Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: G35 vs C350
G35
54.17%
C350
45.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

G35 vs C350

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 09:55 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

As a current 2009 C350 owner, i have to put in some inpurts

My thoughts are they although you wont win any drag races with its 268 hp engine, or perhaps features wise its not that great, or perhaps comfort wise, its not the best, the car has serious presence. Like all Mercedes, the doors close with a real clunk to it that non of my 3 lexus cars can match. I have not had any problems with it (bought it in October 2008), not even a rattle. Car has an awesome navigation with a hard drive, and the HK audio surround sound is great.

The real reason why i bought it was that it looks great from the front, cant ignore tht 3 pointed star! (of course, im talking about the Sport model, not the ugly Luxury model. haha)
Old 05-15-09, 10:05 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It is obvious that you have not been in the back seat of these cars recently. He's talking about 2008 models, and the G35 is by far the largest of the three (IS, C class, and G). The G35 is closer in interior size to the GS than to the others. The new interiors are very nice. They rival the IS and are much nicer than the C.

There will always be people impressed by the C because it is a Mercedes, but it is a significantly inferior car to the 2008 G35.

Steve
How is it inferior? Because its bigger and more powerfull? If thats what you are looking for a big powerfull 4 door sedan go for the g8 gxp. If you want a great all rounder that does not seem repetative(see pictures) go for the merc

new maxima

g37

m45

ex35

Last edited by bad co; 05-15-09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 03:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stonefan52
European cars just aren't as reliable as Japanese cars.
A pretty weak statement given the fact that there are several Japanese brands that don't perform well in reliability studies and there are several European brands that do extremely well in this department (Skoda for instance).
Old 05-16-09, 04:13 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

As a former W204 C class owner (C200 CDI) I feel I must defend the car from some of the totally ignorant comments here.

What gives those of you the right to claim the build quality of the new C class isn't good? Have you ever owned one? Sitting inside the car for a few minutes inside a dealership doesn't give you insight into the car - ownership does. The cabin was well put together and also felt premium and expensive like it should. Build quality is not something you can decide in a matter of minutes. It takes time to judge and who is better to judge the build quality of a certain product than someone who makes use of it on a daily basis - an owner.

I liked my C class very much. Reliable, comfortable, economical and solid at high autobahn speeds. For a small vehicle the C class was very roomy inside and also had a large useful trunk as well as a high payload capacity, which many of its rivals lack. My then-girlfriend and I took long distance trips across Europe in the car and we never had any reason to complain. The C200 CDI engine wasn't much of a sprinter but it was completely adequate on power and very economical. The comfort of the C class was incredible despite the sport trim. On those long trips we didn't stop to stretch our legs that often because there was no need. The seats were perfectly formed, supportive and soft: very comfortable to say the least.

In Europe the C class has garnered awards left and right and I believe it was voted the most reliable car in its class in the UK beating out even the Lexus IS. Current Mercedes quality and reliability is top notch. I now drive an E230 and am perfectly satisfied with everything about the car. Again, Mercedes balances their cars very nicely to a mixture of sport, comfort, luxury and other ideals. They do a much better job here than other competitors in my personal opinion.

The biggest drawback of the C class are probably the costs. They're expensive because that's usually the case with European cars. But that doesn't mean the car is unreliable. In the luxury market every car will usually have high maintenance costs. If you think reliability is only one aspect "that costs money", think again. What about class insurance? Or fuel costs?

Furthermore, the OP is comparing two completely opposite cars to one another. The G is biased towards sport while the C class is biased towards balance, a mixture of sport, luxury and comfort. A better comparison to the G would be a BMW 3 series for example, not the C class. Just for the record, I prefer the C class over the G because of the balance it offers. I had a high degree of sport, luxury and comfort in this car and all these characteristics were so perfectly balanced that I had no reason to complain. The G might be sportier but in terms of comfort it is far behind (as is the 3er). My sister has a Lexus IS250, which is a great car but the cabin is so small and cramped. That's definitely the major weakness of the IS in my opinion and I hope Lexus fixes this problem (not only for the IS) in the next generation model.

If you want performance and luxury, get the G35. If you want a balance between performance, comfort and luxury then the C350 is your car. It's that simple. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a new C class again as my experience with the car has been more than wonderful (it was my first Mercedes', too).
Old 05-16-09, 08:08 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I have experience with the C Class, an 09 4matic to be specific. Overall the build quality is really nice, interior is so/so, only problem so far was the check engine light went on randomly within the first 300 miles, nothing serious but pretty annoying for a brand new car with less than 500 miles.. I like the C class steering wheel much better than the IS though, much bigger and beefier.
In terms of space, the C does have more interior room but not so much where it makes much of a difference really. More headroom for sure and a bit more space in the backseat, but the legroom is negligible IMO, also I believe the IS has a bigger trunk than the C.
Also, in comparison with the IS350 and the 3 series I would say the C300 is the least sportiest.
Regarding looks, the G sedan is pretty ugly, even uglier than the 3 sedan. C Class is much better looking.
Old 05-16-09, 10:42 AM
YEH
Pole Position

Don't know why people are even recommending the ES, which has completely diff. driving dynamics (the others range from sporty to a bit of sport).

As already stated, the G is is a bit larger than the IS, 3 Series and C Class w/ back-seat passengers having more leg room.

In terms of design, I like the C Class (the best design out of the 3 MB sedans), much better than the previous gen.

As for the G, the G coupe has much better sheetmetal at the front and while the late model G35's had an improved interior, still not that great (not that past C or 3 Series interiors were that great either).

Last edited by YEH; 05-16-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 12:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
A pretty weak statement given the fact that there are several Japanese brands that don't perform well in reliability studies and there are several European brands that do extremely well in this department (Skoda for instance).
I am referring to what is available here in America. Most Japanese companies perform much better than most German companies. That's backed up by decades of stats, Consumer Report annuals, and the many longterm test artcles in auto publications. While they are improving, they are still more prone to problems. Just open up a Consumer Reports book and witness the lower marks for Mercedes and BMW (Audi has generally improved), and then compare to the high marks of Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. It's all right there.
Old 05-16-09, 12:59 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^Well it's not as if you don't pay in ways for the lower cost of ownership factor. If Japanese cars, on average, are more reliable, they are also less innovative, less fun to drive, and less substantially "built".
Old 05-16-09, 01:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

As a former W204 C class owner (C200 CDI) I feel I must defend the car from some of the totally ignorant comments here.

What gives those of you the right to claim the build quality of the new C class isn't good? Have you ever owned one? Sitting inside the car for a few minutes inside a dealership doesn't give you insight into the car - ownership does. The cabin was well put together and also felt premium and expensive like it should. Build quality is not something you can decide in a matter of minutes. It takes time to judge and who is better to judge the build quality of a certain product than someone who makes use of it on a daily basis - an owner.

I liked my C class very much. Reliable, comfortable, economical and solid at high autobahn speeds. For a small vehicle the C class was very roomy inside and also had a large useful trunk as well as a high payload capacity, which many of its rivals lack. My then-girlfriend and I took long distance trips across Europe in the car and we never had any reason to complain. The C200 CDI engine wasn't much of a sprinter but it was completely adequate on power and very economical. The comfort of the C class was incredible despite the sport trim. On those long trips we didn't stop to stretch our legs that often because there was no need. The seats were perfectly formed, supportive and soft: very comfortable to say the least.

In Europe the C class has garnered awards left and right and I believe it was voted the most reliable car in its class in the UK beating out even the Lexus IS. Current Mercedes quality and reliability is top notch. I now drive an E230 and am perfectly satisfied with everything about the car. Again, Mercedes balances their cars very nicely to a mixture of sport, comfort, luxury and other ideals. They do a much better job here than other competitors in my personal opinion.

The biggest drawback of the C class are probably the costs. They're expensive because that's usually the case with European cars. But that doesn't mean the car is unreliable. In the luxury market every car will usually have high maintenance costs. If you think reliability is only one aspect "that costs money", think again. What about class insurance? Or fuel costs?

Furthermore, the OP is comparing two completely opposite cars to one another. The G is biased towards sport while the C class is biased towards balance, a mixture of sport, luxury and comfort. A better comparison to the G would be a BMW 3 series for example, not the C class. Just for the record, I prefer the C class over the G because of the balance it offers. I had a high degree of sport, luxury and comfort in this car and all these characteristics were so perfectly balanced that I had no reason to complain. The G might be sportier but in terms of comfort it is far behind (as is the 3er). My sister has a Lexus IS250, which is a great car but the cabin is so small and cramped. That's definitely the major weakness of the IS in my opinion and I hope Lexus fixes this problem (not only for the IS) in the next generation model.

If you want performance and luxury, get the G35. If you want a balance between performance, comfort and luxury then the C350 is your car. It's that simple. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a new C class again as my experience with the car has been more than wonderful (it was my first Mercedes', too).
Glad you have had a good experience with Mercedes. My mom's ML was a piece. Even her C loaner had to go back for check engine lights.
While much of this topic is subjective, let me clarify my comments. The LOOK of the new C-Class interior is what is offending. Maybe the materials are made of good quality, but the overal look of the dash, console, and gauge cluster appears cheap, plasticky, tacked on, and hard-edged. This was my conclusion after an hour behind the wheel at a Mercedes event. Let me put it this way... there are nicer offerings out there. Consider the flowing, chiseled lines of the GS dash or the clean, modern lines of the A4 console.
Old 05-16-09, 01:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
^Well it's not as if you don't pay in ways for the lower cost of ownership factor. If Japanese cars, on average, are more reliable, they are also less innovative, less fun to drive, and less substantially "built".
I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-16-09, 01:12 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Glad you have had a good experience with Mercedes. My mom's ML was a piece. Even her C loaner had to go back for check engine lights.
While much of this topic is subjective, let me clarify my comments. The LOOK of the new C-Class interior is what is offending. Maybe the materials are made of good quality, but the overal look of the dash, console, and gauge cluster appears cheap, plasticky, tacked on, and hard-edged. This was my conclusion after an hour behind the wheel at a Mercedes event. Let me put it this way... there are nicer offerings out there. Consider the flowing, chiseled lines of the GS dash or the clean, modern lines of the A4 console.
I don't know....the only piece I've personally found out of place and "cheap" is the plastic covering the flip out COMMAND display. I think people are getting confused between an unattractive design and the actual materials used inside - it's definitely not "cheap", but I could see how some would be left cold by the austere nature of the design inside - keep in mind the GLK and new E-Class also follow these same conventions.
Old 05-16-09, 09:17 PM
Tangerine
Driver

I miss the high speed stability I got from my C that doesn't exist on my G or the IS.

I agree with all points except for the C being a good balance. Maybe my opinion on what makes a car balance differs but the C is more towards luxury. The 3 series would be a good example of balance for me atlease.

Originally Posted by FKL
If you want you can pull the "German innovates, Japanese replicates" card. I like both German and Japanese cars, have experience with both. Some people's opinions are just a bit bias.
Old 05-17-09, 02:39 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=bad co;4526574]How is it inferior? Because its bigger and more powerfull? If thats what you are looking for a big powerfull 4 door sedan go for the g8 gxp. If you want a great all rounder that does not seem repetative(see pictures) go for the merc

How is the C350 inferior to the G35/37? Let me count the ways:
1) For $40,000 in the C350 you get plastic seats. The G35 is leather.
2)Not only is the C350 slower, it gets poorer fuel mileage.
3)The G35 not only handles better than the C350, it has a better ride and is quieter at highway speeds.
4)The G35 has room for 2 adults in the back seat, where the C350 seats are virtually useless except for small children.
5)On top of everything else, with similar equipment the G37 is about $5000 cheaper than the C350.
6)Consumer Reports shows reliability for the previous C class "improved" to average while the G35 continued at better than average.

Other than the "image" of it being a Mercedes, I find it hard to consider the C350 to be a reasonable competitor to the G37. My ES350 I consider to be superior to the G37 for room, quiet ride, and comfort. It is not a match in the "sport" area however.

Steve
Old 05-17-09, 11:20 PM
lxslvr2500
Rookie

all i can say is THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!! Loving the arguments on both sides guys. Lemme tell u bout my personal experience. Yesterday I drove my friend's 2008 G35 SPORT and things i noticed:

1) LOTS more room than the IS...i actually felt comfortable in a sedan fer once, usable trunk
2) POWER- holy ***** it is FAST
3) Sportiness-handles great...just like my cuzins 02 bmer 325i sport...
4) Pretty gud lookin overall, i would have to put it jus behind IS in looks
5) Exhaust sound is AMAZING
6) reliable = gud daily driver

Then I went to Walter's Mercedes dealer to test drive a CPO 2008 C350

1) SOMEWHAT more room than the IS, backseats are pretty gud, trunk is ok, nowhere near as big as the G tho overall
2) Power- its honestly pretty quick, but nothing much that gets me excited when compared to my IS, not that much of a difference
3) Sportiness-handles not much more different than my IS. gud for crusin around in the city, but nothing to make me wanna hit the empty roads fer some fun. Steering has a gud feel but is too light, G's is MUCH better
4) Front looks BOMB, rear is ugly, and side profile is nice. Overall slightly better lookin than the G but not by much, nothing thatll turn heads thats fersure
5) Engine sounds ok, not muffled like the IS's...kinda like what the IS would sound like with a less restrictive exhaust
6) Consumer Reports states reliability = ok...not so gud for daily driver

KEEP THE COMMENTS COMIN GUYS
Old 05-17-09, 11:31 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=oldcajun;4529623]
Originally Posted by bad co
How is it inferior? Because its bigger and more powerfull? If thats what you are looking for a big powerfull 4 door sedan go for the g8 gxp. If you want a great all rounder that does not seem repetative(see pictures) go for the merc

How is the C350 inferior to the G35/37? Let me count the ways:
1) For $40,000 in the C350 you get plastic seats. The G35 is leather.
2)Not only is the C350 slower, it gets poorer fuel mileage.
3)The G35 not only handles better than the C350, it has a better ride and is quieter at highway speeds.
4)The G35 has room for 2 adults in the back seat, where the C350 seats are virtually useless except for small children.
5)On top of everything else, with similar equipment the G37 is about $5000 cheaper than the C350.
6)Consumer Reports shows reliability for the previous C class "improved" to average while the G35 continued at better than average.

Other than the "image" of it being a Mercedes, I find it hard to consider the C350 to be a reasonable competitor to the G37. My ES350 I consider to be superior to the G37 for room, quiet ride, and comfort. It is not a match in the "sport" area however.

Steve
All that the G has is a real nice spec sheet, I don drive a spec sheet I drive a car and in the long run the C will still look fresh just like every other mercedes and it will hold its price better too. Maybe its just me but I find that Infiniti's age fast.

Quick Reply: G35 vs C350