Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dept. of Taxation... you paid too little for your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 01:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they used to go off the bill of sale, but it was obvious people were selling cars for "$50" and therefore you only had to pay tax on "$50" now they are going by blue book
Old 05-05-09, 01:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is ridiculous and it is just a way to get more money for your state that is in dire need for money. It is even more ridiculous that you have to pay taxes on something you buy used. The taxes were already paid on the vehicle 2 or 3 times when bought new so you should not have to pay them again when selling used. I could not believe I had to pay taxes on a private car sale when I got my GS, the govt had nothing to do with that transaction yet gets a nice cut and to top it off when I was going to re-register it in another state that I was temporarily living in I was going to have to pay another $600+ in taxes based on what the car was worth just to register and get a license plate in that state after paying over $900 just a year before. I would be pissed if the govt decided I got too good a deal on the private transaction and made me pay more to them, how do they know the circumstances of the sale or condition of the car? As to why lawmakers/politicians get away with all this crap and people keep voting for them it just boils down to people keep voting tax happy/fee happy/fine happy/penalty happy Democrats in and don't understand the consequences.

My friend on the east coast gets tickets all the time for parking in front of his house in the city (I got one too before) because the laws are purposely vague. He finds out after days of calling and asking questions you can't park 60 feet from the corner which means the owners of 3 to 4 homes up including his can't legally park in front of their homes without getting tickets which is ridiculous. He then asks if they can at least mark off where you can't park and put up a sign clearly explaining the law and they say they don't have the money/budget to do that. His neighbor finds out and measures the 60feet and spray paints a marker and then puts up two temporary signs saying you will get a ticket if you park here as a warning. The very next day a road crew is there painting over where he marked it and taking away the warning signs and a cop is there asking who did this. The neighbors start complaining of all the tickets they/others get because nobody knows it is illegal to park in that area and it is not marked and the cop could care less and is giving them an attitude, one neighbor says they will just sit on their porches and take turns warning people they can't park there until they put up a sign or change the ordinance and the cop said if they do that they will be fined or arrested. So the state does not have enough money to mark off and put up a simple sign saying you can't park in that section yet suddenly has enough to immediately pay a road crew to come and paint over where someone marked off where you are not allowed to park but there is graffiti all over that they won't pay to remove Fact is they make too much money off of the vague law and will continue to rip people off.
i feel your pain and anger bro...there just ain't no justice anymore!
Old 05-05-09, 01:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4004gs
Well... since much of the parts I bought, repairs made were paid in cash (how horrible that people still use cash!) I need receipts so if any of you can send me JPGs, please do so.
See if you can go to the people who sold you the parts and did the repairs and ask if they can provide some proof or documentation of the sale even if it is them just writing/typing up a bill and maybe have a lawyer take a look at it or have it notorized. It may work as it is some form of documentation and there is a credible witness. See if you can contact the seller and have the seller write that the car was in less then good condition,needed money and a sale quickly, low demand due to a v8, etc as to the reason for the low price and have a lawyer look at it. Thing is if you bought your GS when gas prices were really high then that is when many people were getting rid of v8 vehicles at low prices to purchase a more fuel efficient vehicle. Does that mean all those deals on v8 cars last year were suddenly fraudulent even at dealerships and everyone needs to pay more taxes because they got a good deal on cars with low demand?

This tax law can cause so many problems mainly in people never being able to sell their cars at attractive prices or quickly if they need money because they are going to get investigated if the govt feels the price is too low and the buyer is going to get wacked with extra taxes/fines if they get a too good a deal in the govt's eyes. It can affect the whole market for used cars and cause people to lose tons of money and worse.
Old 05-05-09, 02:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might be in trouble here unless you have some pretty good documentation. Even then, don't expect them to roll on the tax due. They will require you pay it and if you get it reduced they will say they will refund it, which they probably will. But that doesn't help right now. We don't know the circumstances but if there was a reason why you were able to buy the car at considerably under something like KBB, it would have been nice to get an independent appraisal verifying the value.

I assume that NY is just like Cali right now and they are scratching for every buck they can get. I have been in business for thirty years but we have had more audits and investigations in the last six months than we have had in the previous 29 1/2 years. The states can't just print money like the Feds so they are going after anything they can and the computer is their friend. We had one issue that the state wanted about $30K from us. We showed them that they were wrong and they accepted our explanation. They still wanted the $30K and gave us the, "we'll refund it to you". We found out that that branch of Cali tax agency we were dealing with had an ombudsman. We contacted them and they quickly understood what the problem was, agreed with us (as did the agency claiming the tax), and they could issue a stop order on the processing, which they did on the spot. If you are sure you have enough backup, you might want to see if the state agency you are dealing with has such an office. I don't like to say anything nice about taxes and Cali but in this instance, they did the right thing, quickly, and without complication. But we had all the documentation to support our case. Good luck.
Old 05-05-09, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

As I said... this guy didn't know me nor did he owe me any favors. He and I both had a signed bill of sale for $5,000. So essentially the state is accusing us both of fraud.
If $5000 was the honest price (And I'll take your word for it that it was), then, you two probably don't have anything to worry about. The legal burden is on the state to prove he paid more.....which, of course, they can't prove, if he didn't. But, if the state supoenas bank records, though, and finds that he wrote you a check for a lot more than $5000, that would be a different matter.
Old 05-05-09, 05:30 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If $5000 was the honest price (And I'll take your word for it that it was), then, you two probably don't have anything to worry about. The legal burden is on the state to prove he paid more.....which, of course, they can't prove, if he didn't. But, if the state supoenas bank records, though, and finds that he wrote you a check for a lot more than $5000, that would be a different matter.
I bought the car from him not the other way around. And I paid cash.
Old 05-05-09, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I bought the car from him not the other way around. And I paid cash.

OK...sorry. I went the wrong direction on that last post, and got you and him mixed up. But, I don't need to add anything else anyway. Good Luck. I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-05-09, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes that’s basically right. You are guilty until you have prove that you are innocent. Got to love how government try to generate revenue these days.
ah the french system of justice. liberals love all things european, including obscene taxes.
Old 05-05-09, 08:30 PM
M5Guy
Driver School Candidate

gs4004gs
Sorry, but it is guys like you that force states to charge taxes based on estimated market value vs. actual sale value. You say you paid cash and both you and the seller will attest to it, but that's just not proof. It does not matter how much you spent on the car or how bad of shape it was in. Unless you can PROVE you paid only $5K for the car (and paying cash was a bad idea here BTW), then you need to just pony up the money. I for one don't blame the state. Put yourself in their shoes. How many other people under pay their fair share of taxes?

Originally Posted by mteele
Same kind of thing just happened to my parents in Florida. My father has his own company and had bought a 2002 SC430 brand new back in 02 thru the business. Since the business could no longer depreciate its value on the books and it was paid off, the business sold the car to my mom as a private individual for $10.00 .
Your parents broke the law. The Federal Tax law that is.

1. The car must be sold at an "arms length transaction" and that disqualifies anyone in your family from buying it.

2. A brand new 2002 SC430 would not be depreciated even today by the current depreciation schedule for cars (a V8 X5 would be a different story). The FACT is that the car still had lots of value on the books* and by selling it for $10 your Dad was able to write-off the rest as a loss. This is known as tax fraud.

If your Dad gets audited, he is toast. Oh so is his accountant.

*If you don't believe me, go check out the depreciation schedule for cars owned by a business.
Old 05-05-09, 09:21 PM
gs4004gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M5Guy
gs4004gs
Sorry, but it is guys like you that force states to charge taxes based on estimated market value vs. actual sale value.
I love people like you... know why? Because it's people like you who prove over and over what's wrong with the way the law works.

A. You don't know me or anything about me
B. This was your first post in these forums and it's on a tax related subject. That alone makes you suspect.
C. I've ALWAYS paid my fair share of taxes, done my time defending this great country AND support any laws that are fair and reasonable.

So... you're saying that in the eyes of NYS, if I got a bargain, I should be penalized for it?

Please... if Walmart had a sale on toilet paper and you paid $4 for what is normally $8 but your state tried to tax you on the entire $8 you would welcome it?
Old 05-05-09, 09:57 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

The state already got their taxes when the original owner purchased the car new.

I hate it when the state gets tax money over and over again when a transfer occurs. One vehicle could be sold 20 times and get taxed each time. The state already is making their share. Fight it!
Old 05-05-09, 10:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow......This is def messed up. What if I want to sell my car for $100, why is this illegal?????

In Brooklyn and NYC in general, things are very bad due to the budget deficit. There are 2-3 cop cars on each major block working to give tickets. I have been pulled over more times last year than I have my whole life. So far I have paid over 1k in tickets, with 2 more pending. BTW these judges FIND U GUILTY no matter what.

If u dont drive, u also get scewed by the great people at MTA.
Old 05-06-09, 12:36 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i feel for you man.

hope things work out one way or another.
Old 05-06-09, 02:38 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Wow......This is def messed up. What if I want to sell my car for $100, why is this illegal?????

In Brooklyn and NYC in general, things are very bad due to the budget deficit. There are 2-3 cop cars on each major block working to give tickets. I have been pulled over more times last year than I have my whole life. So far I have paid over 1k in tickets, with 2 more pending. BTW these judges FIND U GUILTY no matter what.

If u dont drive, u also get scewed by the great people at MTA.
there is NO way out of this.... they raised the fair on train/bus rides a year back and now they are talking about raising it MORE????.. it's disgusting how the little people get screwed...

As to respond back to the person about signs on the street, i AGREE 100%.. you have to be really slick to live in this city. on a avg there are about 3 to 4 signs on a poll about parking. And these cops are there on the dot. Also street cleaning, if you don't move your car for that. Not only will you be tickted, but also will get a fat neon sticker on your side glass window...

back to the topic, if the buyer and seller both sign the DMW form that stated Seller paid a certain amount and Buyer received that same certain amount. What else can you do about it?? i call it BS .. fight it.. send whatever documents you can find.. like stated on some of the post, the State already collected a large sum of the tax when the car was new.
Old 05-06-09, 05:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
there is NO way out of this.... they raised the fair on train/bus rides a year back and now they are talking about raising it MORE????.. it's disgusting how the little people get screwed...
Why do you say the "little" people get screwed? MTA is subsidized and cheap anyways, please. Why do those who drive have to pay out of their ***, and those who use public transportation receive low subsidized fares?

I think everyone should pay their fair share. If the cost of running MTA is higher than fares collected, that means they have to increase fares. I dont even understand why people are whining about that. It costs what, $2.50 for a single fare or $70 per month unlimited? The cost of owning, fueling, maintaining, and parking even the cheapest vehicle is many times that. Even if they increase the fares to $10 (what it should be IMO) thats still way cheapear than all costs associated with a car.

Quick Reply: Dept. of Taxation... you paid too little for your car