Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After comparing specs of the Civic Hybrid and Insight, the Insight makes little sense

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I'm glad to see consumers see it for what it was. A half-assed attempt.

Honda originally expected the Insight to sell 90,000 units in the first year. In an interview with Bloomberg, John Mendel, Honda’s U.S. executive vice president, said that it looks like the Insight’s first year sales will be between 50,000 and 60,000 units. That would mean the Insight would miss its initial sales goal by about 33%.
I don't quite agree on the reasoning. Since the Insight was introduced (and some of these figures were compiled), gas-pump prices have risen sharply....87 octane is now $2.65 in my neighborhood. That will be a strong incentive, in the next few months, for sales of small hybrids. Some potential Insight sales may (?) have also been postponed by prospective customers waiting to see what the new Prius will be like before making a decision. Well, the new Prius is out now, and, while it does indeed have an advanced hybrid drivetrain (much more so than the Insight's), much of the rest of the car, IMO, is disappointing. Even though the Insight, admittedly, lacks a decent-sized rear seat and headroom and has a virtually all-hard plastic interior, I think that it shows better build quality, overall, than the new Prius.