Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is a tad rediculous...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 12:48 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen a lot of high mileage, work related cars. I agree that most modern cars should be able to last a long time racking up miles cruising on the freeways.

I'm more impressed by this high mileage Honda:

It's a 91 NSX. It's been through multiple states, owners, and I'm sure it's lived a much tougher life over those miles. Original engine, never cracked open.
Old 05-11-09, 12:56 PM
LexFather

^^^ Damn!! That is amazing!! I bet its been driven HARD as well with track days possibly.

Wow!

Old 05-11-09, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer

YES, thats 374,947...Three Hundred and Seventy Four Thousand, Nine Hundred and Forty Seven...miles!

Its an 06' Civic EX sedan.

Original Engine, Original Tranny, all hwy miles. He is an Inter-State Courier for a medical supply company.
Wow that 06' Civic EX has a lot of miles. Our 93' Accord has 60K lol
Old 05-11-09, 08:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
its not about the make. to me its more about how cheap can you get a car that can do these kinds of miles? certainly a cheap car will have cheap parts and a ton of miles will certainly weed out the weakest link. a $14k yaris is a pretty good example. after all these guys arent going to buy an expensive car to rack the miles on. question is, how far will a $9,990 versa go? is there anything cheaper?
Yes, the idea is to by an economical car for courier work for many reasons.

- like you said, you don't want to buy a new Lexus and put a 100K a year on it.
- couriers can't afford an expensive car anyway
- gas mileage is extremely important when your driving 400+ miles a day. a car that gets over 35 mpg saves big money over a typical mid-sizer that gets 25-30 mpg.
- maintenance is much cheaper (cheaper parts too).
- Point is, when you have to use your own car, the cheaper it is to operate, the more money you make.

But I'm just stating the obvious.

And as far as new cars, yes, the Versa is matched by the Accent as the cheapest options both at about $9,990. Remember though, that these models are stripped of everything. No radio, no AC, no auto, ect.
Old 05-11-09, 08:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wow that 06' Civic EX has a lot of miles. Our 93' Accord has 60K lol
Uhm, how do you only put 3,750 miles on a car each year? Jeez. Why have it?

The couriers we're talking about drive that much each week and a half.
Old 05-12-09, 01:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Uhm, how do you only put 3,750 miles on a car each year? Jeez. Why have it?

The couriers we're talking about drive that much each week and a half.
Got it from my late grandfather. They never drove the car, just put it on a trailer behind their RV in case they ever needed a car on road trips. It just sits gathering dust now.
Old 05-12-09, 07:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I want to see an audi A3, beetle, or golf do this. Japanese cars rule.
Old 05-13-09, 12:09 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i fully expect my dodge to go at least that far, i'm actually expecting 500k out of it before i have to yank the engine. the days of me changing vehicles every 8-16 months are over, i plan to keep what i have for a while now.
Old 05-13-09, 07:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I wouldnt hold your breath if you think the dodge truck will do 500k with NO repairs. Honda just build better cars.
I know dodge build decent trucks, especially the diesel trucks, but I think its got a snow ***** chance in hell of ever making it to 500k with no major repairs. Let us know. I will bet on the Japanese
Old 05-13-09, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wouldnt hold your breath if you think the dodge truck will do 500k with NO repairs. Honda just build better cars.
I know dodge build decent trucks, especially the diesel trucks, but I think its got a snow ***** chance in hell of ever making it to 500k with no major repairs. Let us know. I will bet on the Japanese
A Ram's diesel engine may go 500K on the block itself (truck diesel blocks typically go the better part of a million miles), but the cylinders, valves, bearings, etc.....typically need overhaul every 200K or so. Larger truck diesels have removable cylinder liners that can be replaced when worn.

The rest of a Dodge truck, I agree, will probably not see 500K.
Old 05-14-09, 10:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well.... of course it will need small things like ball joints, bearings, etc. but the drivetrain should do the 500k. i'm not saying i'll never have to do anything other than change the oil. i use the truck for towing, hauling, etc., so it gets worked and i expect things will wear out. but the engine shouldn't need to be taken apart until that point. hell, i know guys at that mark already who have never cracked the valve cover, and not only that but they are modded to 400+ hp and 900+ ft. lbs and have been for the past 300k miles.
i'm at 200k right now and everythying is tight as new, no rattles, works perfectly.
Old 05-14-09, 11:20 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will bet on the Japanese
Go right ahead - all cars have problems.

Honda transmission failure every 70K sound familiar? My 2002 EX V6, supposedly with the "revised" transmission design, is on it's second unit, and this one is shifting harshly again. These are a $4,500 repair at everytime they go.The car is at 90K. How about the 3rd gear popping issues for the 6MT Honda units? No cars are immune and honestly you have nothing to back up your claim that "japanese cars rule" but some worn over perceptions.

If you want to some some European cars with high mileage, you should venture out from wherever you live and travel the globe. The notion that European cars are these terrible cars that can't make it past 100K is an American perception furthered by those who are inherently partial to Japanese made cars. That's no suprise.

http://discussions.consumerreports.o...=cr-2kmileclub

Last edited by FKL; 05-14-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 07:54 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I think the thread should be titled... "This is Pretty Damn Awesome". I mean there are VERY few cars on Earth that can withstand this type of mileage and still run with original drivetrain in tact.
Old 05-15-09, 08:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
I think the thread should be titled... "This is Pretty Damn Awesome". I mean there are VERY few cars on Earth that can withstand this type of mileage and still run with original drivetrain in tact.
I would honestly guess that over 75% of the cars sitting at all dealerships today could make it to that mileage with their original drivetrain if it were all condensed into 3 years of mostly non stop highway miles.

I would also bet if that car is an automatic its transmission would be long gone at this point if those miles were all city.
Old 05-15-09, 09:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

City driving would have definitely killed it. I bought my GS400 while the transmission was still shifting smooth as butter. After a few years of stop and go city driving, the shifts are kind of jerky.

200K is nothing to break nowadays, especially with highway driving. 300k today was probably equivalent to 100k back in the early 90s

Quick Reply: This is a tad rediculous...