Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS convertible, saw one in person (no pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 11:51 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very intresting. My wife is definately looking into this car. lol chicks car
Old 05-11-09, 12:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, the ISc is somewhat disappointing styling-wise compared the 3c, although the ISc is not *as bad* as the HS.

As for the G37c, I'm sorry but it does NOT look way better than the ISc, or put it to shame. I've now seen both the G37c and ISc in person, and the G37c looks at best, a bit better than the ISc. As SICK mentioned, the G37c in person looks like a giant SC430.

The 3 Series convertible still remains the best in terms of hard-top coupe styling in this segment.
Old 05-11-09, 01:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also wonder big time why lexus doesn't come out with a true coupe, but instead a coupe convertible. i think it's pretty obvious that they will sell more pure coupe than convertibles
Old 05-11-09, 02:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i also wonder big time why lexus doesn't come out with a true coupe, but instead a coupe convertible. i think it's pretty obvious that they will sell more pure coupe than convertibles
You really have to wonder what was Lexus thinking? What was the reasoning behind not doing an IS coupe for this generation?

All I have to say is that the next-gen IS needs to be a knockout, just like the next-gen GS. In fact Lexus needs to really step it up with all of their future models. If the next-gen IS is not more aggressive in style, isn't roomier in the rear, doesn't have more competitive engines choices for base models, and doesn't have a coupe version, it will be considered a failure among many Lexus fans.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 05-11-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You really have to wonder what was Lexus thinking? What was the reasoning behind not doing an IS coupe for this generation?

All I have to say is that the next-gen IS needs to be a knockout, just like the next-gen GS. In fact Lexus needs to really step it up with all of their future models. If the next-gen IS is not more aggressive in style, isn't roomier in the rear, doesn't more competitive engines choices for base models, and doesn't have a coupe version, it will be considered a failure among many Lexus fans.
you got that right. on a broader picture, i think the IS is pretty good contender already. it has very good performance, but space wise it's a big let down for most people (including me). and the lack of coupe definitely put it in a big disadvantage against bmw

on the other hand, the 3gs is loser in a lot of categories. power is probably one stronger point, but space, features, and a lot of other aspects, the 3gs just loses so much ground to the others. compared to what lexus did with the 2gs, it's a huge swing
Old 05-11-09, 02:23 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think one of the reasons for not having a coupe is that the 4-door IS sedan is already coupe-like, so far as the interior room, and in terms of styling, in this generation really has worn the lines better than a coupe version may have (part of the reason may be that the unique look is mainly in the greenhouse area and not the doors).

The rumors for the IS-C suggested that it was delayed because they had trouble justifying the price point. I'm guessing that the business case for non-convertible coupes has been not that lucrative, which is why they dropped a coupe-only and went for a convertible when going from SC 300/400 => SC 430. For some reason they like convertibles better -- perhaps they can justifiably charge more and also differentiate more readily from other models.

If the 3IS is larger and more roomy, plus is styled from the beginning to allow for a comparable coupe variant, where the coupe (possibly) has around the rear seat room of the 2IS, that might be successful. For now, a IS-C convertible may take the spot previously occupied by the SC 430, and a new 3SC may move in a different (larger? sleeker? 2-seater? LFA derived?) direction. The IS-C has more practical elements going for it -- more 4-seat room than the SC 430, trunk space, lower price point but still at a premium, etc.
Old 05-11-09, 02:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

you got that right. on a broader picture, i think the IS is pretty good contender already. it has very good performance, but space wise it's a big let down for most people (including me). and the lack of coupe definitely put it in a big disadvantage against bmw

on the other hand, the 3gs is loser in a lot of categories. power is probably one stronger point, but space, features, and a lot of other aspects, the 3gs just loses so much ground to the others. compared to what lexus did with the 2gs, it's a huge swing
I agree. The 2IS is more competitive in the market than the 3GS, but both still lack in certain areas. Both the 2IS and 3GS suffer from poor cabin space, lack of competitive or class-leading engine offerings on certain models, lack of exciting interior color choices. The 2IS specifically has no coupe version while many of the competitors do.

The 3GS is even more disappointing when you consider Lexus took such a long time to release the 3GS after the 2GS.
Old 05-11-09, 02:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

I think it's pretty clear to me that the IS-C is an afterthought.

How else do you explain why Lexus only introduce the IS-C nearly 4 years after the sedan version was launched (the standard should be one year after if you look at the 3-series and the G37, & that makes the most sense). And that's one reason why the IS-C isn't that impressive.

I think they clearly did not plan to build anything other than the sedan version initially, until they saw that the IS sedan version is pretty well received ...
Old 05-11-09, 06:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
I think one of the reasons for not having a coupe is that the 4-door IS sedan is already coupe-like, so far as the interior room, and in terms of styling, in this generation really has worn the lines better than a coupe version may have (part of the reason may be that the unique look is mainly in the greenhouse area and not the doors).
Good point, as an owner of an IS350, I tend to use the car as a 2+2. But getting into the back seat with proper doors is a lot easier than a coupe.
Old 05-11-09, 09:24 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
definately a chick car. even the regular IS sedan is just a tad on the chick side IMO.
Whats wrong with hots chicks driving hot cars? I haven't seen one ugly chick driving an IS yet Id hit the IS over the awkward 3 any day.
Old 05-11-09, 09:43 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just like the IS-F, the IS-C is an afterthought, hence the odd lines and weird proportions.

The 3 series and G37 convertibles are no real beauties either, but relative to the IS-C they're more acceptable.
Old 05-11-09, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by encore888

The rumors for the IS-C suggested that it was delayed because they had trouble justifying the price point. I'm guessing that the business case for non-convertible coupes has been not that lucrative, which is why they dropped a coupe-only and went for a convertible when going from SC 300/400 => SC 430. For some reason they like convertibles better -- perhaps they can justifiably charge more and also differentiate more readily from other models.

If the 3IS is larger and more roomy, plus is styled from the beginning to allow for a comparable coupe variant, where the coupe (possibly) has around the rear seat room of the 2IS, that might be successful. For now, a IS-C convertible may take the spot previously occupied by the SC 430, and a new 3SC may move in a different (larger? sleeker? 2-seater? LFA derived?) direction. The IS-C has more practical elements going for it -- more 4-seat room than the SC 430, trunk space, lower price point but still at a premium, etc.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think it's pretty clear to me that the IS-C is an afterthought.

How else do you explain why Lexus only introduce the IS-C nearly 4 years after the sedan version was launched (the standard should be one year after if you look at the 3-series and the G37, & that makes the most sense). And that's one reason why the IS-C isn't that impressive.

I think they clearly did not plan to build anything other than the sedan version initially, until they saw that the IS sedan version is pretty well received ...
yup i agree so much with you guys. with all the history i really thought lexus would give more thoughts and planning on the lineup, but now that it's brought up, the isc indeed looks very much like an afterthought
Old 05-12-09, 06:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
To everyone else who gets annoyed by the chick car comment: who cares, if its a chicks car means its not bustedly ugly then i can live with that. The IS is a proper drivers car, rear wheel drive, decent power, looks to kill. ill take it.
Agreed...and these days, you can't escape the 'chick car' comments, anyway. Any entry level luxury branded vehicle (though not limited to), has a good share of female drivers, period.
Old 05-12-09, 08:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

yup i agree so much with you guys. with all the history i really thought lexus would give more thoughts and planning on the lineup, but now that it's brought up, the isc indeed looks very much like an afterthought
And I wonder what's their planned shelf life for this IS-C.

Based on the expected 6-year cycle of a Lexus sedan model (except the ES), a new redesigned IS sedan should come out for the 2012 model year late in 2011.
I can't imagine they will let this IS-C to last a few years beyond that with the old body style and engine/technology, etc.

If Lexus are going to do things right, a redesigned IS coupe and an IS convertible should come out a year after the new sedan is launched late in 2011. Maybe that's the reason why they didn't even bother to use the 4-stage roof mechanism of the LF-C concept on this IS-C, since it's going to have a shorter than normal production run ??
Old 05-12-09, 09:26 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So to sum everything up, the IS-C is just all sorts of FAIL. I guess we can close this thread now... haha

Quick Reply: Lexus IS convertible, saw one in person (no pics)