Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM recalls 2010 Camaros

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 02:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, this is not at all what GM needs. ...
Old 05-06-09, 03:11 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At least it was something as simple as a battery cable. Easy fix. I remember when I used to have to readjust my ES300 battery cable every couple of weeks or my car wouldn't start. In my case it was just an old cable and terminal, but simply either way.
Old 05-06-09, 05:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

A faulty battery cable is at fault, with Chevy dealers standing by to repair the problem.

However, the faulty battery cable can pose a serious risk to 2010 Camaro SS owners – as the car can simply stop running – leading GM to recommend owners have the cars towed to the nearest dealership.
Now who would have thought the notion that the dealers would repair the problem was something that needed to be mentioned in a press release on the recall? Oh, and don't forget, per the current administration, everyone in this country is prepared to go further into debt to cover warrranty repairs on these cars for their owners.

Does that mean we have to pay the towing bill as well?
Old 05-06-09, 07:18 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Already?

FAIL

Reason #158 why I would never buy American
Old 05-06-09, 07:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Be easy on them, they only had like 5 years to work out the kinks on this car.

Old 05-06-09, 07:40 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Be easy on them, they only had like 5 years to work out the kinks on this car.

LMFAO

No kidding right

Why doesn't GM just concede that they suck at life and stick to strictly producing Z06's and ZR1's
Old 05-06-09, 09:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
You are kidding me! And people say there is no worry about American quality!
LOL. Nothings changed but the date. At a time of total economic crisis it has to be obvious that quality will have to suffer.....again.
Old 05-06-09, 09:24 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

I have had GM vehicles in the past and grew up with them. I simply cannot stand GM any longer. That being said, there was a problem with the 2IS when it was introduced, and they would not allow any dealer to deliver the IS for (i think) a couple of weeks. It had to do with the accelerator pedal.
Old 05-07-09, 01:04 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy kids, its not that big of a news story unless you hate GM and are looking for a reason to bash them. My 2005 Honda mini-van had 8 recalls or "service notices" the first year.
Old 05-07-09, 02:22 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimxo
Easy kids, its not that big of a news story unless you hate GM and are looking for a reason to bash them. My 2005 Honda mini-van had 8 recalls or "service notices" the first year.
My 07 GS 350 has about 5 or more bigger ones, yet none of them stop the car from being drivable in any way. The only thing that actually needed replacing was a faulty bluetooth module.

The first gen 03 Pilot we used to own had about 2-3...one of them was the addition of a transmission cooler...so it was semi-serious. We had it done, but no issues relating to it ever came up. Nothing ever broke and all that it required was routine maintainance over the span of 6 years/100,000 km.

Before than we had a 97 Chevy Blazer with a couple dozen TSBs. Here is what went wrong that caused the car to stall or not start or cause a safety issue:
- exploding battery - it had a huge hole in the side...car could be jumped but would die if you used the brakes or the transmission did a shift. Brakes don't work without it and it stalled on a hill!
- biodegradable transmission - caused a neck snapping surge between 1st and 2nd gear, virtually undrivable
- brake failure - my father nearly got into a huge accident due to this...he managed to pump the brakes and get it to stop
Non critical:
A/C died
alternator died
I don't believe any of these were TSBs.

So I would take your Honda mini-van any time before anything from GM. I wouldn't touch anything GM after that harrowing experience.
Old 05-07-09, 06:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
battery cable was probably 'MADE IN CHINA' for .02

In this case, it wasnt the cheap Chinese cable but its was the moron American Engineers.
Old 05-07-09, 06:05 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- so SS stands for SUPER SCREWED!!
Old 05-07-09, 06:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

something else to look at ---- in San Antonio, Toyota has an open communication system with its assembly line workers to mention ANYTHING that appears to be a problem or may turn into a problem -- I'm guessing in the GM plants if someone suspects something is not right the lowly assembly line worker can do nothing about it..."its not your job to design it, just build it"......again, just a guess on my part, but policies like that have to change!
Old 05-07-09, 07:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
something else to look at ---- in San Antonio, Toyota has an open communication system with its assembly line workers to mention ANYTHING that appears to be a problem or may turn into a problem -- I'm guessing in the GM plants if someone suspects something is not right the lowly assembly line worker can do nothing about it..."its not your job to design it, just build it"......again, just a guess on my part, but policies like that have to change!
I think the difference between the 2 factories is that Toyota would actually try to do something about the problem, where as GM would say we want to hear your problem but do nothing about it.
Old 05-07-09, 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Saw the new SS in a shopping center parking lot yesterday. Orange with a lot of ugly black stripe and hood graphics. I'm sure these cars will be common around here in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: GM recalls 2010 Camaros