Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took my brother 7series for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 10:58 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my brother 7series for a ride

So my brother got a used 745 about a week ago. Not sure what year. Got a chance yesterday to check it out and take it for a little drive.

Impression of Interior - Nice, lot of gagets, quality but felt like the materials used were a little cheap for what I was expecting. Roomy, but cramped for MY large frame compared to the LS. It has push button start, but you have to stick the FOB into the dash which I thought was kind of funny. The engine roared to life instantly as well, no cranking of the starter, just instanly on. Nav screen looks a lot more sophisticated than the LS with much more up to date graphics. Shifter to change gears was interesting. Kinda like a windshield wiper arm that you use to select drive or reverse, with push button park. Took me a minute to figure it out but pretty cool feature with the instant park. Has a nice electric parking brake button. Don't use the parking brake ever myself, but it was kinda cool. Didn't really play with the iDrive but I couldn't even figure out how to turn the radio volume up with out using the steering controls...lol

Impression of handling/power - I really only drove it in a residential area so I didn't get to romp on it, but it did feel strong. Much quicker throttle response but not rough. Took one turn a little quick and it felt planted. Still not top notch, but less of a boaty feel than my LS (with reg suspension).

Overall Impression - I like it. I don't think I would trade my LS for it due to the comfort factor for my large frame. Like I mentioned I feel as thought the LS uses better materials on the interior. His car also was not equiped with any type of smartaccess button. I had to hit unlock on the fob. Not sure if that is an option or not on the 7series cars, but it should be.
Old 05-10-09, 06:57 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Zoommmm

Originally Posted by bigcory
... Impression of handling/power - I really only drove it in a residential area so I didn't get to romp on it, but it did feel strong. Much quicker throttle response but not rough. Took one turn a little quick and it felt planted. Still not top notch, but less of a boaty feel than my LS (with reg suspension).

Overall Impression - I like it. I don't think I would trade my LS for it due to the comfort factor for my large frame. Like I mentioned I feel as thought the LS uses better materials on the interior. His car also was not equiped with any type of smartaccess button. I had to hit unlock on the fob. Not sure if that is an option or not on the 7series cars, but it should be.
You summed it up perfectly. BMW for power, handling and ZOOM !!! Not for creature comforts and finer details. If anything, the interior is probably counter-intuitive to use.
Old 05-10-09, 07:49 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant say i disagree with you on any of it. Thing is i kinda still like the 7 series. But thats just me.
Old 05-10-09, 08:37 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I like everything about 745Li and 745i. I like 750Li and 750i even better. Maybe I am biased.
Only if money was no object...760Li...

I still love my LS430 though.
Old 05-10-09, 09:25 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Very nice car indeed.

Those interior on those pics looks a bit different though. Is that the new body 7?
Old 05-10-09, 09:43 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
Very nice car indeed.

Those interior on those pics looks a bit different though. Is that the new body 7?
I think the interior in the last photo may not be available in US. Euro versions come with lot more possibilities than US versions.
Old 05-11-09, 12:12 AM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ask the users?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229838
Old 05-11-09, 06:53 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not a keeper

Originally Posted by PHCMA
I guess the BMW are good to have when under warranty and maintenance is free. So much for the "next guy" that buys it.

Some times I really do wonder if the "Toyota/Honda" philosophy is right for the auto industry. You make vehicles that last for over 15 years with no problems, so as an owner (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) why would you get rid of the vehicle? As if you don't get rid of vehicles, then you don't buy new ones for a longer period of time than a comparable German or domestic. So, isn't Toyota/Honda undercutting their own growth?

The BMWs are made to run hard, run fast, and burn out quick. But, their owners still love them "during the warranty" period that they own them, so they go on and get newer ones. Does that not seem like a better way to make vehicles from the automaker's standpoint? Make a vehicle that's JUST GOOD ENOUGH to keep them happy so they come back for more.

I don't know... in almost 25 years of driving, I've only owned four different Japanese vehicles, while I'm sure if they were domestics I would easily own 50% more. Just my random thoughts..
Old 05-11-09, 08:47 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The 7 series is undoubtedly a capable and highly qualified luxury car. However, i am unable to really fall "in love" with the interior design language and theme. Too many sharp curves and edges. I prefer the Lexus hour glass design in the center stack.

moving to car chat forum...
Old 05-11-09, 09:54 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glancing through that thread paints a very different picture than what we see on a Lexus forum. For many of us, keeping a car well over 100,000 miles is no big deal. With regular maintenance these cars run for 250,000+ miles and can be relatively trouble free.

There, the owners talk about how they would never own a Bimmer that wasn't under warranty- it just seems like part of the natural ownership process. Your warranty runs out, sell it and get a new one that is under warranty.

Different strokes for different folks
Old 05-11-09, 10:54 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

The depreciation on the 7 series is insane....
Old 05-11-09, 11:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did your brother ever drive your LS op? What were his thoughts? I need a brother with an IS350 or RX350 so that I can do a comparo or two.
Old 05-20-09, 05:51 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Yes actually, my brother had a 2year lease on an 2001 modern lux when they first came out. He was in love with it, but was spending about 1000-1200 a month on the lease.

He got the seven as a bonus from his boss. His car broke down and his boss had the seven for driving when he comes down from Canada to visit.
Old 05-20-09, 05:59 PM
LexFather

Not unusual at all. The prices of initial 7 series cars are rock-bottom. They are a big favorite around Atlanta. I found this guys sig funny. he spelled his own car wrong (this is not even a rare thing)

I sold my '02 745i and my '07 750li, and have not looked back sence. I sold the 745 w/ 50K miles on the clock, and the 750 w/ about 9K. The warranty was nice on both the cars, but I couldn't emagine owning either after the warranty expired.

The reliability of the 7 series turned me off from BMW, so I went back to Mercedes.

Old 05-20-09, 06:59 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

To the OP: good comparo

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430

Hold up ... there's an iDrive controler in the BACK seat too?

I did not know ...

Quick Reply: Took my brother 7series for a ride