Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW slams the Prius [again]

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 07:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Start off with some required reading. The popular mechanics article on the last page should suffice. Point being, the EPA vastly underestimates the TDI's mileage figures, a phenomenon even they have acknowledged.
The new EPA numbers underestimates pretty much all cars now (unless you drive aggressively). The old system was actually more accurate for normal driving. So yes, the TDI will achieve better than EPA figures but so doesn't the Prius. In fact, people regularly report 60 mpg with the old Prius. The new one should do it even more easily.

Point is, is that there is still a large gap between the two cars.

Originally Posted by FKL
The entire point is that you can even get a stick with a Jetta TDI, a vehicle that also [happens] to achieve 45mpg. Not some weird CVT, not some slush box, a tired and true manual - or the world class DSG. That's the point of the "burnout". It seemed pretty clear to me.
I think the real point was to show off it's "power" compared with the Prius.
But with a stick, you don't even need much power for a burnout. I can do it with my Yaris (MT), lol.

And the TDI, it appears, is only available in a manual. Good for us, but not so much for the general American buyer. (like 99% buy auto's).
Old 05-08-09, 07:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyang91
wow.....I never really think of this before but there is some similarity.
Except for the fact they each have 4 doors, 4 wheels, ect. No they don't.
Old 05-08-09, 10:29 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL

Thought I would say I'd wish Toyota would put more effort into making the Prius fun to drive!
I'm sure Tom's will have some mods for the Prius, just like they did for the NHW20s. I'd wish there was a blower or turbo for one - but Autospeed mag in Oz turboed a Prius, it was a PITA though for fuel management.
Old 05-09-09, 12:50 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi and VW are just proving that Toyota\Lexus makes the best cars out there and now they are trying to catch up.
Old 05-09-09, 01:55 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^They are only chasing the volume leader in the N. American market. That doesn't mean their cars are the best. We could move over to Europe and that wouldn't hold at all. Diesels make up about 53% of car sales there.

Originally Posted by JLSC4

And the TDI, it appears, is only available in a manual. Good for us, but not so much for the general American buyer. (like 99% buy auto's).
Well, the dual clutch Direct Shift Gearbox IS essentially a manual transmission. But no, the DSG will shift itself. So, no, you can get an auto, and a damn sophisticated one at that!
Old 05-09-09, 02:01 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The new EPA numbers underestimates pretty much all cars now (unless you drive aggressively). The old system was actually more accurate for normal driving. So yes, the TDI will achieve better than EPA figures but so doesn't the Prius. In fact, people regularly report 60 mpg with the old Prius. The new one should do it even more easily.

Point is, is that there is still a large gap between the two cars.

Those 60mpg figures are with someone driving extremely conservativly. Keep in mind the TDI powerplants can do the same if you hypermill them. I can squeeze 37mpg out of my 2.4 iVTEC Accord 5MT if I drive like a grandma too, but in real life mileage is closer to 30-31 on the highway.

I honestly don't believe there is that large of disparity between the two automobiles, especially on the highway where they are both nearly at parity with eachother. In the city a hybrid obviously has an advantage, no arguments there! But to use the EPA numbers and try and make it seem as if the Prius has a built in 10-15MPG advantage is simply stretching reality in my opinion.

Like 1SICK said before, I think any technologies that can stretch fuel economy like this are great. I'm all for Hybrids and diesels, and unlike some who view this as a zero-sum, hybrids suck!, Diesels are terrible!, situation, I think they can both coexist peacefully, and even complement eachother!

Last edited by FKL; 05-09-09 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 06:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The entire video was not credible at all, and appears to be a joke, of sorts. The "burn-out" test should have proved that.
Old 05-10-09, 07:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL

Thought I would say I'd wish Toyota would put more effort into making the Prius fun to drive!
Try the 2010 with the 17" alloys. You get a better EPS system and quicker steering ratio (initially... then all models will get the quicker steering ratio).
Old 05-10-09, 09:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^I will try it out if I get the chance. I look forward to hearing first hand accounts on the car.

Honestly I've driven the Prius second generation and to *ME* it just feels like a cheap economy car. I'm coming from cars that are more expensive, I know, but it just feels like a spartan compared to a Jetta. I know it has some cool tech toys, but the interior is a little skimpy on quality, the doors are light, the steering is slow and light and boring, and the handling poor, the brakes - well you know. It's great that it gets 50MPG, but I don't know what its selling point would be if it DIDN'T get that type of mileage. It would just be an ugly hatchback alternative to an entry level Camry/top trim Corolla. The Jetta, on the other hand, speaks for itself in standard form. Hell, you can even get the thing in a wagon, which looks better and more sporty than the Prius IMO.

But like you said, I'll reserve all judgment until I can at least see the new Prius 3G for myself
Old 05-11-09, 05:17 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Another Meet the VWs Commercial

This one takes a jab @ the Honda Odyssey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S-WG-Q5a4
& I guess Japan in general for not having an autobahn.
Old 05-11-09, 01:57 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL

Well, the dual clutch Direct Shift Gearbox IS essentially a manual transmission. But no, the DSG will shift itself. So, no, you can get an auto, and a damn sophisticated one at that!
Honda's automatics are based on manuals too - but the shift forks and synchros are replaced with a valve body, a few solenoids and multi-plate hydraulic clutches.

Trucks are using a bigger version of VW's DSG made by ZF and Dana/Fuller.
Old 05-11-09, 02:10 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
This one takes a jab @ the Honda Odyssey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S-WG-Q5a4
& I guess Japan in general for not having an autobahn.
That's hilarious. A rebadged Chrysler having "autobahn" tuned suspension?
Even the suspension is from another Chrysler.
I would say to say the Honda has a more "autobahn tuned suspension" than that car. It's even produced on the same assembly line as the Chrysler.
I knew VW was getting desperate, but hurting their reliability and handling even more is not the way to do it.
Old 05-11-09, 03:54 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

uh, no. Volkswagen spent hundreds of millions of dollars completely retuning the suspension.
Old 05-11-09, 08:05 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
uh, no. Volkswagen spent hundreds of millions of dollars completely retuning the suspension.
Hundreds of millions of dollars?

That seems like a dumb decision now...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/20/g...rtedly-not-lo/

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/30/r...vans-for-febr/
Old 05-11-09, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't the VW minivan using solid beam rear axle from Chrysler and Odyssey is IRS double wishbone suspension?

Quick Reply: VW slams the Prius [again]