Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New CAFE Standard: 35mpg by 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 07:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
He is not saying that.
I was just countering his phrase "4-cylinder POS" that can be found in every single one of his posts. It's really annoying. And yes, he is saying that.

It's not even a judgment on the engine itself but rather he is saying that any 4-cylinder car is a POS.

Sad.
Old 05-24-09, 07:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I was just countering his phrase "4-cylinder POS" that can be found in every single one of his posts. It's really annoying. And yes, he is saying that.

It's not even a judgment on the engine itself but rather he is saying that any 4-cylinder car is a POS.

Sad.
I say stick to the topic. No more annoying that carrying the Acura flag around here or me trying to send them to hell.

Old 05-24-09, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Fact is, I love my Yaris better than the V-8 '93 SC400 I traded in for it. I kid you not.
Though I don't care for the Yaris's styling and center-mount speedometer, I understand where you're coming from. It's an extremely well-built small car; solid as a rock, and gives good mileage to boot. I feel the same way about the small, 4-cylinder Subaru Impreza and Outback Sport (I have a 4-cylinder regular Outback now).

BTW, there are 4-bangers that will leave what ever you drive in the dust.
Depends on what he's driving, but you're right that cars like the 4-cylinder Evo and STi are not often outrun, and the VW/Audi 2.0T is also a honey of a little engine for its size, especially with the superb DSG transmission.
Old 05-24-09, 07:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not even a judgment on the engine itself but rather he saying that any 4-cylinder car is a POS.

Sad.
Well, its subjective, but I can't find myself to like any 4 cylinder car on the market today. I like luxury and refinement, and none of them offer that.
Old 05-24-09, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, its subjective, but I can't find myself to like any 4 cylinder car on the market today. I like luxury and refinement, and none of them offer that.

The normally-aspirated 4-cylinder Outback may not have a lot of power (turbo versions are avilable, if desired) but it is smooth, quiet, and refined......even with some wear on the tires, when many cars start getting noisy. Upmarket Outbacks are also quite luxurious inside.....especially for their price.

Josh (OCDetailer) took a ride with me in my Outback several weeks ago, when he was in the D.C. area, and was impressed with it (though his tastes are generally a little sportier).
Old 05-24-09, 07:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The normally-aspirated 4-cylinder Outback may not have a lot of power (turbo versions are avilable, if desired) but it is smooth, quiet, and refined......even with some wear on the tires, when many cars start getting noisy. Upmarket Outbacks are also quite luxurious inside.....especially for their price.

Josh (OCDetailer) took a ride with me in my Outback several weeks ago, when he was in the D.C. area, and was impressed with it (though his tastes are generally a little sportier).
I've rented the Subaru a few times when I went on vacation. Very nice ride, a lot of convenience and utility of an SUV. In fact, I will probably always rent it in the future, because of how convenient it is.

But when I mention the lack of refinement of a 4 cylinder, I dont mean the lack of a refinement of a car itself. Its just that 4 cylinders are not balanced by their nature, and simply do not belong in a luxury car. Mike (1SICK) brought a good point with the TSX. Compare the TSX 2.4 i4 to IS250 2.5 v6. They have about the same power output and return the same gas mileage, but from the start, to the ilde, to the cruising, to high revs the v6 in the Lexus just feels and sounds more refined. Seriously, whenever I hear the starting sounds of a 4 cylinder, or the vibration at ilde, or the trashy revs, it just makes me cringe.

Whats funny is that the same people who critisize me for my low opinion on 4 cylinders, will argue to death in the next thread how the BMW 328 is superior to G37 because the engine in the G37 is not as refined.
Old 05-24-09, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och

Whats funny is that the same people who critisize me for my low opinion on 4 cylinders, will argue to death in the next thread how the BMW 328 is superior to G37 because the engine in the G37 is not as refined.
lmfao.....that is true.

Mike, you make great points again as usual

Old 05-24-09, 07:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The normally-aspirated 4-cylinder Outback may not have a lot of power (turbo versions are avilable, if desired) but it is smooth, quiet, and refined......even with some wear on the tires, when many cars start getting noisy..

For a 4 banger yes, but compared to a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW six, the six is more refined, smooth and better engine sound quality by far. 4-bangers can achieve almost any target horsepower goals with high boost, but don't expect longevity, refinement, smoothness, or excellent gas mileage in the high-strung setup.

btw, many of the newer and better tires today have designs that minimize noise as the tire wears, which used to be a common complaint. But this tire wear/noise problem still is largely unresolved on AT tires for trucks/SUVs tires.
Old 05-24-09, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Look, maybe I was a litte over the line generalizing four bangers as POS. There are defenately cool four bangers our there, just nothing for my liking at this stage of my life. But just a few years back I would've loved myself an Evo or STI, and hopefully one day I'll have spare money to waste on S2000.

But my issue is what govt and this whole CAFE standards are gonna shove 4 cylinders into cars where 4 cylinders dont belong... and don't necessary provide any benefit. In a heavy car a small four cylinder has to work hard all the time, and its fuel economy may very well be worse than that of a V8. Seriously, try sticking a 4 cylinder into Escalade and see what happens.
Old 05-24-09, 07:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Seriously, try sticking a 4 cylinder into Escalade and see what happens.
Seriously, let's have a lame exec at bankrupt GM explain why they still make a Escalade today and if they have an intelligent plan to replace it.
Old 05-24-09, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody's saying a 4-cylinder is as "refined", smooth, and has the power curve of a V-6 or V-8.

I don't know why the argument is being made for the larger engines for these qualities. Of course they're "better". There's always that trade-off though.

I just feel the need to defend a 4-cylinder for it's intended purpose. Economical, efficient, cheaper to maintain, and suitable for a small to mid-size vehicle. A luxury car buyer in the US seemingly could care less about these attributes.

Clearly if you want luxury and performance, it's going to cost you. That's your business.
Old 05-24-09, 08:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Though I don't care for the Yaris's styling and center-mount speedometer, I understand where you're coming from. It's an extremely well-built small car; solid as a rock, and gives good mileage to boot.
Really?

(avatar pic)
Attached Thumbnails New CAFE Standard: 35mpg by 2016-parkinglothdr2dp-2.jpg  
Old 05-24-09, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Seriously, let's have a lame exec at bankrupt GM explain why they still make a Escalade today and if they have an intelligent plan to replace it.

Well, as much as I dislike the Escalade, its probably one of the few GM cars that actually turns a profit. I might be wrong though.
Old 05-24-09, 08:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Look, maybe I was a litte over the line generalizing four bangers as POS. There are defenately cool four bangers our there, just nothing for my liking at this stage of my life. But just a few years back I would've loved myself an Evo or STI, and hopefully one day I'll have spare money to waste on S2000.

But my issue is what govt and this whole CAFE standards are gonna shove 4 cylinders into cars where 4 cylinders dont belong... and don't necessary provide any benefit. In a heavy car a small four cylinder has to work hard all the time, and its fuel economy may very well be worse than that of a V8. Seriously, try sticking a 4 cylinder into Escalade and see what happens.
No problem. If it doesn't fit you, that's cool. It was just the broad stroke being made that 4-cylinder cars are nothing but crap that got me.
Old 05-24-09, 08:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

No problem. If it doesn't fit you, that's cool. It was just the broad stroke being made that 4-cylinder cars are nothing but crap that got me.
Glad we came to an understanding!

Quick Reply: New CAFE Standard: 35mpg by 2016