Study(SM), was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in 2006 and is an automotive social networking Web site and home to the oldest and most established automotive community. AutoObserver.com launched in 2008 and provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.

Old 05-05-09, 11:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Hybrid Sales

It's no secret that hybrid and small car sales have been among the hardest hit in the ongoing market downturn. They've fallen at rates well beyond the total market's decline and continue to do so, dropping 45.5% in April against the same time a year ago.

But total hybrid sales are up 1.4% against March 2009 according to Edmunds, and are at their highest level since October 2008. That could hint at a turnaround in the market, though there are other potential factors to consider, including new model arrivals and heavy incentives.

The parade of bad news continues at Toyota, down 62.8% in hybrid sales compared to April 2008, with the Prius down 61.5% and the Camry Hybrid down 67.1%. The Prius's drop can be explained in part by the impending release of the new 2010 Prius, with buyers holding off on new purchases to get the latest vehicle. The Camry Hybrid, on the other hand, dropped more than twice as fast as the standard Camry.

Despite these dismal sales levels, the Prius remained the top hybrid seller in the U.S., followed by the deeply discounted 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid and the Camry Hybrid in third. The car to watch in the coming months will be the new 2010 Honda Insight, which saw sales triple in April to 2,096 units, and it's only been on the market since March. The Insight slotted into fourth place in U.S. hybrid totals.

Luxury hybrids aren't doing much better than their economy-focused counterparts. The RX400h is down 59.7% while the conventional RX actually rose 1% in sales for April. Lexus's other hybrids were all down heavily as well, though their standard-engine counterparts were too.

The past 12 months have seen an incredible roller coaster ride for hybrid sales, going from their best month ever to their worst and everywhere in between.
Old 05-05-09, 12:22 PM
LexFather

^^ So the article makes a big wave with the title, then acknowledges a large part of it is due to the new 2010 Prius coming and the 09 inventories dwindling. So the numbers will be skewed since the Prius by far is the best selling hybrid Sigh. Outside the new (but old looking/driving/interior/technology) Insight, I have seen hardly any marketing for hybrids, from the RX/GS/LS to the Prius/Camry/Civic.

Gas prices seem to be climbing back up, we shalll see what happens this summer.

I'm averaging 28.5 MPG in my new h this week, I'm all smuggy

Old 05-05-09, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Gas prices seem to be climbing back up, we shalll see what happens this summer.

Nice, and btw what are the planned mods?................
Old 05-05-09, 04:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at least the GS wasn't last place this month.

i was actually expecting it to sell only 200 cars. hahaha

i think the hybrid hype is dying down, so i don't expect the crappy-looking corolla-like HS to sell very well when it comes out.

but damn. the RX is selling well
Old 05-05-09, 04:20 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

The hybrid hype is not dying down. Hybrids are here to stay, period.

The HS will be a volumn seller for Lexus, if they price it right.
Old 05-05-09, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Is it broken in, yet, with 1000 miles? You may get even better mileage as the gas engine loosens up with age....and as the temperatures go up in the spring, as long as you don't need the A/C very much. Hybrid A/C compressors, of course, are usually electric, but the electric power drain from them in use still requires some gas-engine recharging.

But remember one thing, though. With Toyota/Lexus gas-electric hybrids, unlike the Honda IMA, the gas engine may (?) take more than 1000 miles to fully break-in. That's because, unlike Honda systems, Toyota hybrids sometimes run on electric power alone, without the gas engine starting at all. (0 RPM, on the gas engine, of course, contributes nothing to the break-in).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-09 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 07:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is it broken in, yet, with 1000 miles? You may get even better mileage as the gas engine loosens up with age....and as the temperatures go up in the spring, as long as you don't need the A/C very much. Hybrid A/C compressors, of course, are usually electric, but the electric power drain from them in use still requires some gas-engine recharging.

But remember one thing, though. With Toyota/Lexus gas-electric hybrids, unlike the Honda IMA, the gas engine may (?) take more than 1000 miles to fully break-in. That's because, unlike Honda systems, Toyota hybrids sometimes run on electric power alone, without the gas engine starting at all. (0 RPM, on the gas engine, of course, contributes nothing to the break-in).
he bought his car used so i am pretty sure it has more than 1000 miles

Quick Reply: APRIL 2009 Vehicles Sales