Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 25 Quotes from Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 09:58 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top 25 Quotes from Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

1. “I’d like to consider Ferrari as a scaled down version of God.”

2. [On the Porsche Boxster] “It couldn’t pull a greased stick out of a pig’s bottom.”

3. [When driving the Mercedes SLR McLaren through a tunnel] “When they debate as to what the sound of the SLR engine was akin to, the British engineers from McLaren said it sounded like a Spitfire. But the German engineers from Mercedes said ‘Nein! Nein! Sounds like a Messerschmitt!’ They were both wrong. It sounds like the God of Thunder, gargling with nails.”

4. “I’m sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a ******* it’s not going to happen.”

5. “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

6. “Koenigsegg are saying that the CCX is more comfortable. More comfortable than what… being stabbed?”

7. [On Detroit] “God may have created the world in six days, but while he was resting on the seventh, Beelzebub popped up and did this place.”

8. “Owning a TVR in the past was like owning a bear. I mean it was great, until it pulled your head off, which it would.”

9. [On the Renault Clio V6] “I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.”

10. [On the Enzo Ferrari] “I rang up Jay Kay, who’s got one, and said: “Can we borrow yours?” and he said, “Yeah, if I can borrow your daughter, because it amounts to the same thing.”

11. [On the Porsche Cayenne] “I’ve seen gangrenous wounds better looking than this!”

12. “The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw.”

13. “Whenever I’m suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.”

14. “If you were to buy a [BMW] 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends’ houses so they don’t see its backside.”

15. “That [Pagani] Zonda, really! It’s like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.”

16. [On a Chevrolet Corvette] “The Americans lecture the world on democracy and then won’t let me turn the traction control off!”

17. [On the Alfa Romeo Brera] “Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t
you?”

18. “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

19. “This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s much to shout about. That’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!’”

20. “In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.”

21. [On the Mercedes CLS55 AMG] “It sounds like Barry White eating wasps.”

22. “I’d rather go to work on my hands and knees than drive there in a Ford Galaxy. Whoever designed the Ford Galaxy upholstery had a cauliflower fixation. I would rather have a vasectomy than buy a Ford Galaxy.”

23. “Usually, a Range Rover would be beaten away from the lights by a diesel powered wheelbarrow.”

24. “Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It’s like making a hardcore adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You’d just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke’s sweaty face.”

25. “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?”
Old 05-21-09, 10:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think he is funny as hell. I really enjoy Top Gear and all three hosts, but he is the funniest by far.
Old 05-21-09, 10:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! haha
Old 05-21-09, 10:08 PM
LexFather

I laugh everytime!!! I should have a top 25 quotes

Old 05-21-09, 10:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too freakin' funny.

Don't always agree with his car opinions, but he is the consumate entertainer.
Old 05-21-09, 10:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to admit its funny when they compare cars and Jeremy likes one and rags on the other. Then the car he hated smokes the car he loved when the stig flogs the cars on the track he looks like a big clown
Old 05-22-09, 12:27 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao I love Clarkson. No homo.

Top Gear is prolly my favorite show.

You can't beat those 3 guys.

or his quotes lol
Old 05-22-09, 05:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Classic! Great stuff!
Old 05-22-09, 08:33 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Love Top Gear, I was late to finding out about all the hype, but about a year and a half ago when I did finally catch on, I caught up!

Clarkson is a riot and the 3 together is amazing!

Best show ever!
Old 05-22-09, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

1. “I’d like to consider Ferrari as a scaled down version of God.”
God isn't constantly in the repair shop.

2. [On the Porsche Boxster] “It couldn’t pull a greased stick out of a pig’s bottom.”
That's why you have the Boxster S.

3. [When driving the Mercedes SLR McLaren through a tunnel] “When they debate as to what the sound of the SLR engine was akin to, the British engineers from McLaren said it sounded like a Spitfire. But the German engineers from Mercedes said ‘Nein! Nein! Sounds like a Messerschmitt!’ They were both wrong. It sounds like the God of Thunder, gargling with nails.”
That's assuming a Corvette or Dodge Viper isn't in the same tunnel with it. There's REAL sound.

4. “I’m sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If you’ve got even half a ******* it’s not going to happen.”
Not driving it? Maybe both the DB9 and Clarkson were out of gas.

5. “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
In that case, don't panic-brake a Porsche 911.

9. [On the Renault Clio V6] “I think the problem is that it’s French. It’s a surrendermonkey.”
Only someone with Gaul would say that.

10. [On the Enzo Ferrari] “I rang up Jay Kay, who’s got one, and said: “Can we borrow yours?” and he said, “Yeah, if I can borrow your daughter, because it amounts to the same thing.”
Usually that's said about a Beetle convertible, not an Enzo.

11. [On the Porsche Cayenne] “I’ve seen gangrenous wounds better looking than this!”
Wonder what he would think of the Aztek?

12. “The air conditioning in Lamborghinis used to be an asthmatic sitting in the dashboard blowing at you through a straw.”
At 180 MPH, who needs A/C?.....just crack a window.

13. “Whenever I’m suffering from insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.”
Try actually driving one, and you'll be Rip Van Winkle.

14. “If you were to buy a [BMW] 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends’ houses so they don’t see its backside.”
By the time you figure out how to select reverse on BMW electronic shifters, your friends will all be in bed.

16. [On a Chevrolet Corvette] “The Americans lecture the world on democracy and then won’t let me turn the traction control off!”
Sounds like they don't get your drift.

17. [On the Alfa Romeo Brera] “Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste.
Eats only paste? What happened to Brad?

19. “This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that’s much to shout about. That’s like saying ‘Oh good, I’ve got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!’”
STD's, unlike the Espace, can be controlled with Penicillin.

21. [On the Mercedes CLS55 AMG] “It sounds like Barry White eating wasps.”
Didn't know wasps tasted that good.

22. “I’d rather go to work on my hands and knees than drive there in a Ford Galaxy.
I thought driving WAS his work.

23. “Usually, a Range Rover would be beaten away from the lights by a diesel powered wheelbarrow.”
The wheelbarrow would sure win leaving the repair shop.

24. “Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It’s like making a hardcore adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You’d just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke’s sweaty face.”
He apparantly hasn't driven an Evo.

25. “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?”
Well, he can always go back home and clean his OWN house.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol these are great quotes. i really love this guy. he might have his bias and what not, but he has an unique (and imho lovable) personality
Old 05-22-09, 07:30 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

When ever I'm feeling unhappy, a small dose of Clarkson will brighten my mood.
Old 05-22-09, 11:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

24 and 25 are my favs
Old 05-23-09, 03:50 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

top gear is one of my favorite shows as well.. those 3 guys are a great combo. i LMAO sometimes.
Old 05-23-09, 01:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

love all of them but just wanted to make a small correction:

This wasnt when he was reviewing the Corvette, IIRC this was the episode they did on the sandy beach, and he was driving the 300C. Richard had a supercharged Jaguar S-Type R, and James had a Vauxhall Monaro.

Quick Reply: Top 25 Quotes from Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson