Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

UK Satisfaction survey. Lexus #1. Fiat dead last

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 11:25 AM
LexFather

Arrow UK Satisfaction survey. Lexus #1. Fiat dead last

http://www.motorauthority.com/fiat-r...-chrysler.html

Chrysler's vehicles, like all of America's cars, have improved greatly in recent years. But not-too-distant memory reminds us of the Le Baron and even of another ill-fated Italian tie-up and its Maserati-branded spawn. So Fiat's poor scores in the most recent JD Power survey in the United Kingdom gives cause to wonder if the Fiat-Chrysler union might ultimately be a tragic one.
Fiat's role in helping to save Chrysler post-bankruptcy was applauded by President Obama just days ago, but already the naysayers are building their case. And unfortunately, it's shaping up to be a decent one. The latest JD Power figures put Fiat at the bottom - 28th of 28 - in UK satisfaction rankings. Lexus, Skoda, Honda, Toyota and Jaguar filled out the top 5 spots, while Citroen, Kia, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi and Fiat rounded out the bottom five.

Which is a roundabout way of saying Fiat's car's aren't exactly renowned for their reliability in Europe, nor are those of sister brand Alfa Romeo though the brand wasn't separated in the results list. The last time either car was sold in the U.S. they had developed and suffered from a reputation for unreliability that ultimately contributed to their retreat from our shores.

Now the continued poor performance of Fiat in markets where it's already established calls into question whether the Italian company will be able to turn things around at Chrysler, or whether the partnership will just degenerate into a downward spiral of poor design feeding poor execution. On the other hand, Fiat also makes brilliant cars like the 500, which slots into a segment where Chrysler is completely absent.

Will the synergies make both companies better than they are on their own? Or will the Fiat-Chrysler partnership make the DaimlerChrysler era seem like a golden age?

Old 05-05-09, 11:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know about you guys, but I would never buy a Fiat or an Alfa Romeo.
Old 05-05-09, 11:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w00t
Old 05-05-09, 12:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to Lexus, Skoda, Honda, and the other brands that did well...Fiat definitely has room for improvement...watch out Chrysler!
Old 05-05-09, 01:05 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

I think Chrysler set to fail
Old 05-05-09, 03:37 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
I think Chrysler set to fail
I have to agree.
Old 05-05-09, 04:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait, isnt Fiat suposed to milk... err save Chrysler?!?!
Old 05-05-09, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

History repeats itself....and in this case, may have never really changed. Though we didn't have as accurate a satisfaction-survey system back in the 1980's as we do now, Fiat, in the minds of many Americans, also ranked last or almost last when they sold cars in this country. It was the attitude of many Americans that, with at least some justification, drove Fiat and corporate cousins Lancia and Bertone out of the American market 25 years ago. Alfa Romeo, with the Spyder and later the 164 sedan, hung on till 1994, but the increasing cost of U.S. regulations and doing buisness in America drove them out, too (I remember looking over the last Alfa 164 model sold in America at the 1994 D.C Auto Show).

There has been some talk of Fiat, if it gains a share of Chrysler ownership (which seems more certain now), either doing joint Chrysler-Fiat small cars or rebadging Fiats for sale in America as Chrysler products. Time will tell if joint Fiat-contributed vehicles such as those will prove decent and reliable, but there is one glimmer of hope.....the Suzuki SX-4, which was jointly develped between Suzuki and Fiat. When I reviewed an AWD SX-4 a couple of years ago, I was very impressed with it for the money (how many AWD vehicles start at 15-16K and have a 3-position switch for FWD/AWD/AWD Lock?). Its build quality also seemed quite high; perhaps (?) more because of Suzuki than Fiat. I then pronounced it the best small-car AWD value in America, ahead of the Subaru Impreza (remember that, 1SICKLEX?...you commented on it, too).

Still, Fiat boss Sergio Marchione had better make sure, if he plans to re-introduce Fiats or Fiat-designed/contributed products back into the American market, that the quality is high enough this time that he doesn't have a repeat of the disasterous 1970's and 1980's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

for Lexus! I wouldn't mind driving some of those Alfa's tho, maybe a 159 or an 8C Competizione!!
Old 05-05-09, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
for Lexus! I wouldn't mind driving some of those Alfa's tho, maybe a 159 or an 8C Competizione!!
Though I haven't driven one for some time, from my memories, and from what I've read about them overseas, Alfas are not your typical boring, appliance-like, Camry or Accord. Though somewhat short on reliability, they have real character and driving personality, like many BMWs. I've never liked the typical Italian tendency, though, to mount the steering wheel close to the dash, which forces an arms-out driving style, but that is, of course, helped by modern telescoping steering columns and multi-adjustable seats.
Old 05-05-09, 06:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

alfas are definelty nothing like Camry or Accord... 159 is more of IS/3 series competitor.

Exterior and interior are nicely designed, there is no room at back seats but problem is reliability which they have been promising for decades to fix.
Old 05-05-09, 06:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

My parents owned to little Fiats when I grew up in my very younger years in New Jersey, and those turned out to be reliable little cars. We'll just have to see how they fare in the U.S.
Old 05-05-09, 07:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Love how jag has come back in the reliability surveys and alfa, i don't care how unreliable they are, i will own one.
Old 05-05-09, 07:45 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Wait wait wait!! Skoda is at the top which is weired because they are basicly rebaged vw's. yet vw is at the bottom here in the state's.
Old 05-05-09, 11:38 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

1SICK, I'm not sure how much faith I'd put into these "JD Power" lists. As drunkdave mentioned above, the results are sketchy at best. They rate Volkswagen second to the bottom in the US, but Skoda, which builds all their vehicles on existing VW Group platforms, rates at number two in a UK survey? How could that be? Further, Audi is right next to Honda and Porsche on that same US list, and the parent brand is second to last?

It doesn't seem to mean much, and I wouldn't judge the validity of the Chrysler/Fiat deal based on some skewed JD power results.

Quick Reply: UK Satisfaction survey. Lexus #1. Fiat dead last