Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: G35 vs C350
G35
54.17%
C350
45.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

G35 vs C350

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 10:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tangerine
If you get a chance try to find some WHP figures, BMW under rates them as do Infiniti for the G37. Some cars have issues with initial startup acceleration traction reducing the 0-60 times (t.c, lsd, tires, gearing, weight, powerband, etc).

I found the IS to have the least amount of room compared to its competitors
WHP is generally not readily available data in a consistent comparable form for all 3 cars. But the major car mags have tested the 3 cars over the past few years (R&T does note variations in track conditions of course).

Yes the IS has a tighter backseat and slightly shorter wheelbase than the Benz, Infiniti, Audi and BMW comparable sedans.
Old 05-20-09, 10:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
i thought that's because torque is what makes the 0-60 time

335i: 300 lb-ft @ 1400-5000
G35: 268 lb-ft @ 4800
G37: 269 lb-ft @ 5200
IS350: 277 lb-ft @ 4800

from these ratings 0-60 times should be 335<IS350<G
Good recap of the torque stats. Maybe it's the combination of high hp and high torque that makes the difference. But it's not just high torque, because the super high torque BMW diesel is slower than all of above cars.
Old 05-20-09, 10:42 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
WHP is generally not readily available data in a consistent comparable form for all 3 cars. But the major car mags have tested the 3 cars over the past few years (R&T does note variations in track conditions of course).

Yes the IS has a tighter backseat and slightly shorter wheelbase than the Benz, Infiniti, Audi and BMW comparable sedans.
I meant find the numbers from sources outside publications. There are a few dyno runs located on different forums.
Old 05-21-09, 06:28 AM
LexFather

^^Well if we look at real world numbers again, the IS 350 and 335 win. The drag strip times show low 13s are possible with both cars. The G37 is in the mid 13s and cannot match that.

Old 05-21-09, 09:22 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just no love for Lexus these days. It all depends on what your looking for out of the car, for my needs I would choose the C350.
Old 05-21-09, 10:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If all you are buying is a spec sheet and performance numbers, then the Infinity G is a great car. If you want a car that is better quality all the way down to smallest bolt, then the C350 is a better bet.
Old 05-21-09, 10:54 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
If all you are buying is a spec sheet and performance numbers, then the Infinity G is a great car. If you want a car that is better quality all the way down to smallest bolt, then the C350 is a better bet.
Can you be any more subjective? Have you actually dis-assembled both cars and compared each part?

Next time I'm buying a new car, I will make sure I check the quality of the bolts and the alternator.
Old 05-21-09, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I meant find the numbers from sources outside publications. There are a few dyno runs located on different forums.
Then you missed the point.

You will have difficulty finding dyno runs on all 3 subject cars run on the same dyno.

Since every dyno is calibrated differently with varying degrees of accuracy, to gather dyno run results on the 3 cars from questionable and different sources will not be that helpful.
Old 05-21-09, 11:16 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Can you be any more subjective? Have you actually dis-assembled both cars and compared each part?

Next time I'm buying a new car, I will make sure I check the quality of the bolts and the alternator.
Wow, inspecting bolts and the alternator have not been part of my car buying process. lol
Old 05-21-09, 11:17 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

look again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQxz5yqAhcs
Old 05-21-09, 11:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You really dont need to dis-assemble anything. Just look under neath both car, look at the suspension components, the control arms or the muti-link, you will see the difference. Look at the door hinges or the door seal, listen to the noise when the door closes. The sheet metal is also better on MB, so is the transmission.
Thats the Germans for you, they over-design everything. Where as the Japan will design just enough to meet spec.

Last edited by The G Man; 05-21-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats the Germans for you, they over-design everything. Where as the Japan will design just enough to meet spec.
While I said I would get the C350 over the G35, its not b/c "It has more soulz"

So the Germans over-design and the Japanese just meet spec. Surely you jest? What spec is that btw? Is there some universal car spec where the Germans go past it and the Japanese just meet it??? Please point a link to this spec. I'm dying to see it.

What about the Italians? the Sweedes? The Indians? The British? The French? The Spanish? The Russians? DO they meet spec as sell and don't exceed this magical universal spec?

The G35 is no Lexus but it we both know it will be more reliable and has a better chance of not falling apart after warrenty than the C-class has.

Remember, I did choose the C 350 but its not based on magic nuts and bolts.

Old 05-21-09, 03:09 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bad co
1) Doors on the C sound like vaults (I'm sure IS-SV can attest to this)

2) The German precision about the headlamp washers = Gold

3) Rear vents in lamp - Wait? What? Platinum Gold

I love the new C and I think I'd take it over the A4. How's that one for you 3-Series>C-Class>A4 > IS >>> G >>>>>>>>>>>>> TL
Old 05-21-09, 03:15 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
1) Doors on the C sound like vaults (I'm sure IS-SV can attest to this)

2) The German precision about the headlamp washers = Gold

3) Rear vents in lamp - Wait? What? Platinum Gold

I love the new C and I think I'd take it over the A4. How's that one for you 3-Series>C-Class>A4 > IS >>> G >>>>>>>>>>>>> TL
Damn, I wish somebody told me about "the precision of the headlight washer" of the C, I would have bought it instead of the G.
Old 05-21-09, 03:18 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

madmax, I'm not calling the G a bad car, but it personally isn't for me. If I wanted sport, I'd go to BMW. If I wanted the whole package, the C350 or A4. I think there's real reason why a Mercedes is a marginally more costly car. Just my opinion. Some may prefer the mix of sport with Japanese perceived reliability, nothing wrong with that either. The G is perfect for that, but IMO there are some compromises made from a BMW. It's just not as finely cut, as we've discussed here on many occasions. The 3-Series strikes that "prefect" sporty/refined balance.

Last edited by FKL; 05-21-09 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: G35 vs C350