Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my post a couple threads up on "How Reliable are Porsches", it will give you more specific info on the areas of concern regarding the engine of all the water-cooled Boxster/Caymen/Carerras through 2008-ish.
Old 05-19-09, 04:14 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman > 911 > Boxster

I've seen Cayman S engines being sold in Craigslist locally, people are swapping the 3.8 liter 911 in them and making the ultimate porsche*
Old 05-19-09, 09:40 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Cayman > 911 > Boxster

I've seen Cayman S engines being sold in Craigslist locally, people are swapping the 3.8 liter 911 in them and making the ultimate porsche*
but you still have an inferior gear box (1st and 2nd is taller in the cayman so it won't lose to a 911 in a 0-60 race stock for stock) and you'd have to get the new engine mounts and all of that etc etc

i think he just wants a car, not a weekend track toy that he's willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money on just to play with
Old 05-20-09, 06:50 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nabbun
but you still have an inferior gear box (1st and 2nd is taller in the cayman so it won't lose to a 911 in a 0-60 race stock for stock) and you'd have to get the new engine mounts and all of that etc etc

i think he just wants a car, not a weekend track toy that he's willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money on just to play with
nabbun,

You are correct. I am just looking to drive this thing stock. I'm not a big fan of modding cars. The only mods I would possibly do are hid's low beams and/or fogs.. maybe even a sub (if those are even considered mods hahha).
Old 05-20-09, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

lfeharri - my view is if it you're buying a small 2 seat car it might as well be a convertible! i own a miata (yeah, a poor man's boxster, lol) - i test drove a base boxster before getting the miata and was unimpressed, especially for the money, but as always, porsche keeps improving things, and the S is obviously quicker, handles better. the caymen is basically a 'hard core' fixed roof boxster, great if THE most important thing is max. performance/handling, but i wouldn't pay more to get a car without the convertible roof.

for grins you should test drive a loaded miata - you can get the power roof too. it's an impressive car and an amazing value. i didn't get the power roof because the manual roof is the easiest roof there is to raise/lower (5 seconds down or up), and this is the most fun car i've ever owned.