Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to ship wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 12:32 PM
FBTO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to ship wheels and tires?

I have someone interested in buying my wheels and tires. And they are all mounted and ready to go. How do I package them so they won't get damaged? Do I need to buy some special box? What are the dimensions? What should the weight be? I am sending G-spyders 18x8 times 4 with Michelin Alpin winter tires.
Old 05-12-09, 12:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

circular cardboard pieces securely tied to the front and back face. then put in garbage bag or plastic, and into larger box
Old 05-12-09, 07:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have 3 sets of wheels in my closet up stairs and I just sit on them because I am afraid of even trying to sell them and ship them. seems like a huge pain in the ***. I am actually thinking of giving the 19" wheels I have to a tech at work. He just got an 02 Acura TL type S and the 19" Axis Hagen wheels will look dope.
Old 05-13-09, 12:13 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

You can bring it to an UPS store and they could package and ship it for you. But pricing is a killer. I believe it's like $50/wheels to package and shipped them.
Old 05-13-09, 12:29 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I know that FedEx ships wheels and tires as I get my tire deliveries from them when I order from Tire Rack. I think the first idea was the best. Cardboard cutout followed by a plastic bag followed by a big box. Make sure to let the air out as it's excess weight. Just be forewarned... It's not going to be cheap. Best bet would be to go to the processing center to ship it. The usually stock more supplies for such requests over their retail stores.
Old 05-13-09, 02:25 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way is to dismount the tires and ship them separate from the rims. Tires need no packaging, just a label. You can visqueen them if you want.
Each rim should have the face covered with a bonnet, bagged, then double boxed. First find a box that fits each rim closely, then put 2 boxed rims in a single box. This method gives you more protection, and is also cheaper since you now have only 2 packages for 4 rims.
You may find everything you need at your local rim dealer, or dig through his dumpster after hours!
Old 05-13-09, 02:41 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Use the circular cardboard pieces to protect the centers as suggested in a previous post. Also, use cling wrap around the wheels and you should be fine. I just had some delivered to me that way with no problems. Fedex was @ $55 each wheel/tire fully inflated (19x9 & 19x12.5)

Good luck...
Old 05-13-09, 03:23 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Very carefully ?

Try and repack them the way they were when you got them I guess ...
Old 05-13-09, 04:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
I know that FedEx ships wheels and tires as I get my tire deliveries from them when I order from Tire Rack. I think the first idea was the best. Cardboard cutout followed by a plastic bag followed by a big box. Make sure to let the air out as it's excess weight. Just be forewarned... It's not going to be cheap. Best bet would be to go to the processing center to ship it. The usually stock more supplies for such requests over their retail stores.
air is nearly weightless. and would actually be good for protecting package contents.

Originally Posted by PHXSC
The best way is to dismount the tires and ship them separate from the rims. Tires need no packaging, just a label. !
i would keep the tires on. they can protect the barrel of the wheels. plus you have fewer boxes, so it's cheaper. total weight is the same whether you separate the tires or not

Last edited by dunnojack; 05-13-09 at 04:22 PM.