Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Acura A Luxury Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 11:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the tier system. It helps stratify these brands in some logical way. The only problem is that the system varies from person to person. I would agree with the breakdown above with Jaguar somehow split between tiers 1 and 2 since they do have a legitimate full-sized luxury sedan and Porsche being tier 1. I don't think it has as much to do with sales as it does prestige and image perception.

That said, there's probably another level above tier one called, I dunno... Tier Prime which would include low-volume, hyper-exclusive brands like Rolls, Bentley, Aston, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and the like.
Old 05-05-09, 11:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys Bently/Maybach etc is not a Tier. Those are super saloons. They are like exotics, in their own class.

Tier 1- BMW/Benz/Lexus/Audi (V-8, RWD, true D-class flagships)
(now in America/Worldwide public perceptions may have Audi/Lexus swap places)
Tier II-CAddy, Lincoln, Infiniti, Volvo (V-8s offered, no D class flagship)
Tier III- Acura, Saab, Buick. etc (mostly FWD, V-6, small lineup offered)

As Andrew stated, some cars within a brand do not fall into that "Tier" (his Benz A/B class example is on point). Concerning Audi, while America is not overally receptive to them, their lineup is by far Tier I, from the S4, S5 to R8 to W-12 A8.

I hope this helps everyone.
Nice write up 1sicklex, thats about the best break down I have heard so far. I would add the Genesis to the Tier 3 line up.
Old 05-05-09, 11:53 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Acura is still a lux brand IMO. But I don't exactly put them on par with the other lux brands. Their current lineup leaves leaves me feeling a little empty inside.

I used to love the Honda/Acura brand when I was a kid. How could you not, growing up in CA with imports all around you. Now, it's almost like an afterthought. Which is quite disappointing.

Bring back the Integra, Legend ,NSX and S2000 dammit!
Old 05-05-09, 04:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

acura has the features... on paper.

when you see the acura cars with your eyes, that's a whole other story.
Old 05-05-09, 04:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still trying to remember who Acura is and what they do...
Old 05-05-09, 07:01 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would add the Genesis to the Tier 3 line up.

Old 05-05-09, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I would add the Genesis to the Tier 3 line up.
So would I. It ranks, luxury-wise, somewhere between the RWD Lexus IS and GS.
Old 05-05-09, 10:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with this article. Acura is nothing but an "ultra-Accord" brand. No luxury off-road (body-on-frame) SUVs. No hybrids. No V8s. No RWD. The interior of all Acuras look similar to one another, and in effect look similar to an Accord interior as well.
Old 05-05-09, 11:53 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The A8, A4, and A3, as I understand it, according to VW itself, share platforms with equivalent VW products...Phaeton, Passat, and Jetta/Golf. The TT is a somewhat reworked version of the Jetta/Golf platform. The Q7 is a slightly stretched version of the VW Touraeg/Porsche Cayenne platform; the Q5 the VW Tiguan's. The A5/A6, I'm not sure of.

The Audi A8 is based on the D3 platform, which is a highly reworked version of the D1 platform which underpins the VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental/Flying Spur. The A8 uses aluminum for the spaceframe, which is why it has it's own platform code.

The current PQ46 (B6) Passat/CC is essentially a stretched and slightly widened Golf/Jetta platform. This platform is shared with no Audi products at all. The A4, A5 and Q5 are based on the B8 platform, which again, is not used by VW at all. The Tiguan is not shared with Audi, this is false. The Q7 and Touareg share the same plaform as the Cayenne, but each is vastly different from an exterior and interior standpoint. The A3 is based on the Golf yet there is no resemblance at all.

Audi also engineers engines in an autonomous manner. The 2.0TFSI found on the new Audi's is different from VW's 2.0 TSI. The VW narrow angle VR6 engines are not used on any Audis but the Q7. Ditto on the W8, ditto on the Audi 2.8, 3.0 V6s, 3.2 FSI, and 4.2 FSI, all not used by VW.

You really have to understand the way Audi has always operated under the mother company. There was always a certain animosity between the two engineering groups, especially on the Audi side, and especially in the late 90s. VW has long given Audi lots of breathing space to do what want to over in Ingolstadt. This strucutre is vastly different to that of an Acura/Honda or Nissan/Infiniti relationship, which are just essentially divisional brands. Audi is a separate entity which falls under the VW Group umbrella.

Last edited by FKL; 05-05-09 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 07:17 AM
xioix
Racer

I'd call it a premium brand and not a luxury brand
Old 05-06-09, 07:21 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by FKL
The Audi A8 is based on the D3 platform, which is a highly reworked version of the D1 platform which underpins the VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental/Flying Spur. The A8 uses aluminum for the spaceframe, which is why it has it's own platform code.

The current PQ46 (B6) Passat/CC is essentially a stretched and slightly widened Golf/Jetta platform. This platform is shared with no Audi products at all. The A4, A5 and Q5 are based on the B8 platform, which again, is not used by VW at all. The Tiguan is not shared with Audi, this is false. The Q7 and Touareg share the same plaform as the Cayenne, but each is vastly different from an exterior and interior standpoint. The A3 is based on the Golf yet there is no resemblance at all.

Audi also engineers engines in an autonomous manner. The 2.0TFSI found on the new Audi's is different from VW's 2.0 TSI. The VW narrow angle VR6 engines are not used on any Audis but the Q7. Ditto on the W8, ditto on the Audi 2.8, 3.0 V6s, 3.2 FSI, and 4.2 FSI, all not used by VW.

You really have to understand the way Audi has always operated under the mother company. There was always a certain animosity between the two engineering groups, especially on the Audi side, and especially in the late 90s. VW has long given Audi lots of breathing space to do what want to over in Ingolstadt. This strucutre is vastly different to that of an Acura/Honda or Nissan/Infiniti relationship, which are just essentially divisional brands. Audi is a separate entity which falls under the VW Group umbrella.
Currently Audi is moving away from chassis sharing with VW, but they used to have A4 and Passat on the same platform
Old 05-06-09, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL

Thanks for the explanation as I am not sure what/if they shared platforms. I have read the last gen A6 shared its platform with the Passat but they gave it its own platform this time around.

Old 05-08-09, 04:42 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I would rather have a Honda than a Acura, Acura's are just so ugly lately, plus FWD is not in the luxury vocabulary.
Old 05-08-09, 04:45 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalvano
Acura is not a luxury brand.

BMW, M-B, & Lexus are the only mainstream luxury car makers, and not all of their offerings are luxury cars.
Audi isn't a luxury brand per say but has luxurious cars for sure! RS6, S8, R8 etc. Audi IMO is getting close to being a "mainstream" luxury brand and building some of the most beautiful and well engineered vehicles in the world!

Last edited by 8speed; 05-08-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 04:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two
Honestly, I would rather have a Honda than a Acura, Acura's are just so ugly lately, plus FWD is not in the luxury vocabulary.
Yes I agree, but the latest Pilots and Accord sedans are pretty ugly too.

Quick Reply: Is Acura A Luxury Brand?