Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mel Gibson...loves his RWD LS, and his RWD ?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 07:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The real rich and famous do not need nice cars to show off their wealth, because everybody already know who they are & that they can afford anything they want. If anything, they may actually want to be in something that does not attract attention. If they have some nice cars, it's because they like them, & not for show off.

I have said several times in the past that nice luxury cars do not really enhance the status of their owners nearly as much as most believe, because if your car attracts attention and admiration, it's the CAR they are admiring, not the people inside it.
Actually, if your car is too nice, the owner may get negative attention

I love cars, & I pay a lot of attention to nice cars on the road, but it's the cars that I am admiring, I don't care who is inside the car & won't pay attention to them unless it's someone I already know, like someone famous, or friends/associates, in which case, I probably know a lot about their social/economic status already(what they do, the house they live in, etc.), so they don't need to impress me with the car.

For people driving nice cars I do not know/recognize, they will be forgotten within a minute after I looked at their cars. Who cares who they are unless it's someone you already know.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-13-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 11:38 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Cruise...

... with his 1968 Malibu 300 deluxe

Mel Gibson...loves his RWD LS, and his RWD ?????-tc.jpg

"Geez, I crack myself up...."

Last edited by rdgdawg; 05-13-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-13-09, 11:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't see anythign wrong with it. if i ahd that kind of money, i'd have pretty much the same stuff i have now... of course they would all be modded with every piece of top dollar stuff! i really have no need for ferrari's, bentlye's, and all that crap. with enough money, i can build any car i want to out perform one of those overpriced boxes, and i can be proud of what i MADE and not of what i just walked in and BOUGHT. any fool with money can buy a ferrari, but not many can build a economy car to outperform one.
"real machines are built, not bought".
Old 05-13-09, 07:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am a car enthusiast so the car will NEVER be " just transportation".

In LA to drive a car like that as a celebrity its as if you are driving around with a huge sign on the car .... " I am a moron who has no taste, style, or class. I am just a big cheap POS". It may be different for us, but if you drive a car like that and you have 50 million in the bank you are a loser who has no clue or taste. You dont need to cruise a 500K Ferrari. I think a simple 911, S class, 7 series, or even an LS will suffice without sending this dude into financial ruin.

A used Cressida???? I know the point you guys are trying to make, but you have to see the point I am trying to make. The guy is driving a 15 year old car.

I have lost ALL respect for Mel Gibson
Old 05-13-09, 07:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Well maybe that's where you two differ? Maybe he's not a real car nut like yourself, and maybe he doesn't feel like fitting in with the stereotype that celebrities normally fit in. Maybe he does want a car that won't stand out so he can, as best as possible, fit in with everyday people.
Old 05-13-09, 07:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I totally respect your point, but have you ever been to LA???? Its not a place where people wan to fit in. Its a place to see and be seen.

To each his own, but I wouldnt drive that thing . especially if I was rolling with 50 million in the bank.
Old 05-13-09, 07:50 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I totally respect your point, but have you ever been to LA???? Its not a place where people wan to fit in. Its a place to see and be seen.

To each his own, but I wouldnt drive that thing . especially if I was rolling with 50 million in the bank.
Actually, I've been to LA quite a few times . I've got family living there.

Think about it from their perspective. They have people admiring them 24/7, they are constantly under the camera, and people are always asking for autographs. I think if I were in that position, even if the money were good, I would try to sneak around once in a while unseen, and just enjoy life instead of having tons of people jumping all over me for a freaken autograph.
Old 05-13-09, 07:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

thats what new Escalades with limo tint are for. Hell why not a new honda accord. That cressida could easily over heat in the valley and his celebrity *** would be on the side of the 405 freeway looking like a sweaty moron. LOL. I see your point but I cant rationalize not bumping it up a touch.
Old 05-13-09, 08:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

thats what new Escalades with limo tint are for. Hell why not a new honda accord. That cressida could easily over heat in the valley and his celebrity *** would be on the side of the 405 freeway looking like a sweaty moron. LOL. I see your point but I cant rationalize not bumping it up a touch.
I understand what you're saying, I mean if he at least wanted to blend in, he could easily afford a newer car, not necessarily an expensive one, just a newer one that wouldn't crap out as easily as that cressida. Maybe it's like what the other members have said, maybe that car has a history for him and he drives it around for those reasons
Old 05-13-09, 09:48 PM
LexFather

In LA to drive a car like that as a celebrity its as if you are driving around with a huge sign on the car .... " I am a moron who has no taste, style, or class. I am just a big cheap POS". It may be different for us, but if you drive a car like that and you have 50 million in the bank you are a loser who has no clue or taste. You dont need to cruise a 500K Ferrari. I think a simple 911, S class, 7 series, or even an LS will suffice without sending this dude into financial ruin.

A used Cressida???? I know the point you guys are trying to make, but you have to see the point I am trying to make. The guy is driving a 15 year old car.

This is odd b/c your old car was a G35, which had an interior WORSE than the Cressida Gibson is driving. Does that NOt make you an enthusiast? Of course not, it just means priorities are different.

The guy can buy any damn car he wants, he probably is not a car guy and a nice Cressida gives him RWD (he might desire) and a look that hopefully won't attract the damn paparazzi.

In Hollywood where everyone has an Escalade, 7 series, S class or Prius , the Cressida is the "anti" establishment car.

I love it!

Old 05-14-09, 12:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

respectfully.... you are out of your mind the cressidas interior is worse than a G35. The G35 is a top notch japanese performance sedan so lets not start in on the G35. LOL

I see your point with the paparazzi but you have to see what I am saying. 50 MILLION in the bank. 50.
Old 05-14-09, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice cars for celebrities -- cool

but i wouldn't lose one respect to any celebrities if they are driving an old used car. why should i just anyone, let alone celebrities, by what they drive? to be honest only losers would judge things that way

my company has more than a few 10 millionaires. some of them are still driving their pos civic from the 90s before the company went IPO. they all can give a rat *** about what people think of them.

and i respect all of them greatly

i'd rather see this than 10 lindsay in the sl65
Old 05-14-09, 10:58 AM
LexFather

respectfully.... you are out of your mind the cressidas interior is worse than a G35. The G35 is a top notch japanese performance sedan so lets not start in on the G35. LOL

I see your point with the paparazzi but you have to see what I am saying. 50 MILLION in the bank. 50.
The G35 interior was just as craptastic as a Cressida. Sorry.

You can't pick and chose your pos. A pos is a pos.

We can disagree on Mel, I think its actually kind of cool for him to be driving an old Cressida.

Lets look at Scott Storch, a suburban douchebag who suddenly became a hip hop mega producer even though his idea of "hood" is Beverly Hills. He got wealthy quick and was in magazines, etc bragging on his Bugatti's and all his cars etc. Well the guy is now broke, come to find out he wasn't paying child support and he had the money management of a 3 year old at toys r us.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-14-09 at 01:59 PM.

Old 05-14-09, 11:11 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice find!
Old 05-14-09, 11:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have WAY more respect for people who are wealthy and don't see driving an older and/or less expensive vehicle as 'beneath them' than I do the ones that would be embarrassed to be seen in a car that wasn't flashy.

So interestingly enough, quite to the contrary of I8ABMR who is criticizing Mel for driving this car, I actually give him big props.

My dad tried to teach me the pitfalls of focusing on material possessions when I was younger. He's pretty wealthy but has owned two cars in his life... a 1982 Honda Civic (had it for 18 years, only got rid of it when I blew up the engine) and a 2002 F150 (absolute base model... vinyl bench seat, manual trans, etc).
I've had probably 10 cars in 11 years of driving, quite a few very nice ones, and while I've enjoyed them, I think it's time to scale back. If I'm going to become truly wealthy as a person I need to stop acting wealthy in my spending habits.

Not to mention a bit of humility is good for anyone.

Quick Reply: Mel Gibson...loves his RWD LS, and his RWD ?????