Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this list accurate?
Yes, they called my state out, very accurate
64.29%
Somewhat Accurate
0%
Not accurate at all, my state is much better
0%
Not accurate at all, my state is much worse
21.43%
I ride the world wide web, I don't drive
0%
The Goat's are the worst!!!
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Ranking of the states with the worst drivers and take a test to see how u r

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Default Ranking of the states with the worst drivers and take a test to see how u r

Test
http://nationaldriverstest.com/

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...JzdC1kcml2ZXJz

The worst drivers in America live in New York. Of course, you knew that. You've been in the Holland Tunnel. But now, we have proof.

GMAC Insurance has released the results of its National Drivers Test for 2009. The test, which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, was given to more than 5,000 drivers from all 50 states and the District of Columbia -- and New Yorkers finished last. Last year's loser, New Jersey, improved its score just enough to leap over New York. Hawaii, California and Georgia rounded out the bottom five.

More from U.S. News & World Report

» Cars Most Likely to Get a Ticket

» Car Insurance (Bad Drivers Welcome!)

Idaho and Wisconsin drivers tied for the highest average score, with an 80.6.

The point of the test, of course, is not just to confirm what anyone who's tried to merge onto the Thruway already knew. It's to measure how much we know about safe driving. And the news isn't good.

In a press release, GMAC explains, "Results from the 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test released today found that 20.1 percent of licensed Americans - amounting to roughly 41 million drivers on the road - would not pass a written drivers test exam if taken today." Most of us have trouble, according to the results, with "questions about yellow lights and safe following distances."

The survey has been given for five years. The average score has fluctuated up and down during that time, but this year it is down - 76.6 percent versus last year's 78.1.

GMAC notes, "In general, geographical regions ranked similarly to previous years, with the lowest average test scores in the Northeast, while the states in the Midwest held the highest averages. When comparing genders, men are still more likely to pass the test than women, but the gap is considerably smaller in 2009 (81 percent of males versus 79 percent of females) than in 2008 (87 percent of males versus 80 percent of females)."

And, "The older the driver, the higher the test score." Drivers over 35 were more likely to pass than those under 35, while men over 45 posted the highest scores, and "the age group with the highest failure rates was young adults (18 to 24 years old)."

Curious how you'd do? Take the test yourself at nationaldriverstest.com. When you're finished, GMAC will even let you play a video game that teaches you how to avoid elderly people and aliens in the roadway (no, we're not kidding).

State Rankings

Note: Many states tied for the same position in the rankings.
1 IDAHO
1 WISCONSIN
3 MONTANA
4 KANSAS
5 SOUTH DAKOTA
5 NEBRASKA
7 UTAH
8 WYOMING
8 IOWA
8 OREGON
8 MINNESOTA
12 ALASKA
12 NORTH DAKOTA
14 VERMONT
15 COLORADO
15 MISSOURI
17 OKLAHOMA
17 WASHINGTON
19 NEW MEXICO
20 NORTH CAROLINA
21 VIRGINIA
22 INDIANA
22 MICHIGAN
24 ARKANSAS
24 TEXAS
26 ALABAMA
26 NEVADA
28 WEST VIRGINIA
29 ILLINOIS
30 ARIZONA
31 MAINE
32 DELAWARE
33 NEW HAMPSHIRE
34 OHIO
35 KENTUCKY
36 PENNSYLVANIA
37 LOUISIANA
38 TENNESSEE
38 MISSISSIPPI
40 SOUTH CAROLINA
40 MARYLAND
42 CONNECTICUT
43 FLORIDA
44 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
45 MASSACHUSETTS
46 RHODE ISLAND
47 GEORGIA (THIS IS SO TRUE)!!!!
48 CALIFORNIA
49 HAWAII
50 NEW JERSEY
51 NEW YORK

Old 05-21-09, 09:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say to drive in the states with the worst drivers you need to be a pretty good driver. I have driven with my sister in law in NTC and she makes shumaker look like a little girl struggling for position. She is so aggressive and defensive behind the wheel.
Old 05-22-09, 04:08 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an interesting test, Mike, but not a true indicator of how good a driver you are. Mostly, just how knowledgeable you are about road and traffic laws. I lived in California most of my life and can can tell you for a fact that the drivers there are 10 times better than the drivers here, in South Florida.
Old 05-22-09, 06:35 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL Mike, I'll take NYC drivers in morning rush hour over Atlanta any day of the week. That I-75 traffic flow is mind boggling.
Old 05-22-09, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
It's an interesting test, Mike, but not a true indicator of how good a driver you are. Mostly, just how knowledgeable you are about road and traffic laws. I lived in California most of my life and can can tell you for a fact that the drivers there are 10 times better than the drivers here, in South Florida.
I thought Mexico City was bad, then I came back to South Florida and they are not only worse than when I was in Mexico but also when when I lived here 15 years ago.
Old 05-22-09, 07:20 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

damn so true, NJ drivers suck *****. Most have forgotten their cars came with blinkers already.
Old 05-22-09, 08:11 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think Hawaii was that bad LOL... guess I need to spend more time on Oahu.
Old 05-22-09, 08:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

With "It's okay to drive 56 mph in the left lane until you run out of gas" and "Stop signs cut down gas mileage so ignore" as criteria, no wonder WI tied for 1st...
Old 05-22-09, 11:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

did the test, got 90% (2 wrong)
Old 05-22-09, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You will notice many of the highest scores are in rural states with light traffic and a relaxed, slower pace-of-life. The worst scores (in general) are in highly urbanized states with dense traffic, a lot of daily commuting pressure, and people driving aggressively just to try to get where they are going as quick as possible.
Old 05-22-09, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
did the test, got 90% (2 wrong)
I also got a 90, but I disagree with the answer to the question about passing another vehicle on the right on a multi-lane highway. Their answer is no, but that is incorrect. Sometimes you have no choice but to pass on the right, especially when you have Granny in the left lane going UNDER the speed limit, and the road conditions are good enough for the posted limit or faster.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.... Sometimes you have no choice but to pass on the right, especially when you have Granny in the left lane going UNDER the speed limit, and the road conditions are good enough for the posted limit or faster. (1)
Foot notes:
(1.) Please see Wisconsin
Old 05-22-09, 02:13 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

theres two 26's..
South Florida roads are crowded with old people who drive 15mph under the speed limit.
which is why we are number 43
Old 05-22-09, 02:59 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

the only reason IL is 29 is because of chicago, IL probably is is 1 out side of cook county
Old 05-26-09, 08:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just got back from a weekend trip to New York and New Jersey. I must that that rating is right on the money. When you cross Washington bridge or Holland Tunnel, you are literally take your life into your own hands.

Quick Reply: Ranking of the states with the worst drivers and take a test to see how u r