Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sharp Dealer Markup on the 2010 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Sharp Dealer Markup on the 2010 Camaro SS

This morning, I got to take a quick look at one of the first 2010 Camaro SS models to come into the D.C. area....a black, manual-transmission SS (pre-sold, of course). It had been PDI'ed and was sitting in the showroom. The dealership would only allow a very limited static review/inspection, and no test-drive, of course....they wouldn't even unlock it. I didn't get to take enough notes for even a static review (I still promise you guys a review when possible...I've had a lot of requests for this car), But I did notice a few things. The jet-black paint job was very well-done (about even with a Cadillac paint job), perhaps second only, by GM standards, to the superb Corvette paint jobs on the fiberglass. The rigid outside mirrors scrimped on cost-cutting, and did not include a fold/swivel feature. The small spoiler on the trunk was sensibly low and did not seem high enough to to impair rear vision. The low body-fairings were not too low to allow at least some access with a hose underneath for winter cleaning, or going over speed bumps. I didn't get to sit in the black leather seats, but they looked pretty nice, and the leather, on the surface, didn't look grainy or cheap. The brakes were (apparantly) non-Brembo*, but all four brake rotors were huge....as large or larger than I expected. This, IMO, is a handsome car......nowhere near as bloated-looking as some people have suggested.

But the one really outrageous thing (and, perhaps, not unexpected) was the dealer markup. The windshield carried not only the factory sticker (with options, it listed for some 38K) but a dealer-added 15K as well.....making the out-the-door price some 53K, plus tax/tags. I expected somewhat of a markup, but not that much (rdgdawg, I believe, was offered a Corvette Z06, a far more expensive car, for around that). The auto industry, of course, is in a major recession, but, considering that this is a hot new product with a lot of attention in the auto press, and this affluent D.C. area is strongly recession-resistant, price-gouging has apparantly not gone out of style yet if the dealerships can get it.

* After I did this write-up, I was reading a Road Test of the Camaro SS in Road and Track (I will do my own review, of course, when possible). In the specs, R&T DID mention standard 4-piston Brembo brakes front and rear......with 14.0" rotors up front and 14.4" in back. Like I said above, those are BIG pie-plates. However, the calipers are not marked as Brembos and are not painted red or black like Brembos usually are...they have Chevy markings instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 08:23 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mass produced car + markup = oxymoron
Old 05-02-09, 08:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expect $60k Volts then.
Old 05-02-09, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
mass produced car + markup = oxymoron

I agree......I wouldn't pay 53K for a 38K car, but they are not really "mass" produced (yet). They are just starting to trickle into my area. My guess is that supply will not catch up with demand for several months.
Old 05-02-09, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Expect $60k Volts then.
Perhaps. Unlike the Camaro, which, despite its current hype, is essentially just another pony car, the Volt uses advanced, expensive technology, and will cost a bundle to produce, even before the dealer price-vultures get their hands on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 08:38 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

$64,495.00 for the Z06... wouldn't TOUCH that Camaro for over $40K for anything... but after my last couple experiences, I'm done with GM/Chevy forever!!!!
Old 05-02-09, 08:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

there are a lot of Z06s sitting on the lot you can get it cheaper than 65k I bet.
Old 05-02-09, 08:41 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

You can get 2008s in the $50Ks... missing some upgrades though, the one I was going to get was a 2009...
Old 05-02-09, 10:09 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All iconic cars like this are inflated the first production year...........give it time and the SS will drop in price just like every other GM produced car. In two years you will be able to get this car with 10k miles on it in mint condition still under warranty for under 30 grand! And there is no way in hell you can get a new Z06 for 53k!
Old 05-02-09, 10:36 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

how stupid. While they are revamping the auto industry they should allow car companies to sell direct to the public like other countries, fix one problem right there, bad dealers.
Old 05-02-09, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
how stupid. While they are revamping the auto industry they should allow car companies to sell direct to the public like other countries, fix one problem right there, bad dealers.
The problem, here in America, is that GM and Chrysler can't seem to even run their own buisnesses, much less running their own dealerships. That would be like throwing gasoline onto a fire.

And, if a car proved popular enough (as the Camaro SS is expected to be), the factory would just raise its price at the factory level instead of the dealer level. That's the way Saturn dealerships have worked for years....and Scion dealers still do. By company franchise policy, They sold their vehicles at list....(no discounts, incentives, or mark-ups)......and price changes were done at the factory level instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 12:02 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there are a lot of Z06s sitting on the lot you can get it cheaper than 65k I bet.
Originally Posted by rdgdawg
You can get 2008s in the $50Ks... missing some upgrades though, the one I was going to get was a 2009...

Cheapest new 08 Z06 I found was 64k...........most are still going for 70k on ebay. I didn't find one new 08 in the 50k range! Where are you finding these great deals
Old 05-02-09, 12:22 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
Cheapest new 08 Z06 I found was 64k...........most are still going for 70k on ebay. I didn't find one new 08 in the 50k range! Where are you finding these great deals
EVS in Port Washington, WI, 2nd biggest Vette dealer in the nation.... 1LZ for $64,495 +TTL.... chrome wheels bumps to $67,285... 2LZ for $68,500...

Dealer in Ohio was selling 08 1LZs for $58K two months ago...
Old 05-02-09, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Dealer in Ohio was selling 08 1LZs for $58K two months ago...
That may have been the one I misquoted (?) above at 53K. If that was the case, I'm sorry about that....a slip of the memory.
Old 05-02-09, 02:22 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

There are reasons these dealerships should go into extinction.

Quick Reply: Sharp Dealer Markup on the 2010 Camaro SS