Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pockets Not Allowed At Lexus Hybrid Plant

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Pockets Not Allowed At Lexus Hybrid Plant

Ever wondered what makes Lexus an Lexus?

The all new Lexus RX 450h Hybrid makes news for reasons that you can't see by looking at or driving the vehicle. The 450h is manufactured in unheard of conditions and with attention to detail that is simply astounding for a vehicle produced today. In fact, pockets are not allowed in the factory and anti-static clothing is a must.

The manufacturing of hybrid vehicles is a dedicated process and dust as well as many other seemingly unimportant things can and do affect the quality of the finished product. Lexux has taken dramatic steps to make its hybrid dedicated manufacturing facility Kokura, the cleanest in the world.

From rushing water overhead to capture dust (appropriately nicknamed Niagara), to pressurized paint booths, to an enclosed loading dock with airlock doors, every step is approached with the greatest regard for reducing any contaminants from the area.

The Kokura plant could possibly be cleaner than a modern hospital. Who would have ever thought an automotive plant could be regarded as one of the cleanest facilities in the world.

The press release goes into great detail in regards to the manufacturing process and is an interesting read.
A lot more details:
http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/...s-hybrid-plant
Old 05-01-09, 03:04 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

A lot more details:
i wonder if my 450h undergoes the same stringent conditions?
Old 05-01-09, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Yes, this is true. Lexus hybrids are produced by dedicated teams as well. Its one of the reasons for my purchase and I'm positive all future purchases will be hybrids. They take things to another level and I feel "h" is the full extension of what Lexus is about.

That said, all Lexus vehicles are made with painstaking steps thus every plant continues to win top awards from Tahara to the plant in Cambridge, Ontario.

The steps taken to build the 600h are jaw dropping!! They ensured only the best of the best build it and were a part of the project. Let me see can I find details.

Old 05-01-09, 03:15 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The steps taken to build the 600h are jaw dropping!! They ensured only the best of the best build it and were a part of the project. Let me see can I find details.
Details would be great. Not that I don't believe you, but Lexus marketing needs to take those details and get them out there to the public. I don't even think your standard S600/760iL buyer even considers an LS600hL, but maybe if they knew more than simply horsepower and 0-60 times they would. It is truly the hand-crafted precision and attention to detail that sets the Lexus flagship sedan apart...
Old 05-01-09, 03:56 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it's attention to detail during the assembly process, and in that regard it's simply astounding and would make a GREAT marketing front, as mentioned above.

but it doesn't mean attention to detail with how the actual car is designed. The interior of the new RX, for instance, is very spartan when I saw it in real life, especially the bizzare "effects" they chose for the doors..weird. I just wish all this "attention to detail" would be met with increased steering feel, a real reason why many shun the LS entirely. Do something with the ambient lighting, a la bmw/mercedes, MUCh more emphasis on the actual design of the sheetmetal, where both the RX and LS seem to no longer accentuate L-finesse like they once did, they look bland. But like I said, the assembly process is just mind boggling and truly a great read. 1SICK, please find the info regarding the LS, I'd love to read it!
Old 05-01-09, 04:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw - over in the 2nd gen IS forum was a great short video on the IS production line in Japan.
Old 05-01-09, 04:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

A lot more details:
many car makers utilize the same process. Anyone see the series "How stuff works" ? They had an episode focusing on the Corvette plant in Bowling Green Kentucky.. It is no different than what is being described here regarding the RX. Are there vids of the build process of Lexus vehicles on the web or on this site? Can some one post them up for us to see please..
Old 05-01-09, 04:35 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the reason why my seatbelt assembly, rearview mirror and front speaker rattle violently in my 60k IS-F?
Old 05-01-09, 04:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Is this the reason why my seatbelt assembly, rearview mirror and front speaker rattle violently in my 60k IS-F?
I was about to say.. Even the new Lexus cars GS, IS are afflicted with annoying dash rattles. Does Lexus put cars that come off the assembly line through stringent NVH quality checks like BMW, Audi &
Mercedes ? Here is a vid showing the NVH for the "entry level" BMW 1 series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5gd...om=PL&index=15
Old 05-01-09, 05:51 PM
Stormwind
Racer

I wonder why they are going to such extreme measures inside the factory I mean it's understandable to build the engine in a clean room but is it really necessary to put on rotors and wheels inside it too? Doesn't it add to extra unncessary cost to the final vehicle price?
Old 05-01-09, 06:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am sure that they take equal car in production of the non-hybrid cars
Attached Thumbnails Pockets Not Allowed At Lexus Hybrid Plant-08-02-27-lexus-tahara-plant.jpg  
Old 05-01-09, 07:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
Details would be great. Not that I don't believe you, but Lexus marketing needs to take those details and get them out there to the public. I don't even think your standard S600/760iL buyer even considers an LS600hL, but maybe if they knew more than simply horsepower and 0-60 times they would. It is truly the hand-crafted precision and attention to detail that sets the Lexus flagship sedan apart...
It was in a past Lexus magazine, the car covered was the 600h and they informed us of the process as well as interviewed the chief engineer. I looked online and I didn't see it yet (the website is all new they will add the old articles) and I don't scan articles anymore. I have to find it too if I do, I'll post a pic.

Originally Posted by FKL
Well, it's attention to detail during the assembly process, and in that regard it's simply astounding and would make a GREAT marketing front, as mentioned above.

but it doesn't mean attention to detail with how the actual car is designed. The interior of the new RX, for instance, is very spartan when I saw it in real life, especially the bizzare "effects" they chose for the doors..weird. I just wish all this "attention to detail" would be met with increased steering feel, a real reason why many shun the LS entirely. Do something with the ambient lighting, a la bmw/mercedes, MUCh more emphasis on the actual design of the sheetmetal, where both the RX and LS seem to no longer accentuate L-finesse like they once did, they look bland. But like I said, the assembly process is just mind boggling and truly a great read. 1SICK, please find the info regarding the LS, I'd love to read it!
Read above Lexus attention to detail is for Lexus, its not going to be German. If you read where Lexus is going, its to make life easier for the driver. THat is the goal of the new vehicles.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
many car makers utilize the same process. Anyone see the series "How stuff works" ? They had an episode focusing on the Corvette plant in Bowling Green Kentucky.. It is no different than what is being described here regarding the RX. Are there vids of the build process of Lexus vehicles on the web or on this site? Can some one post them up for us to see please..
I've been there as well as the museum. You got google, you can find the vids. We had one here its gone.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ideo-clip.html

Originally Posted by 8speed
Yes, b/c Lexus has scored 0 for defects . No Lexus is perfect, no car is perfect. They sadly have issues.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I was about to say.. Even the new Lexus cars GS, IS are afflicted with annoying dash rattles. Does Lexus put cars that come off the assembly line through stringent NVH quality checks like BMW, Audi &
Mercedes ? Here is a vid showing the NVH for the "entry level" BMW 1 series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5gd...om=PL&index=15
You have a lot of confidence in BMW/Audi/Benz, who has a worse UNION than the UAW. Wow 30 hour work weeks, high pay and protected by the government. You do realize that is where your cars are built. Some 3 series cars are built in South Africa. That said seems a Benz plant won the award in 2008, which correlates with their improved quality. Good job Benz!

You clearly forgot here, Lexus plants win award after award for being the best.

http://www.lexus.com/about/corporate/manufacturing.html

For all the bishing some people do about the plant in Ontario, its also award winning.
As of today, this Cambridge facility has earned seven J.D. Power and Associates plant-quality awards, including four gold awards.

Tahara

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I wonder why they are going to such extreme measures inside the factory I mean it's understandable to build the engine in a clean room but is it really necessary to put on rotors and wheels inside it too? Doesn't it add to extra unncessary cost to the final vehicle price?
Everyone does it. Nissan does some crazy things for the GT-R and its built alongside the Nissan Skyline. The fact is Lexus continues to be either the highest quality or among the highest quality cars, so clearly their process works. Again, I will NEVER say they have 0 problems. History has shown over the past 20 years, they are by far the most quality filled brand.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am sure that they take equal car in production of the non-hybrid cars
If you notice Lexus has seperate hybrid production from the gas only cars. They are built in the same plant but are treated differently

Model Production Location
LS Tahara
LS Hybrid Tahara
GS Tahara
GS Hybrid Tahara
ES Kyushu
IS Kyushu and Tahara
IS F Tahara
SC Kanto Jidosha
LX Araco
GX Tahara
RX Kyushu and Cambridge, Ontario
RX Hybrid Kyushu
Related Information

* The Lexus philosophy moves north.
* Learn More

Last edited by LexFather; 05-01-09 at 08:22 PM.

Old 05-01-09, 07:46 PM
LexFather

2004 Article on Tahara

Robot-filled Tahara sets standard for Toyota, world
Robot-filled Tahara sets standard for Toyota, world

Japanese facility puts focus on details

By Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

It is the benchmark of benchmarks: Toyota Motor Co.p.’s untouchable Tahara plant on Japan’s eastern coast.

In 2003, for the second year in a row, J.D. Power and Associates bestowed its highest honor — the platinum award for best quality worldwide — on the Tahara factory that produces Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Owners of models built at the plant, including the Lexus GS 300 and 430 and LS 430 luxury sedans, reported 63 defects per 100 vehicles — about one-third fewer than owners of premium cars built at the best BMW AG and Mercedes-Benz auto plants in Germany, according to J.D. Power data.

Conceived during Japan’s economic boom, the plant was filled with robots, amid fears of labor shortages and Toyota’s great faith in automation. As one of the automaker’s newer plants, it also allowed Toyota to experiment with new manufacturing ideas and production methods.

Set on a small peninsula on the Mikawa Bay, the factory was designed to be “worker friendly” to attract a new generation of workers who had viewed factory work as dirty, arduous and dangerous.

“It’s one of the most beautiful plants, and very neat and tidy,” said Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Koji Endo in Tokyo. The setting is lovely, too, with fishing on the quays outside.

Built in 1979, “Tahara was actually considered a mistake because it was much too automated,” said auto analyst Maryann Keller of Maryann Keller and Associates in Greenwich, Conn. In terms of costs, “it was not a competitive factory when they built it.”

The sprawling plant is air-conditioned. Computer-controlled robots do the heavy lifting and dirty work. More than 95 percent of the stamping, welding and painting operations are automated, while plant workers focus on the trim and final assembly — the details a customer notices.

Today, Tahara produces 460,000 vehicles a year in its two body shops and three assembly plants. In addition to Lexus exports, the plant complex assembles Toyota’s domestic luxury car, the Crown, the RAV4 sport-utility vehicle and three other models.

Rival luxury automakers may murmur that Lexus cars are merely “souped-up Toyotas” because the two brands share a wide array of parts. But suppliers to Toyota know better.

Tahara sets and demands the highest standards.

Toyota, already a stickler for quality, will not accept components if defects exceed 50 per million parts shipped. In contrast, for Lexus vehicles, Tahara managers insist on fewer than 10 defects per million parts.

From the outset, former plant manager Kousuke Shiramizu, now executive vice president in charge of product and product engineering, established that the margin for error for Lexus vehicles would be half what it was at Toyota.

On average at Toyota, air leaks from car exhaust systems are held to 100 liters per minute, to reduce noise. On Lexus models produced at the Tahara plant, the ceiling is a stingy 8.6 liters of air per minute.

The plant’s strict quality checks include a final stretch of inspections for cars coming off the line under the unforgiving glare of very bright lights.

Toyota also tinkered with changes in the assembly line organization at Tahara, establishing several sub-assembly lines so temporary stoppages would not halt all production.

“Tahara’s the next plateau,” said consultant Dennis Pawley, former manufacturing chief at Chrysler. “Rather than having one continuous line, they’re going against the old adage and breaking up the line.”

Living up to Tahara’s standards keeps everyone at Toyota plants around the world on their toes.

You can reach Christine Tierney at (313) 222-1463 or ctierney@detnews.com.
MikeP is offline Add Infraction for MikeP Report Post IP Edit/Delete Message

Old 05-01-09, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Old Stuff I posted about the GS
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ty-thread.html

This plant was transferred to its present location in 1980, to meet the needs of Toyota Motor Corp's Tahara Plant, where the LEXUS is manufactured.
The plant's peaceful atmosphere (you can fish from the quay) encourages free and flexible imagination

As you can see the top 3 plants in the world are Toyota plants.
http://www.lexus.com/about/press_rel...r_05_06_a.html

May 6, 2003
Toyota And Lexus Dominate J.D. Power And Associates 2003 Initial Quality Study

TORRANCE, Calif., May 6, 2003 - Toyota and Lexus once again dominated the annual J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study which measures problems per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. Toyota and Lexus vehicles ranked highest in 6 of 16 segments with Lexus vehicles topping every segment in which they compete.

The Lexus LS 430 premium luxury sedan had the fewest problems of any vehicle in the study for the seventh consecutive year. Other Lexus vehicles at the top of their respective segments included the GS 430/300 sport sedans, ES 300 luxury sedan and the Lexus RX 300 luxury utility vehicle.

Toyota vehicles at the head of their segments were the Toyota Prius in the compact car segment and the Toyota Highlander in the midsize SUV segment.
"We are passionate about building quality into our vehicles," said Mark Templin, Lexus vice president of service, parts, customer satisfaction and training. "It's not merely a process for us…it's our culture. This study is one of the leading indications that our efforts are effective."

In addition to awards for individual models, Toyota plants also scored well in the study, sweeping the Asia Pacific Plant awards including the Platinum Award for the Tahara plant which makes LS and GS, the Motomachi Plant that builds Prius and the Tsutsumi plant where the ES 300 and Camry are built.

Old 05-01-09, 08:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For the IS ... how do you know which plant your car is made in? (Kyushu or Tahara)

Quick Reply: Pockets Not Allowed At Lexus Hybrid Plant