Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 02:45 PM
lfeharri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Questions

Hi All,

I am currently considering the Porsche Cayman S or the Porsche Boxster S. I think the Cayman S is higher in class and is just a tad bit faster; however, I am considering the Porsche Boxster S just because it is a convertible (although I heard rumors Cayman might come in a convertible). I just want to hear what everyone thinks about these two cars. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 05-18-09, 03:08 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster is virtually a convertible Cayman... almost identical... if you want a track car, Cayman (more solid, less weight, a bit faster)... if you want a convertible, the Boxster.

I've driven both (2009), there are equal to me, I like the look of the Cayman a bit more...
Old 05-18-09, 03:47 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both are overpriced for what they are. Consider a used 911 if you're gunning for a Cayman S.
Old 05-18-09, 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
The Boxster is virtually a convertible Cayman... almost identical... if you want a track car, Cayman (more solid, less weight, a bit faster)... if you want a convertible, the Boxster.

I've driven both (2009), there are equal to me, I like the look of the Cayman a bit more...
Yes, Boxster is a true roadster and was originally designed as such. My preference for street use is the Boxster, with the 911 looking better in hardtop form.
Old 05-18-09, 03:54 PM
LexFather

They are not overpriced in the used car market and looking at new car sales for the past decade, not overpriced to BUYERS

Both are sensational. The Boxster continues to be the best in class and some say the best handling car on the planet. The Cayman S is so good, Porsche won't give it more power so it won't possibly be BETTER than the 911.

Both mid engined, both have great features and can be loaded with pretty much the same items as the 911 from NAV to PCCB.

FYI the Cayman and Boxster are twins. THe Boxster has been sold since 1997, the Cayman is the "coupe" of it.

Old 05-18-09, 05:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

caymen imo is not worth additional money over boxster s.

all porsches can get really EXPENSIVE with the zillion options.
Old 05-18-09, 05:53 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

By any measure - objective and non-prejudicially subjective, cayman is MUCH better handling car than boxter. In fact, it's much better car, period. Certainly worth every penny of the difference - which I think is about 3k - between them. Unless you have to have a open top for whatever reason, you should not get boxter over cayman.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are not overpriced in the used car market and looking at new car sales for the past decade, not overpriced to BUYERS

Both are sensational. The Boxster continues to be the best in class and some say the best handling car on the planet. The Cayman S is so good, Porsche won't give it more power so it won't possibly be BETTER than the 911.

Both mid engined, both have great features and can be loaded with pretty much the same items as the 911 from NAV to PCCB.

FYI the Cayman and Boxster are twins. THe Boxster has been sold since 1997, the Cayman is the "coupe" of it.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
caymen imo is not worth additional money over boxster s.

all porsches can get really EXPENSIVE with the zillion options.
Old 05-18-09, 05:54 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

pretty much agree. cayman is not worth the extra premium over boxster. its why the boxster will always have 10hp less than the cayman equivalent. just a small reason to cough up 5-10k more.

go look for those 08 boxsters. you can get them uber cheap. im talking 17k off sticker.
Old 05-18-09, 05:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gshb
pretty much agree. cayman is not worth the extra premium over boxster. its why the boxster will always have 10hp less than the cayman equivalent. just a small reason to cough up 5-10k more.

go look for those 08 boxsters. you can get them uber cheap. im talking 17k off sticker.
I agree, for street use having owned 2 of them. Most likely the Cayman is cheaper to produce for Porsche.
Old 05-18-09, 06:04 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

When the Cayman came out into the market, it was a 50K two seater convertible with 201 hp. What were you saying about not being overpriced?
Old 05-18-09, 06:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by werewolf
When the Cayman came out into the market, it was a 50K two seater convertible with 201 hp. What were you saying about not being overpriced?
Just to clarify, it was the Boxster that came out as a $39K 201hp convertible (model year 1998). The Cayman came out later with about 220hp or so.
Old 05-18-09, 11:42 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lfeharri
Hi All,

I am currently considering the Porsche Cayman S or the Porsche Boxster S. I think the Cayman S is higher in class and is just a tad bit faster; however, I am considering the Porsche Boxster S just because it is a convertible (although I heard rumors Cayman might come in a convertible). I just want to hear what everyone thinks about these two cars. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
The Cayman is a Boxster coupe. The Cayman name was created in order to charge more than the Boxster. The only justification to charge more for a Cayman is Porsche had to design a machine to stamp that beautiful curve in the top of the quarter panel as previously no such machine existed. Buy the Boxster unless you want to spend an extra $8 - $10 grand for extra power & handling that you have to time with a stopwatch to detect
Old 05-18-09, 11:50 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=gshb;4532883]pretty much agree. cayman is not worth the extra premium over boxster. its why the boxster will always have 10hp less than the cayman equivalent. just a small reason to cough up 5-10k more.

go look for those 08 boxsters. you can get them uber cheap. im talking 17k off sticker.[/QUOTE

The new for 2009 Boxster/Cayman PDK Manualmatic transmission is most likely the reason for big discounts on 2008 models. Oh & I think the Boxster S finally gets the 3.4 engine
Old 05-19-09, 06:56 AM
lfeharri
Driver

Thank you for the comments everyone. I really appreciate how everyone can help in Club Lexus . The only thing driving me away from the Cayman is that extra 2-3k I have to pay for an additional 10 hp (plus it has no drop top). Living in Southern California, I think it is pretty convenient to have a convertible, especially living in beach communities. Anyways, feel free to keep commenting on both the cars. Thank you everyone!
Old 05-19-09, 02:02 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for a nice used, low mileage 986 Boxter S

since there are many out there, you can choose to be picky.

the prices have dipped pretty nicely too

look for one that has been well maintained and comes with all/most service records

getting a PPI is always nice and look to see if the RMS has been fixed in it's service records.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Porsche Questions