Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Manthey Motors M600 997 GT2 and Unsprung weight math....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 05:53 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Manthey Motors M600 997 GT2 and Unsprung weight math....

I'm reading on my of Excellence mags (June 09) and they test the Manthey Motors M600 997 GT2

The car has 19x9 and 19x 11.5 BBS Motorsport MM2 magnesium alloy wheels. What makes these extra special is BBS makes road wheels but BBS Motorsport WILL NOT make road wheels for anyone but Manthey.

Olef Manthey (google is your friend, he is a Porsche god) -"removing 33 lbs of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivilent to losing 198 lbs from the body of the car, as a 1:6 factor has to be applied when the car is movingand that weight becomes mass. In fact we are conservative as Porsche considers it to be 1:7". ( I am sure some knew this forumla but I did not)

The car is 88 lbs lighter than the stock GT2 which weighs 3175 lbs. The car makes 594hp instead of the stock 530hp.

I'll post pics later

Old 05-20-09, 06:42 PM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post pics now!!!!!!!! lol
Old 05-20-09, 07:40 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jchong
Post pics now!!!!!!!! lol
Picture buttsecks

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art1/art1p1.html

Old 05-20-09, 09:11 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

nice to see you subscribe to THE Porsche magazine

and yes, I found out about that ratio when I was researching on which rims to buy my car.
Old 05-20-09, 09:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Nice Porsche! That "math" is a myth btw. Just cuz he's a Porsche god doesn't mean what he says is true. There are plenty of real world tests that show that wheel rigidity is just as important, if not more important than wheel weight.

Here's a recent article on modified magazine.. They don't show the head-to-head chart online, but it's a good read. You can read the conclusion on the last page. There were no discernible track time differences.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...ter/index.html

I also read a Japanese mag recently where they used a pro race car driver to do a back-to-back test with two exact wheels, one which is lightened through some manufacturing process. The heavier wheel yielded a faster track time.
Old 05-20-09, 10:57 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by primecut
Nice Porsche! That "math" is a myth btw. Just cuz he's a Porsche god doesn't mean what he says is true. There are plenty of real world tests that show that wheel rigidity is just as important, if not more important than wheel weight.

Here's a recent article on modified magazine.. They don't show the head-to-head chart online, but it's a good read. You can read the conclusion on the last page. There were no discernible track time differences.

I also read a Japanese mag recently where they used a pro race car driver to do a back-to-back test with two exact wheels, one which is lightened through some manufacturing process. The heavier wheel yielded a faster track time.

Good information on the links you provided. Although in their tests the weight difference between their lightest wheel and heaviest is only 3 lbs. hardly any difference there. I think the tests would be more meanfull if the difference is 10-15 lbs more.
Old 05-21-09, 06:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nabbun
nice to see you subscribe to THE Porsche magazine

and yes, I found out about that ratio when I was researching on which rims to buy my car.
Yeah I have for years. Its called Porsche preparation for that fateful day of ownership I also love Total 911 and have gotten it since issue 1.
Originally Posted by primecut

Thanks for the link and info.

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Good information on the links you provided. Although in their tests the weight difference between their lightest wheel and heaviest is only 3 lbs. hardly any difference there. I think the tests would be more meanfull if the difference is 10-15 lbs more.
Yeah the BBS wheels saved a whopping 33lbs, on wide 19" wheels....

Old 05-21-09, 07:02 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Good read. Thanks for the info.