Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: G35 vs C350
G35
54.17%
C350
45.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

G35 vs C350

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 07:13 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bad co;4530854]
Originally Posted by oldcajun

All that the G has is a real nice spec sheet, I don drive a spec sheet I drive a car and in the long run the C will still look fresh just like every other mercedes and it will hold its price better too. Maybe its just me but I find that Infiniti's age fast.
Have you driven a recent model G35/G37?
I had the same doubts until I drove one and ended up buying one even though I was dead set on buying a 335i.
Old 05-18-09, 08:58 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lxslvr2500
I once sat in the old G35 sedan and honestly, the rear seat is MUCH better than the IS's...atleast I had decent room to stretch out a bit and not feel like wanting to chop my knees off....
Not so much the space, but I couldn't stand the 'reclined' rear seating of the G35 Sedan: I find myself constantly trying to adjust to an upright posture, as its easily one of the most uncomfortable rear seating positions I've been in. Sure, the IS lacks comparable leg space (thankfully, I've had no complaints), but I'd prefer the seating position of the IS, where I can at least adjust the front seats forward to remedy rearward leg space.

More on-topic: I'd choose the G35 over the C350. Although a gorgeous car, I can't see much that justifies the price vs the G35.

So far as turning heads, both cars are common enough that in stock form, neither will really excite the general public.
Old 05-18-09, 09:32 AM
LexFather

No everything is "Xs and Os". The G35 is better on paper but for many the C350 is the better buy.
The G35 is IMO (again) the best value in class by far and one of the best values period.

Old 05-18-09, 11:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If one is looking for value, the new Hyundai Genesis coupe is a better value than the Infinity G37. What the MB C-class has over the G37 cannot be seen on spec sheets. We are talking about small components, transmisson, chassis or alternator etc.
Old 05-18-09, 12:15 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^It's called attention to detail and design. Take the high strength steel cage used throughout the C350 - the 7-speed automatic, the solidness of the doors - it's a highly engineered vehicle. Not saying the g37 isn't, but there is a lot more to a car than simply just acceleration and handling figures. The c350 is a genuine tuetonic balance of comfort, sport and luxury. For some, that's all they need to be sold. Of course, I would look at the larger A4 and 3-Series BMW if I suddenly ran into $40,000, but that's just me. We all have our individual preferences.

Last edited by FKL; 05-18-09 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 12:34 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
What the MB C-class has over the G37 cannot be seen on spec sheets. We are talking about small components, transmisson, chassis or alternator etc.
The build quality of the chassis and tranny translate directly into performance numbers on a spec sheet-- the two are rather significant components of the vehicle, and any other apect that involves comfort or performance. I can't say I've ever been sold on a car because of the alternator, though.
Old 05-18-09, 02:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm gonna put my five cents into this thread, for all its worth.

Now, I cant really comment on the new C class or the G37, because I havent had much experience with them... actually no experience at all with the new C.

However, my brother owned a 2002 C320 that I drove on many occasions, and there was simply nothing to like about the car. The exterior was blah and boring, but somewhat classy, and generally well built. The reliability was pretty good as well, for the major part - my parents got it for him with 40k, and it was sold with around 80k on the clock. The only thing that got replaced was the alternator, everything else was maintenance - battery, brakes, tires, etc.

The interior looked and felt cheap, everything was ugly, and there were a bunch of interior problems - the shade broke, cigarette lighters were failing, some lights and switches had problems. Interior comfort was non existant. The rear seat was a joke, perhaps even worse than the IS. The front seats were ok, but the driving positing was horrible, the door armrest wasnt comfortable at all when the seat is moved all the way back. I'm 6'4 and I just couldnt make myself comfortable in that car, and my brother is only 5'-11, and still the biggest reason he got rid of that car is because he could never feel comfortable inside.

The only positive thing I will say about the interior is it was rattle free. Thats it.

Now to the suspension, it wasnt sporty of luxury, just somewhere in the middle. Overall I cant complain, nor brag about it.

Now to the engine and drivetrain. The old 3.2 had very decent power, took off the line fast and accelerated very well, with no lag at all. It would feel a bit sluggish on the highway speeds - after 60mph. I guess that had to do with the gearing. Also it returned decent fuel mileage. The transmission however was jerky, and while it was fast to react and shift, the jerkiness it produced during shifts defenately do not belong in a premium car. On a side note, that is also a problem with BMW 5 series.

As far as the previous gen G35, I think it was an excellent car, overall the best bang for the buck, but it did have very cheap, horrible, fugly interior. The plastics inside looked like they belong in a chrysler, orange cluster lighting was downright fugly, and generally the controls sucked. Also the exterior while nicely curved and finished with great HID projector headlights and LED tails, was poorly painted - the paint would fade and show swirlmarks right away. But it drove great, had very good suspension and drivetrain, and was surprisingly roomy inside.

All in all, if I had to chose between the previous gen C and G, I'd go with the G. If you added previous gen IS300 and 330 into the mix, I'd still go with the G. But if you added a previous gen TL-type S in there, I'd pick the TL.

Today, if you took these same competitors, its a much harder decision. Of course, the new TL is out of the question because its too backwards and ugly, but IS, C, G, and 3 are better than ever, and theres another legit competitor - thats the new A4. If I had to chose between them, I'd do it in the following order

#1 - A4 - Just because its purely stunning and gorgeous
#2 - 335 - Because it has major *****, but its interior quality is pretty bad
#3 - IS350 - A nice overall package, nice performance, good looks, and great interior
#4 - G37 - A great overall package, but lagging behind A4 in looks, 335 in performance and IS350 in interior. Makes up for it with interior spaciousness, without compromising sportiness.
#5 - C class - Also a decent package, but lags behind the pack in performance and still seems to have cheap and crumpled interior. Reason I put it last is because I dont seem to find a single clear advantage it has over the rest of the pack.
Old 05-18-09, 03:35 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

while it is clear that I am biased on the C350 seeing as how i own one, i will throw in a few points that make it uniquely a mercedes.

its the attention to detail, german precision

1) headlights that automatically increase in brightness at highway speeds to see further
2) When using the CD player: turning off the car will turn off the audio. When you start up the car again, the CD will be rewinded (sp?) about 5 seconds so you dont miss anything
3) When equipped with Pana Roof: When the rain sensing windshield wipers are activated, the roof automatically closes
4) brakes that automatically clinch together when rain sensing wipers are activated to dry them
5) an actual vent connected to HVAC syste in the glove box to keep things cool
6) brilliant 7 speed auto
7) nav directions that can be seen directly in the center of the guages
8) i think its the only car in this class that has cross drilled rotors
Old 05-18-09, 03:44 PM
LexFather

Och, the C230 IMO was a complete POS, but I loved the design. I reviewed it and it was horrid to drive and quality was horrid as well.

The new one is a great step back in teh right direction.

Guys we are compared teh G35 to the C350, not coupes and not the G37.

Old 05-18-09, 03:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Och, the C230 IMO was a complete POS, but I loved the design. I reviewed it and it was horrid to drive and quality was horrid as well.

The new one is a great step back in teh right direction.

Guys we are compared teh G35 to the C350, not coupes and not the G37.
I didn't say C230, it was the C320. As far as the design standpoint, between the previous gen IS, C, 3, A4, TL, G - my favorite is the IS because its wickid followed by the TL, especially TL-S. The design of the previous gen 3 series of course deserves a praise, but the A4, C, and G were just so-so in my book. Not offensive or tacky, but too boring and conservative.
Old 05-18-09, 04:55 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
need I say more....
the benz star needs to be bigger...
Old 05-18-09, 05:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The prior gen C-class was a POS and is not relevant, it's a completely different car from current C-class.
Old 05-18-09, 06:00 PM
lxslvr2500
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now guys, lets say I add an 08 335i sedan to the mix...how would it stack up as a daily driver in your guys's opinions?
Old 05-18-09, 06:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lxslvr2500
now guys, lets say I add an 08 335i sedan to the mix...how would it stack up as a daily driver in your guys's opinions?
IMHO, very well, while the warranty is still in effect. Although it's not very attractive or roomy.
Old 05-18-09, 08:48 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd only rock 3-series in a coupe ONLY... sedan no no...
maybe i'll do A4 before 3 series sedan... maybe.

Quick Reply: G35 vs C350