Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW and audi design the hottest bodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 08:00 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I like about Audi and VW is that they are elegant, sophisticated, and age very nicely.

Lexus, I love them to death, but their designs do not evoke any passion. I'm also really upset at how even with Lexus being broken off from Toyota, their designs still look like Toyota's. What's the difference between Toyota's Vibrant Clarity and Lexus' L-Finesse? Not that much anymore. (I see far more Camry in the LS than I would like, even moreso than in the ES)

Lexus needs a new design language. And word is that Toyota's are now being styled based on the new Prius makes me just cringe to see what they'd do to the beautiful GS.
Old 05-20-09, 08:25 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That VW to me looks hot! I think people cant tell the difference because they might not see them as often. When the new Lexus Lineup came out, I had a hard time figuring out wich was wich. but I started seeing them often
Old 05-20-09, 08:30 PM
LexFather

VW does nothing for me design wise. As bland as Toyota and with Toyota influence. Audi does have very good design with a lot of sameness. They also have their nice S-line kits and S/RS cars which of course look great as they have big wheels, they are dropped and have bodykits.

Here are some stock cars. Not so hot huh.

Lexus can be hit or miss as well depending on tastes. I find them like Audi, classy and understated but all Lexus don't look the same. I really like Audi/Lexus style/designs.

Old 05-20-09, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Now here they are modded/with factory kits and Audi does have the advantage I'll throw Toms in there for Lexus

Advantage, Audi

Old 05-21-09, 06:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You known when you have a winning design if you can make even a station wagon look sexy, and thats what Audi did. To me the Lexus L-Finesse design has out live its initial hype, it no long have a wow factor. When I first bought my GS350, I love the design, but it I didnt feel that way after 6 months. The design is too traditional and grows old fast. I agree with some of the posters here, Lexus need a new direction in their design studio. I think they have squeeze all they can out of this L-Finesse concept.
Old 05-21-09, 06:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
You known when you have a winning design if you can make even a station wagon look sexy, and thats what Audi did. To me the Lexus L-Finesse design has out live its initial hype, it no long have a wow factor. When I first bought my GS350, I love the design, but it I didnt feel that way after 6 months. The design is too traditional and grows old fast. I agree with some of the posters here, Lexus need a new direction in their design studio. I think they have squeeze all they can out of this L-Finesse concept.
THe RS6 is just fantastic to look at. TO me the gaping grill works best on big wagons, sedans and SUVs.

I find L-finesse to work great on the sedans not its not as successful on their SUVs. I seem to prefer the old SUVs exteriors thus far.

Old 05-21-09, 07:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I find L-finesse to work great on the sedans not its not as successful on their SUVs. I seem to prefer the old SUVs exteriors thus far.
I am not sure I would agree with that, the L finesse front end looks simply horrible on the new RX.
Old 05-21-09, 07:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Lexus need a new direction in their design studio. I think they have squeeze all they can out of this L-Finesse concept.
That has actually been the rumor not to long ago.

Lexus' L-finesse design language was meant to stand for "Seamless Anticipation," "Intriguing Elegance," and "Incisive Simplicity." If we put aside the marketing speak for a moment, the point of L-f was to give Lexus design a greater emotional connection with consumers. While it certainly didn't stop Lexus from selling more cars, we have a feeling that the increased number of wavy lines simply didn't resonate with the public quite like it was meant to.

Now Lexus is looking for a successor to L-finesse. Emotional connection from a purely design standpoint -- not "I just love my Toyota!" -- has been a weak point for Japanese cars in this country. Even the GT-R, the LF-A and the last Supra, technological tour-de-forces that they are (or were or will be), and for as much emotion as they inspire, are not pretty cars. The LS is a good looking car, but we wouldn't call it inspiring. Yet Lexus has a pretty good grasp on what its customers are looking for, so while we can't imagine that whatever's coming is going to be outrageous, we can hope that it will be a little less birds and clouds and a little more visceral.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/30/l...inesse-design/
Old 05-21-09, 07:51 AM
LexFather

I am not sure I would agree with that, the L finesse front end looks simply horrible on the new RX.
I think you mean to say you agree with me. I said I prefer the OLDER SUV looks, not the new ones. The new RX front end is very to me....only the 450h LEDs and different front bumper help. Stock RX 350, no thanks

Old 05-21-09, 08:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with the Audi part, not the VW part however
Old 05-21-09, 08:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think you mean to say you agree with me. I said I prefer the OLDER SUV looks, not the new ones. The new RX front end is very to me....only the 450h LEDs and different front bumper help. Stock RX 350, no thanks
Lol, sorry about that 1sicklex, we disagree so much that I think it was just an automatic reaction on my part.
Old 05-21-09, 08:28 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only good looking Audi's are the a5 and the r8, the rest are way overrated design wise and just pretty standard. As for VW besides that new concept they don't have anything really good looking except for maybe the new GTI
Old 05-21-09, 10:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Exterior design are so subjective, no design can please everybody. One thing is for sure, the Audi and Lexus' design studio have different target customers. The Lexus designs are much more conservative, it is design to please almost everybody, but wow no one. The Audi designs has a lot of wow factor and some people finds it being too much.
Old 05-21-09, 12:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You known when you have a winning design if you can make even a station wagon look sexy, and thats what Audi did.
Agreed, it's not easy.
Attached Thumbnails VW and audi design the hottest bodies-wagon-c-class-estate-08-red.jpg  
Old 05-21-09, 12:38 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thats a nice looking C wagon IS-SV.

Quick Reply: VW and audi design the hottest bodies