Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New CAFE Standard: 35mpg by 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 07:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
x2 Dustin makes a great point. I was a consumer who felt luxury was only big engines but I am now much more open minded to different engines in these vehicles, particularly smaller ones.

Again though, the luxury market is the vast minority of sales. I need to understand why the general "i hate cars" public needs these high hp VOLUME selling cars/SUVs. They are the majority of sales and sucking the gas up.

Why, so they can brag "hey I beat a Lexus/BMW etc in my Altima"

Your missing the plot, its still an Altima.

My G/F 4 cylinder 07 Altima maybe rough but it handles traffic fine and gets around fine and I've never felt it was underpowered with 180hp. I also get over 30MPG on the highway and 500 miles to the damn tank.

Why the hell does anyone need more power in an Altima/Camry/Accord etc is beyond me. So you can handle worse faster?
Mike, its easy to throw "why does any average Joe need more than 180hp?" comment, as long as you are not that average Joe. I'm sure you didn't "need" a 340hp Lexus, but you got one, right?

And more props to you, its your money, and if you can afford it - more power to you! This is still America after all.
Old 05-21-09, 07:43 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by copa
Under the new CAFE rules, average US fuel efficiency in the year 2016 will still be worse than it is in Europe TODAY.

If you want to imagine what things will be like here in seven years, you don't have to fantasize about a post-apocalyptic landscape of Tata Nanos. Just look at what Europe is like today.

Only things will be a lot better, because hybrid technology will have reached economies of scale.
As my buddy in germany once said

"you're allowed to own boats?"
Old 05-21-09, 07:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Under the new CAFE rules, average US fuel efficiency in the year 2016 will still be worse than it is in Europe TODAY.

If you want to imagine what things will be like here in seven years, you don't have to fantasize about a post-apocalyptic landscape of Tata Nanos. Just look at what Europe is like today.
God forbid if America ever becomes anywhere as miserable as Europe.
Old 05-21-09, 07:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

oh hey:
Light Cars are Dangerous Cars

The Clean Air Act's requirements have sent emissions in the right direction. According to the EPA, since 1980 annual emissions of carbon monoxide are down 52%, emissions of ozone are down 41%, and emissions of nitrogen dioxide are down 37%. (Emissions of lead are down 97% thanks to taking the lead out of gasoline in the early 1980s).

The Obama plan could slow this progress. An economic phenomenon called "price elasticity of demand" is well established when it comes to automobile purchases. In other words, if you raise the price of new cars, people will buy fewer of them or, at a minimum, put off the purchase for a year or so while they drive the old clunker for a few thousand more miles. And fewer new cars means more pollution, which can cause significant health problems. Yet environmentalists and the press have ignored this issue, so as not to inject a note of complexity or doubt into the chorus of glee that greeted the president's attack on greenhouse-gas emissions.
Ive been saying this the entire time

Last fall, however, both the press and the green community paid significant attention to a study conducted by researchers from California State University at Fullerton and Sonoma Technology Inc. The study showed that, from 2005-07, California's South Coast and San Joaquin Valley air basins experienced more than 100 days in which ozone levels exceeded the National Ambient Quality Standard. In each of those areas, more than 60% of the population was exposed to unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter.

The study concluded that if these areas had simply met the federal standard, these regions could have experienced 1,950 fewer new cases of adult-onset chronic bronchitis; 3,680 fewer premature deaths among those 30 and older; 141,370 fewer asthma attacks; almost 500,000 fewer lost days of work; and, importantly, avoided approximately $28 billion in total costs to the Southern California economy.

Clearly the health risks from fine particulates especially and also from smog are substantial. It is also true that many scientists and economists predict significant long-term costs associated with climate change. But the costs associated with excessive emissions of criteria air pollutants are immediate and observable.
The Obama fuel efficiency plan may also contribute to a significant increase in highway deaths as vehicles are required to quickly meet the new CAFE standard and will likely become lighter in weight as a result. According to a study completed in 2001 by the National Research Council (NRC), the last major increase in CAFE standards, mandated by the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975, required about a 50% increase in fuel economy (to 27.5 mpg by model year 1985 from an average of 18 mpg in 1978). The NRC study concluded that the subsequent downsizing and down-weighting of vehicles, "while resulting in significant fuel savings, also resulted in a safety penalty." Specifically, the NRC estimated that in 1993 there were between 1,300 and 2,600 motor vehicle crash deaths that would not have occurred if cars were as heavy as they were in 1976.

The president now proposes a fuel economy increase of similar magnitude in an even quicker time frame -- to 39 mpg by model year 2016 from 27.5 mpg now. Given the time it takes for new technologies to be developed, tested and incorporated into new car models, it is likely that down-weighting of cars will be an important means of meeting the new standard. And one result again could be highway deaths that might otherwise not have occurred.

Well, one might argue, this would not be the case if everyone drove smaller cars. The NRC study considered this countervailing fact and included it in its estimates. But nearly half of all car crashes (more than 48% in the years studied) are one-vehicle crashes. Put another way: If your car hits a tree or a post or a bridge abutment, you are most certainly better off in a larger car.
Old 05-21-09, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
So how will some of the luxury brands like Lexus, MB, BMW going to meet this 39mpg guideline? Does this mean you'll see prius like vehicles in there line up or will all the cars just be smaller in the future. If so i better buy my isf/c63/m3 in the next few years.
I wonder if the "loophole" will simply be large gas guzzler taxes or "luxury" taxes on such vehicles. There will obviously always be those who want there 500 hp beasts and they should have the option but that option may just have to come at an even higher cost than today. That will make these cars even more exclusive. And isn't exclusivity what the luxury car buyer wants?

Otherwise, I don't see luxury marques adhering to these CAFE standards unless their whole lineup uses advanced hybrid tech or other alternative. There's just not to many ways to increase the efficiency of traditional combustion engines which we still see in most cars today.
Old 05-21-09, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, its easy to throw "why does any average Joe need more than 180hp?" comment, as long as you are not that average Joe. I'm sure you didn't "need" a 340hp Lexus, but you got one, right?
I'm with Mike on this one. Yes, the fact is that many of us drive more vehicle than we actually need, but the equal fact is that many of us don't need them, and can get along just as well with lower-powered, less expensive cars.
I found that out when I got my Outback. I gave up a significant amount of power compared to the Lexus I owned previously, but, in return, got far more versatility and far better wet/snow traction.

But I, admittedly, often drove more car than I "needed", especially when I was a teen and young adult. I didn't NEED big, 60's-vintage luxury and muscle-cars....but yes, I liked them. I found out, like many other people, when the gas crunches hit in the 70's, that a small car got me where I was going just as well as the dinosaurs and the tire-smokers......less expensively.
Old 05-21-09, 07:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with Mike on this one. Yes, the fact is that many of us drive more vehicle than we actually need, but the equal fact is that many of us don't need them, and can get along just as well with lower-powered, less expensive cars.

I found that out when I got my Outback. I gave up a significant amount of power compared to the Lexus I owned previously, but, in return, got far more versatility and far better wet/snow traction.
you made a personal choice for yourself, good, but don't make personal choices for others.
Old 05-21-09, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och

And more props to you, its your money, and if you can afford it - more power to you! This is still America after all.
I am no elitist. What I am saying is 200hp Accords/Camrys etc were fine. We now have heavier, bigger, 250hp + ones that are barely more efficient.

Wouldn't it have been better if they all concentrated more on economy? Thats what they did in the 1980s. The 1990s came and marketing came, the horniness came, Nissan then promoted power of interiors and everything else important and everyone had to follow suit here.

Och, I looked at Mini Coopers, Prius's and Camry Hybrids as well. I wanted more fuel efficiency and I did the math and I saw the lower emissions and it made sense to me. I didn't need the government to tell me "buy a more fuel efficient car". I was getting 20 MPG if I was LUCKY since 2001. When it cost $80 to fill up the GS and I'm getting 320 miles to the tank, well, it kind of hit home. The "h" gave me the flexibility of actually moving up to a new GS, getting more economy, more power. I lose some trunk space. Neither GS is a stock canyon carver. Now I get 26 MPG easy and if I focus more, 28 MPG. Thats what a 40% difference or so?

I am certain from now on all my vehicles will either be hybrids unless its a sports car/sedan. Why not?

Again the other aspect is just drive less. My G/F and I are looking to move where our commutes are shorter and we can walk around more/near transit.

Its a lifestyle change. My "**** the world" 2Pac days are over

Old 05-21-09, 08:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Why do all your posts paint a picture of the world and USA ending? Its not. We will be posting here in 20 years enjoying better cars than ever.
Originally Posted by JLSC4
I wonder if the "loophole" will simply be large gas guzzler taxes or "luxury" taxes on such vehicles. There will obviously always be those who want there 500 hp beasts and they should have the option but that option may just have to come at an even higher cost than today. That will make these cars even more exclusive. And isn't exclusivity what the luxury car buyer wants?

Otherwise, I don't see luxury marques adhering to these CAFE standards unless their whole lineup uses advanced hybrid tech or other alternative. There's just not to many ways to increase the efficiency of traditional combustion engines which we still see in most cars today.
Good post. Luxury car makers ARE NOT going anywhere. Business is way too smart. Hell they have their hands in the governments pockets.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

But I, admittedly, often drove more car than I "needed", especially when I was a teen and young adult. I didn't NEED big, 60's-vintage luxury and muscle-cars....but yes, I liked them. I found out, like many other people, when the gas crunches hit in the 70's, that a small car got me where I was going just as well as the dinosaurs and the tire-smokers......less expensively.
Exactly. People need to make better choices. Period. I was driving today going around 62 MPH in a 55 zone on the highway. I'm getting passed by supposedly fuel efficent cars!! They are going 85 MPH plus on the highway. So they are getting nowhere CLOSE to their advertised MPG. The funniest was (another) Honda Fit. This car has like 108hp. Why are you in the fast lane going 85MPH? You are getting maybe 20 MPG at that point.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you made a personal choice for yourself, good, but don't make personal choices for others.
Dude, your IS 350 is luxury, sport with fuel efficiency. You made a good choice.

Old 05-21-09, 08:13 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Just like to point out that my car already exceeds the 2016 CAFE standard.

Yaris baby! And I LOVE it!

Average about 38 mpg without trying (including city). Achieves 45 mpg on highway at a steady 55 mph.

Many have made it clear that they wouldn't be caught dead in these types of cars, and that's fine. But let's stop saying "nobody wants them". I chose the Yaris sedan because I wanted it, not because I had to get it. It's fun to drive, reliable as a swiss timepiece, and get's me to work in the same time as a Porsche. Go to any subcompact car forum and you'll see bashing of anything that get's less than 30 mpg because these people actually don't have any interest in big inefficient vehicles even if they have money. Remember that there are many who just prefer small cars. And there are many reasons for this.
Old 05-21-09, 08:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I am no elitist. What I am saying is 200hp Accords/Camrys etc were fine. We now have heavier, bigger, 250hp + ones that are barely more efficient.

Wouldn't it have been better if they all concentrated more on economy? Thats what they did in the 1980s. The 1990s came and marketing came, the horniness came, Nissan then promoted power of interiors and everything else important and everyone had to follow suit here.
Well I think all three are concentrating on economy and power. You have the four cylinder models that are made for economy and the 6 cyls for power. Don't see any problem with that logic.

Och, I looked at Mini Coopers, Prius's and Camry Hybrids as well. I wanted more fuel efficiency and I did the math and I saw the lower emissions and it made sense to me. I didn't need the government to tell me "buy a more fuel efficient car". I was getting 20 MPG if I was LUCKY since 2001. When it cost $80 to fill up the GS and I'm getting 320 miles to the tank, well, it kind of hit home. The "h" gave me the flexibility of actually moving up to a new GS, getting more economy, more power. I lose some trunk space. Neither GS is a stock canyon carver. Now I get 26 MPG easy and if I focus more, 28 MPG. Thats what a 40% difference or so?

I am certain from now on all my vehicles will either be hybrids unless its a sports car/sedan. Why not?

Again the other aspect is just drive less. My G/F and I are looking to move where our commutes are shorter and we can walk around more/near transit.

Its a lifestyle change. My "**** the world" 2Pac days are over
Well its one thing when people make sensible decisions themselves, its another thing when the government is trying to dictate what people must do. I admire you making sensible decisions when it comes to fuel economy, and believe me, I'm pretty sensible myself, and if I drove a lot I would too get something economical. But since both me and my wife work mostly from our home office, we drive very little, with both our cars resting in the driveway, so fuel economy for me just isnt a concern.
Old 05-21-09, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Well I think all three are concentrating on economy and power. You have the four cylinder models that are made for economy and the 6 cyls for power. Don't see any problem with that logic.

Well its one thing when people make sensible decisions themselves, its another thing when the government is trying to dictate what people must do. I admire you making sensible decisions when it comes to fuel economy, and believe me, I'm pretty sensible myself, and if I drove a lot I would too get something economical. But since both me and my wife work mostly from our home office, we drive very little, with both our cars resting in the driveway, so fuel economy for me just isnt a concern.
Good post and I am not expecting people to trade in their cars. I just hope when the time comes for new vehicles, people really look at their true needs and something more efficient. Sadly people don't have that many choices. While the Prius is a hit, most DO NOT want to be in a weird looking car.

That is why I applaud the Fusion Hybrid. 41 MPG in the city and Tax credits.

The time is going to come where the HP wars are truly over and economy is the name of the game. Wahts wrong with that? For those that want to pay more for a V-8 or exotics etc, well they can make that choice.

Does it seem again the rich are taxed for enjoying pleasures? Yup. We've seen the luxury tax and the gas guzzler tax already. Sadly, it comes with the territory (or your accountant finds a way to lease it and write it off)

Old 05-21-09, 08:30 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1 !!!!

nope and here's why --- do you think a person making 6+ figures and driving a Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series really cares what mileage the car gets? no...so make the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series get 35 mpg.....

Or they will just no longer bring them to this country. Making it harder and more expensive for foreign entities to do business here will only hurt us in the long run.
Old 05-21-09, 08:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

people keep thinking hybrids are all good for the environment. The bodies of hybrids contain magnesium. First, who knows how much carbon footprint and energy it took to mine the magnesium needed for a hybrid body. There's other fun tidbits like if a hybrid catches on fire the fire burns really hot you cannot put it out with a regular fire extinguisher because of the magnesium. Toyota even has emergency manuals for rescue crews how to deal with a hybrid because you can electrocute rescue crews if they use the jaws of life on a crashed hybrid and nick the power cable. There's only specific points where you can cut the car. Battery packs are extremely dangerous if they have to cut or hose down a car.

Yea good for the environment What a joke.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...erg&_nfpb=true
Old 05-21-09, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

so? in europe most people drive four banger diesels. sure the newer diesels are much cleaner and smoother than in years past, but cars are NOT cheap there, plus, to keep fuel economy higher, most cars have very little sound insulation and are noisy as hell on the highway.

also, with huge fuel and other taxes in europe, cars are absurdly expensive, typically 50% more than in the u.s.

i know, and that SUCKS.

Only things will be a lot better, because hybrid technology will have reached economies of scale.
crazy. you make it seem like hybrids have no trade-offs. how about tiny trunks? how about HEAVY cars? and 'economies of scale'? there's always going to be several hundred dollars of price premium due to complexity, batteries, etc. i checked out a friend's 08 prius and while a hatch back, the 'floor' is so high you still can't fit much of anything bulky in the vehicle. and the electric to ICE transition is far from seamless.

Quick Reply: New CAFE Standard: 35mpg by 2016