Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Institute Survey 2009: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Mercedes 3) Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 11:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Luxury Institute Survey 2009: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Mercedes 3) Lexus

http://www.live-pr.com/en/luxury-ins...1048273066.htm

NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwire) -- 04/30/09 -- The Luxury Institute : www.luxuryinstitute.com/ reported today the top-rated brands in the Luxury and Ultra-Luxury Automobile categories of the 2009 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) : www.luxuryinstitute.com/about/bresearch.html survey, which identifies the top brands that exhibit true luxury in these critical categories. The brands are evaluated in numerous categories based solely on the unbiased ratings of wealthy and ultra-wealthy consumers.

Which luxury automobile brands deliver the best combination of quality, exclusivity, customer experience and peer prestige? High net-worth consumers rated Porsche, Mercedes and Lexus the "Best of the Best" among the 12 brands that were rated. In the Ultra-Luxury Automobiles category, ultra-wealthy consumers rated Maybach, Roll-Royce and Bentley the three most prestigious among 12 brands.

The LBSI asks high net-worth consumers to rate luxury brands by category across four equally weighted components: Consistently Superior Quality, Uniqueness and Exclusivity, Making the Customer Feel Special Across the Entire Experience and Being Consumed by People Who Are Admired and Respected.
Previously they did not show the breakdown in scores. In 2007, Lexus was #3, in 2008 it was #2, now it is #3 again.

The "Best of the Best" are: (LBSI score out of 10)

-- Luxury Automobiles

-- Porsche-7.70

-- Mercedes-7.53

-- Lexus-7.39

-- Ultra-Luxury Automobiles

-- Maybach-7.93

-- Rolls-Royce-7.86

-- Bentley-7.73
Old 05-07-09, 12:03 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

cool to see Lexus included in stuff like this as well. I never see Infiniti on stuff like this . LOL
Old 05-07-09, 07:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 740 Likes on 511 Posts

It's surprising to see Maybach at the top of the UL list. Most of the people I talk to about that level of car tend to prefer Bentley or RR.
Old 05-07-09, 07:08 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice list. I honestly don't see what so exciting about Bentley. The name is catchy but I honestly perfer a Maybach over any 4 door Bentley.
Old 05-07-09, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The Maybach is a big sales flop, and Rolls Royce is doing great, yet it ranks above the RR in this survey, Maybach owners must love them.

I would pick the Maybach interior over the Phantom too, but not the exterior. I would rather just have a S65 AMG, not the Maybach which is based on the previous generation S-class.

I also think while it's great Lexus is in the top 3, these are opinions of actual owners, but do not neccessarily reflect the perception of the general population, many of which do not drive luxury cars. To them, I still think it's Mercedes > BMW > Lexus in prestige ...
Old 05-07-09, 07:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This survey is for the USA only right?
Old 05-07-09, 07:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I think it's for USA only, probably includes Canada too ?
But N. America is the biggest and most important luxury car market in the world. They buy the most high end models.
Old 05-07-09, 07:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, quite predictable.
Old 05-07-09, 08:01 AM
LexFather

It continues to show that Lexus is "legit" (lol) in the eyes of the super-wealthy. I also agree with Andrew that I also see BMW/Benz over Lexus.

Porsche, talk about building and maintaining a brand, do they ever lose?

Old 05-07-09, 08:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The Maybach is a big sales flop, and Rolls Royce is doing great, yet it ranks above the RR in this survey, Maybach owners must love them.

I would pick the Maybach interior over the Phantom too, but not the exterior. I would rather just have a S65 AMG, not the Maybach which is based on the previous generation S-class.

I also think while it's great Lexus is in the top 3, these are opinions of actual owners, but do not neccessarily reflect the perception of the general population, many of which do not drive luxury cars. To them, I still think it's Mercedes > BMW > Lexus in prestige ...
The survey is on "Prestigious" not sales. I think the Phantom trys to hard. "Like hey look at me." Plus every since the Chrysler 300 was made it's not as special anymore in my book.
Even though the Maybach is based on the previous S class to me it kind of says "stop playing" you can't afford me. Man the leather and wood is just crazy in that car.

Hey Lexus deserve to be on the list. The word Lexus is kind of catchy itself. But if they don't start making more high end cars and at least one coupe they're going to be in trouble in a few years.
Old 05-07-09, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogers2
The survey is on "Prestigious" not sales. I think the Phantom trys to hard. "Like hey look at me." Plus every since the Chrysler 300 was made it's not as special anymore in my book.
Yes, I am aware of that, but I've read before that most Rolls Royce owners don't even cross shop the Maybach, so to at least some of them, RR is still the ultimate, and Maybach is not in it's class in brand name. I think that's probably one of the main reasons why Maybach sales is a flop. But the people that actually owns Maybach or both RR and Maybach probably think very high of the Maybach, thus the survey results.

As for the Chrysler 300, I think it looks much closer to Bentleys and previous generations(pre-BMW) RR's than the current Phantom.
The current Phantom looks a lot more imposing on the road than the previous RR's and there is no way it even reminds me of the Chrysler 300.
Old 05-07-09, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
T

Hey Lexus deserve to be on the list. The word Lexus is kind of catchy itself.
They did the research right. I agree the name "Lexus" sounds like a luxury brand. If it wasn't for cars and you heard "Lexus" you would think something high end.

Whats amazing is Lexus probably is high luxury in these peoples eyes not just for the product but b/c of the treatment and quality of the car. To them it is "luxurious". Whereas with the other brands, its luxurious almost "just because" and based more on the actual expensive product.

Lexus has only produced one 100k + car and that was recent, its only 20 years new and they don't offer a huge lineup. Its a testament to the brand!

Old 05-07-09, 10:24 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem with this list, as matter of fact I totally agree with it. Lexus isn't as luxurious as MB in both perception and reality, one could see that easily by comparing a LS to a S-class. However, the S does cost heck a lot more than the LS though...

Those BMW and Audi fanboys who think Lexus isn't tier 1 luxury need to take a close look at this list...