Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drive a GM or Chrysler vehicle? Get ready for higher insurance rates!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 08:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive a GM or Chrysler vehicle? Get ready for higher insurance rates!

As if they didn't have enough to worry about, here's another scare for any potential buyers and other owners...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...nce-rates.aspx

Detroit's woes to inflate car insurance rates

The fading value of the Chrysler and GM brands will force insurers into larger payouts for parts and repairs. Drivers of those models will ultimately foot the bill.

By Insure.com

Drivers of many American-made vehicles may soon find themselves handed bigger car insurance bills due to the automakers' troubles.

While Chrysler works its way through bankruptcy, General Motors tries to hammer out turnaround plans and Ford nurses its supplier network, wheels are in motion for events that will impact insurance.

Car insurance rate increases spring from a variety of factors, including higher costs for labor and repair parts. When the components used in an accident repair rise in price, insurance companies are forced to make larger claims payouts, and later adjust rates when data show that premiums are not sufficient for increased claims.

Automaker troubles are on track to affect those bottom lines. Here's how it could happen.
Resale values drop
A decline in resale value (also called residual value) for certain models, especially discontinued makes like Pontiac, will lead to more expensive insurance claims.

Consider this: After an accident, a car is considered a "total loss" when the cost of repairs exceeds a certain percentage of the car's value. That threshold is often 70%. At that point, the insurance company gives its policyholder a check for the car's market value and the car is hauled to the salvage yard. Total losses are among the most expensive claims for auto insurers.

With the uncertain future of GM and Chrysler, their used vehicles will likely drop in value as they become less desirable to used-car shoppers. This could hit used Pontiacs especially hard, as buyers perceive that parts and service will be hard to come by, or simply don't want to own a discontinued brand.

A decline in market value means the threshold for "total loss" will be reached more quickly and on more cars. Suddenly, auto insurers could find themselves swamped with total losses on Pontiacs and other American cars.

Once insurers see data showing a spike in total-loss payments, they'll increase rates for the drivers of affected vehicles.

Susanna Gotsch, industry analyst at CCC Information Services, which tracks auto claims data, points to the demise of Daewoo as a possible window into the future. Daewoo discontinued production in 2000.

"What we saw was that for Daewoo vehicles, the percentage of repair appraisals that were flagged total losses increased exponentially," Gotsch says.

CCC data show that from 2001 to 2008, the percentage of model year 2000 Daewoo four-door sedans deemed total losses increased from around 6% to roughly 42%. By comparison, the industry average of total losses went from about 4% to 20%. That means twice as many Daewoos were junked as the average.

"If, at the end of the day, GM is not a viable company, then it's like a Daewoo," says Gotsch.

Or consider the fates of Oldsmobile and Plymouth. CCC notes that one year after those brands were discontinued, a 2-year-old Oldsmobile or Plymouth had the resale value of a typical 5-year-old vehicle.

With those rock-bottom resale values, a spike in total losses won't be far behind.
Old 05-15-09, 08:57 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its so true if it happens will see. I glad i didnt buy there crap
Old 05-15-09, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The fading value of the Chrysler and GM brands will force insurers into larger payouts for parts and repairs. Drivers of those models will ultimately foot the bill.
I don't agree with this assessment. Many GM and Chrysler cars are rather poorly-built, which means they will be wearing out more quickly than a number of other makes. As they wear out, fewer new GM/Chrysler models (if any at all) will be built to replace them. With fewer of them left on the road, fewer will be stolen....a significant factor in setting insurance rates. And some of them will likely become popular with older-car collectors, which will stabilize their depreciation rates as well.
Old 05-16-09, 02:03 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wouldn't the depreciating rates skyrocket? the new 08 Town & Country we got is probably losing value day by day as we don't even drive it much! Very sad.
Old 05-16-09, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The more they depreciate, the less it will cost insurance companies to replace them if they are totalled or stolen.
Originally Posted by bob2200
I agree. This should save insurance companies money.
I forgot to add, though....that's considering, of course, that they can be replaced with new ones to start with. Thay may (?) not be possible if GM or Chrysler goes out of buisness. We already know for sure that Pontiac will be gone, and (possibly) Saab, Hummer, and Saturn as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-09 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-16-09, 07:02 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The more they depreciate, the less it will cost insurance companies to replace them if they are totalled or stolen.
Old 05-16-09, 07:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bob2200

See my revised post #5 above.
Old 05-16-09, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

the govt and uaw's collusion will assure the destruction of gm and chrysler one way or another.
Old 05-16-09, 02:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think insurance rates will change because of business viability. This is another method for the insurance companies to raise their rates.

However, I am concerned with people who finance their cars and then total it, with the value of the car far less than what they owe. Gap insurance will surely increase...
Old 05-16-09, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't think insurance rates will change because of business viability. This is another method for the insurance companies to raise their rates.

However, I am concerned with people who finance their cars and then total it, with the value of the car far less than what they owe. Gap insurance will surely increase...
With new-car prices (and sales) generally down, though, the difference in values between new and used (or totalled) cars might not be so wide as in the past, lessening the need for gap insurance.
Old 05-16-09, 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I think the article overstates the problem and it's just speculation at this point. Most (not all of course because there are a few exceptions) GM/Chrysler cars/trucks have pathetic resale values already.
Old 05-16-09, 06:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main issue is that parts for deceased brands such as Pontiac will become more expensive, harder to find, ect. Thus raising the possibility that more of these cars will just be "totaled" instead of going through the hassle of repair (even though they would normally be fixed).

Or, aftermarket parts supplier's will come through to provide everything necessary or even GM themselves assuming survival.
Old 05-16-09, 10:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I think the main issue is that parts for deceased brands such as Pontiac will become more expensive, harder to find, ect. Thus raising the possibility that more of these cars will just be "totaled" instead of going through the hassle of repair (even though they would normally be fixed).

Or, aftermarket parts supplier's will come through to provide everything necessary or even GM themselves assuming survival.
Yes, this is not a new concept or situation (discontinued models/divisions) and the "insurance cost impact" historically has been minimal.