Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Acura A Luxury Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 05:00 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes I agree, but the latest Pilots and Accord sedans are pretty ugly too.
Honda/Acura has yet to build a relevant car...............the NSX was close, but they kept it in production entirely too long without making the improvements to keep customers interested past it's shelf life. Same can be said for the torqueless, high schoolers on a friday night cruising S2000
Old 05-08-09, 05:54 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8speed
Audi isn't a luxury brand per say but has luxurious cars for sure! RS6, S8, R8 etc. Audi IMO is getting close to being a "mainstream" luxury brand and building some of the most beautiful and well engineered vehicles in the world!
I really like Audi, actually. Their interiors are excellent, as are the design of their cars.

Maybe it's just around here, but their dealer network keeps them from being true luxury.
Old 05-08-09, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honda/Acura has yet to build a relevant car...............the NSX was close, but they kept it in production entirely too long without making the improvements to keep customers interested past it's shelf life. Same can be said for the torqueless, high schoolers on a friday night cruising S2000

NSX did receive many many improvements, it went from 250hp to 290hp, styling was changed quite a bit, and many (overpriced) tuned version of the NSX are still holding their own against the most modern contenders.

As far as consumers not being interested in it past its shelf life, have you checked lately how much used NSX sell for?

And for the torqueless S2000, did you ever drive one? The 2.2 S2000 dynos at 240whp stock, so Honda obviously underrated the power of this car, and its probably making 270-280hp at the crank, and the torqueless statement is absolutely ridiculous and irrelevant... The car might not be making much power at low end, but due to its high redline its power range is just as good or better as anything else and it delivers great acceleration and outstanding handling. Drive one and you will love it. With that being said, the S2000 is not an Acura.

As far as relevant Acuras besides the NSX? Well, whether you like or not, but the Integra is very relevant and has a cult following. The original Legend was very relevant. The TL was always a top seller as well, right there with the ES and 3 series. Acura's SH-AWD system is very relevant as well, as it is the most advanced all wheel drive system in the world.

However as of late Acura's styling became ridiculous, their engines haven't improved since the 90ies, just grew in size to gain a little bit of power, and now they are obviously cutting costs as well by not offering wood trim in TL and TSX and replacing it with tacky, fugly silver painted plastic. I predict the Acura brand will be in deep mess within a year and a half, and I could see them shutting their doors.
Old 05-08-09, 07:58 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I don't care how much you sugarcoat the S2000, it's a freaking convertible honda

Yes I've driven one, and coming from an IS-F, Revo tuned Audi S4, 400 hp STi, and 360 hp E46 M3 the car was torqueless and was a good 100 hp shy of me even thinking twice about owning one (other than it's a honda).....there is no way in hell that car is close to 280 crank HP!

The Integra? You have to be joking...........you sound more fanboy ricer than a true auto enthusiast will all do respect. I thought we were talking luxury cars here............not cars I drove in high school!

Say what you want about the NSX, the interior looked more like a GM product later in its production than anything built by a luxury car maker. I was at a 300+ car meet in Virginia and there were four NSX's and you know what me and my friends said as we rolled through...........oh look, another NSX! Yawn

Last edited by 8speed; 05-08-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 08:07 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Acuras have gone down plain and simple. But I do have to admit they were much more fun to drive than Lexus at the time. I wont make the comparison now as I haven't looked into an Acura/Honda in a long time.
Old 05-08-09, 08:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
Honestly, I would rather have a Honda than a Acura, Acura's are just so ugly lately, plus FWD is not in the luxury vocabulary.
I'm trying to avoid this thread as they are getting really sickening.

But, I must point out the many posts such as this that saying that Acura is a FWD brand....

Anyone care to check their powertrains?

Only the TSX is limited to FWD (just like the more expensive Lexus ES).

RL - SH-AWD
MDX - SH-AWD
RDX - SH-AWD
TL - SH-AWD (available)
ZDX - SH-AWD

And yet we're arguing that they don't offer RWD????

SH-AWD is better than RWD (and better than typical AWD systems too). Since when is it not considered a step up?

It's OK that AUDI does it?

The better version of the Lexus LS (the 600hL), upgrades from RWD to AWD.

And on and on...

Seems like people are just pulling at straws to add to the bash fest.

Old 05-08-09, 08:11 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Audi AWD is better.............just saying
Old 05-08-09, 08:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Audi AWD is better.............just saying
Proof?

Acura's Super Handling-AWD is an advanced version of AWD.

SH-AWD allows torque to be continuously distributed between front and rear wheels from 70% front/30% rear to 30% front/70% rear, with up to 100% of the rear power being distributed to the outer left or right wheel to assist in cornering and dramatically reducing understeer. For example, in straight line full throttle acceleration, the RL is capable of distributing 40% of torque to the rear wheels and 60% to the front wheels[3]. In a hard turn, of percentage of power distributed to the rear wheels, up to 100% of the rear wheel power can be distributed to the single, outer rear wheel. This action will push the rear around the corner, and helping with steering, reducing understeer and keeping the car balanced and controlled[4]. The effect can be likened to steering in a row boat where applying more power to one oar can turn the boat.

The SH-AWD all-wheel drive system was lauded by Popular Science as one of the best automotive innovations of 2004, and earned the 2005 "Tech car of the year" from cnet.com[5].
Old 05-08-09, 08:32 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Proof?

Acura's Super Handling-AWD is an advanced version of AWD.
I've driven both...........Audi is better

just saying!
Old 05-08-09, 08:33 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

And yet we're arguing that they don't offer RWD????
SH-AWD is nowhere near the same thing as a well put-together RWD car.

SH-AWD is better than RWD (and better than typical AWD systems too). Since when is it not considered a step up?
Not this again. AWD is not "better" than RWD. I know you've been trained to think it is, but it isn't. It's heavier, less balanced, and mostly useless unless you live in the Arctic. Deal with it.
Old 05-08-09, 08:36 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalvano
SH-AWD is nowhere near the same thing as a well put-together RWD car.

Not this again. AWD is not "better" than RWD. I know you've been trained to think it is, but it isn't. It's heavier, less balanced, and mostly useless unless you live in the Arctic. Deal with it.

Don't tell the boys over at Porsche and Lamborghini
Old 05-08-09, 09:08 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Man, reading this thread makes me sad to say that I own an '08 base TL. I love my Acura and it's my second one (had an '05 TSX). The reason I went for the Acura is if you are buying a car (especially luxury) you shouldn't have to pay for some of the options like Lexus and Mercedes offer. For example, the premium package in an RX. Why isn't the base price on an RX already have leather included? Why do I have to buy some package and pay extra? Maybe the new RX's are this way but when my wife and I owned our '04 RX330, we had to pay for the 'premium package' option. Same w/ the xenon headlights. Why pay extra for that? I guess that's why I went with Acura, you get the whole package of leather, great headlights, heated seats, moonroof and so on for one price. I know the premium package includes more than just leather, but, leather should be included in the base price.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Lexus, and I still want an IS, it is just too small and not a practical family car like the 3rd gen TL is.
Old 05-08-09, 09:30 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Don't tell the boys over at Porsche and Lamborghini
Porsche? Oh yeah, aren't their highest-performing cars RWD?

As for Lambo, I'll let Ferrari do the talking on that point.
Old 05-08-09, 09:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Audi isn't a luxury brand per say but has luxurious cars for sure! RS6, S8, R8 etc. Audi IMO is getting close to being a "mainstream" luxury brand and building some of the most beautiful and well engineered vehicles in the world!
Huh? Really?

From somebody that owned one this comment surprises me. In certain regards, Audi is more of an all-around luxury brand than Lexus....like Sick pointed out on the global market.

The reason I highlighted the R8 is that I still don't see what all the fuss is about. I do agree that it is one of the sexiest cars on the road....BUT excluding the forthcoming V10 it is dramatically underpowered for a $150K car. There is a long list of rides that I would choose for that kind of cash before the R8.

I think that there is a valid argument that Lexus may have more appealing vehicle to the non-enthusiast. But Audi kills on the performance aspect.

And btw, NO....Acura is not a true luxury brand, but produces some high quality, above average vehicles.
Old 05-09-09, 02:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't care how much you sugarcoat the S2000, it's a freaking convertible honda
And?

Yes I've driven one, and coming from an IS-F, Revo tuned Audi S4, 400 hp STi, and 360 hp E46 M3 the car was torqueless and was a good 100 hp shy of me even thinking twice about owning one (other than it's a honda).....there is no way in hell that car is close to 280 crank HP!

I'm glad you can afford IS-F, S4, and M3, but these cars are in a little bit different pricing category than the 9 year old S2000, and the S2000 will hold its own against them very well around the track.

The Integra? You have to be joking...........you sound more fanboy ricer than a true auto enthusiast will all do respect. I thought we were talking luxury cars here............not cars I drove in high school!
Fanboy ricer? Not at all. Now, I never said the integra was a luxury car, but it is very damn relevant, it has a big following and for a very good reason.

Say what you want about the NSX, the interior looked more like a GM product later in its production than anything built by a luxury car maker. I was at a 300+ car meet in Virginia and there were four NSX's and you know what me and my friends said as we rolled through...........oh look, another NSX! Yawn
Thats just your own opinion. Some people look at M3 and say "Yawn, another 3 series"

And as far as the interior looking like a GM product? With leather stitched dashboard?

Go see what the interiors of Ferrari's in the 90ies looked like.

Last edited by Och; 05-09-09 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Is Acura A Luxury Brand?