Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Acura A Luxury Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 10:06 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Acura is a luxury brand. There is no doubt about it. While Lexus is more of full line luxury brand which appeal across most price points, Acura has more defined image and has a more focus target.

I don't mind Acura. I like their cars.

Just because you like them doesn't make them a luxury brand.

Their cars are noisy, materials are sub-par, service is totally incomparable to Lexus / BMW / Benz, they don't offer true power / performance (V8 / RWD), dealership network operates more like a Dodge dealer...nothing about them us luxurious. They are a fancy Honda with slightly cooler toys.

The only reason Acura is as popular as they are is their dirt-cheap lease payments.
Old 05-04-09, 10:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
Their cars are noisy, materials are sub-par,
Other Acuras, yes, to an extent, but DEFINITELY not the RL. That car is solid.
Old 05-04-09, 10:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But not that reliable according to C&D's long term test.
Old 05-04-09, 11:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nope. Especially if we need to have a thread about Acura asking if they are a luxury brand every other month, then of course not. We wouldn't be debating any of this if they were a luxury brand.

Whats funny is the fact that we have said everything this writer said years ago.
Old 05-04-09, 11:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not my a far stretch. the RL might marginally be one, but all other cars in the lineup are nothing i consider luxury. the rsx and rdx are jokes for luxury cars standard. the mdx, tsx, and tl are better but still i find things that put them away as true luxury cars. honestly, the genesis blow them away.

like gferg said, it's really boring when we see this kind of thread so often
Old 05-05-09, 01:45 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, as far as sales go. In my area, the RL sells decently, but nationally, it has never done well. But that is not necessarily the car's fault. The VW Phaeton was also a superb car that didn't sell well....worse than the RL's figures, for that matter.

As far as Tier-2 luxury, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Tier-2". If "Tier 1" means vehicles in the Maybach/Rolls Royce class, then an RL would probably be a Tier 3 or Tier 4. If you consider Tier 1 to be a Lexus LS600H, Mercedes S600, Audi A8 V12, or BMW 760, then, yes, an RL would probably then be a Tier 2. Compared to a standard Lexus LS460, an RL would probably be a Tier 1.5. But, otherwise, it compares favorably with most other so-called 'luxury" cars, especially the Cadillacs and Lincolns we design here in America.
Ultra Lux Tier: Maybach, RR, and Bently
Tier 1: MB, BMW, Lex
Tier 2: Acura, Infiniti, Audi, Jag, Cadi, Lin
Tier 3: Volvo, Saab, Buick
and so on IMHO
Old 05-05-09, 01:47 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Jaguar and Audi are tier one, not sure how they wouldn't be?
Old 05-05-09, 03:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tier 1: MB, BMW, Audi
Tier 1.5: Lexus, Jag
Tier 2: Infiniti, Lincoln, Caddy
Tier 2.5: Acura
Tier 3: Volvo, Saab, etc
Old 05-05-09, 03:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
Just because you like them doesn't make them a luxury brand.

Their cars are noisy, materials are sub-par, service is totally incomparable to Lexus / BMW / Benz, they don't offer true power / performance (V8 / RWD), dealership network operates more like a Dodge dealer...nothing about them us luxurious. They are a fancy Honda with slightly cooler toys.

The only reason Acura is as popular as they are is their dirt-cheap lease payments.
IMO, the new TL is a superb automobile.................that looks like crap. The RL, also, is a very well built, tank of a car, with superior build quality, that also looks somewhat decent.
Old 05-05-09, 05:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Tier 1: MB, BMW, Audi
Tier 1.5: Lexus, Jag
Tier 2: Infiniti, Lincoln, Caddy
Tier 2.5: Acura
Tier 3: Volvo, Saab, etc
I agree with this list. Tier 1 luxury automakers should offer buyers plenty of choices in the luxury & high performance department. Maybe I want red leather with black wood instead of the typical tan with walnut or black with walnut.. Perhaps I want to take a tour of the factory where my car is built, visit the museums, drive a car like the one I ordered on a road course, giving me a complete understanding of all features and benefits included in my new vehicle. Hell, I want a behind the scenes perspective of the car I am buying rather than what is being shown on t.v. commercials, magazines & salesman... Here is an example of what tier 1.

Taking Delivery of your New Audi in Ingolstadt, Germany

Visit the Customer Center of Audi Forum Ingolstadt and Welcome to the heart of Audi!

The Customer Center of Audi Forum Ingolstadt lies at the vibrant epicenter of Audi. This is where you will take delivery of your new Audi! It is a direct expression of our philosophy and an effective medium for communicating the fascination of the Audi world. The Customer Center, “Audi museum mobile”, the “Market and Customer” building and the expansive Piazza, with their open design and transparent architecture, lend a unique flair.

Before our customers take delivery of their new Audi at the Customer Center of Audi Forum Ingolstadt, we welcome our customers to take a 120 minute guided tour of our factory and visit our world famous historical museum. This is when our customers will experience a vivid insight into Audi’s philosophy, views and heritage. Thereafter, our customers will have a professional “walk around” of their new Audi and will learn how to operate their new vehicle and get a complete understanding of all features and benefits included with this incredible automobile. A fascinating experience to add to the excitement of your new car.

Audi Forum Ingolstadt
D-85045 Ingolstadt
Phone +49 (0) 841 89-37575
Fax +49 (0) 841 89-41860 http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...y_Process.html
Some pride maybe tarnished but, Lexus & the others has a ways to go imo.
Old 05-05-09, 05:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, Acura is a luxury brand but they are not tier 1 yet.
Old 05-05-09, 05:50 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

IMO
Tier 1: MB,BMW,Audi,Lexus,Jag
Tier 2: Acura,Infiniti,Lincoln,Caddy
Tier 3: Volvo,Saab

I also like Acura but unfortunately they are not true luxury car yet IMO. They will definitely need to expand their product line and cover all the basis. Their product might not win any award but I would not go so far and said it's junk. Please keep in mind that ES350 is also just a dress up camry. TL match up against the ES350 nicely not so much with the IS/3 series due to it's size. Maybe the TSX with the V6 can match up against the IS250 and the 328. Don't know until we did a comparision. Although Acura does not have the prestige of Lexus and BMW, so people might not consider it because of the name. I would but that just me.
Old 05-05-09, 05:52 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Shouldn't Audi be in the same class as Lexus/bmw/benz? You guys mentioned over n' over that Acura is not a "tier 1" because it doesn't have V8 engines or RWD. Audi has V10/v12 and a super car when lexus just have LS600h which is neither v10 or v12.
Old 05-05-09, 06:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Acura started out pretty good, but it fell to competitions soon after that. They needed to make smaller and cheaper cars to survive, which they did. Now, most of their lineup is the so called poor man's luxury car. In my opinion, Acura is no more a luxury brand than Infinity, both company on the outside looking in.
Old 05-05-09, 06:22 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As I readied thru this entire thread a lot posts are basis off a person opinion. In a lot ways I don't feel Lexus is a true luxury car company. But that’s my personal opinion not someone else. The LS600h is a huge try but I think its a waste. Honestly when I think luxury car I think of something I dream about having. Hey! That’s just me.
Personally a lot so call car companies don’t offer something I like. Is Acura a luxury car company I would honestly say No!! Acura has been slipping for years.

Quick Reply: Is Acura A Luxury Brand?