Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

***NEW ALPINA B7*** (F01) Production Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 12:14 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ***NEW ALPINA B7*** (F01) Production Pics!

My.... Oh... My...

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-22-09 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 12:28 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

The fully-aluminium, 4395 cm3 V8 aggregate yields 507 peak horsepower (373 kW) at a moderate 5500rpm, with a maximum torque of 700 Nm available between 3000-4750rpm.

Two especially for the ALPINA powerplant constructed turbochargers with generously-dimensioned turbine vanes are responsible for the forced induction. Thorough exploitation of the engine’s potential was achieved by means of optimising the indirect intercooler (air-water/water-air) with its short intake paths and flow-optimised intercooler tracts.

High-performance pistons are at work in the cylinders, carefully developed to harmonise with a compression of 9.2:1 and a maximum turbo boost of 1.0 bar. The result is a formidable specific output of 115hp (85kW) per litre, with a maximum average compression of 20.1 bar, a benchmark even amongst established sportscars. One look at the torque and power diagram is enough to highlight that the B7 Bi-Turbo will accelerate fiercely and effortlessly from very low revs. Peak torque is available from an unusually broad range of rpm’s, ranging from 3,000 to 4,750 rpm. This wide powerband coupled with the exquisitely geared ZF six-speed automatic sport transmission pampers the occupants with remarkably high levels of smooth drivetrain comfort in every driving situation.
Transmission

The ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC, which has been programmed to shift exceptionally smooth and comfortable in Automatic mode, offers different shift characteristics for every taste and situation thanks to the additional Sport and Manual modes. Driving the B7 Bi-Turbo becomes an altogether different experience when using the buttons found on the back of the steering wheel for manually selecting the gears of the automatic transmission. This ensures shifts take place within a few hundred milliseconds and with only minimal interruption to the transmission of power, favourably comparable even to the best twin-clutch transmissions. As a result, the B7 Bi-Turbo sprints from 0-100 km/h in 4.7 seconds, vehemently pressing on to an electronically-limited 280 km/h top speed. Chassis & Suspension
Suspension

Long gone are the days when a purely "hard and sporty" ride was a sought-after attribute of suspension set-ups. Striving for truly neutral handling continues to be the intelligent way forward, yielding the best of what is technologically feasible.

In pursuit of this goal, marginally shorter and uniquely calibrated springs reduce front and rear ride height by 15mm and 10mm respectively. Together with the 21" wheel and tyre combination the suspension is at once sensitive to inputs and direct in its feel, yet free from the harshness of a purely sports-oriented suspension, imparting this large saloon with an agility usually only associated with much smaller sports saloons. The light-weight 21" wheels, with their new interpretation of the ALPINA CLASSIC wheel design, are shod with an especially selected staggered MICHELIN tyre set-up: 245/35 R21 front and 285/30 R21 rear. Foregoing Run-Flat technology, conventional tyres are used to ensure a supple, comfortable finesse that is rare today.

ALPINA have integrated state-of-the-art electronic suspension technologies, skilfully and subtly adjusting them to the demanding requirements of our customers. As part of the B7 Bi-Turbo standard equipment, the electronic suspension system with Dynamic Damping Control and Dynamic Drive (active roll stabilisation) enable the driver to select from three distinct suspension set-ups: Comfort, Normal and Sport. The B7 Bi-Turbo offers the driver unheard-of versatility, delivering on long-distance comfort just as readily as on back-road pace, always with a maximum of enjoyment and safety.
At once dynamic, graceful and potent - the silhouette of the B7 Bi-Turbo is significantly influenced by the evolutionary new design of the 21" ALPINA CLASSIC wheels. A turbine-like three-dimensional curve guides each of the 20 spokes from the centre of the wheel to the rim, at which point they have a milled surface. Depending on the angle of the viewer, the rotational speed of the wheels and the light, the appearance of these classic wheels is constantly changing. Of course they continue to possess the refined tyre air valves, safely and attractively hidden away behind the lockable wheel covers.
Exterior

In true "form-follows-function" fashion, the typical ALPINA front integrates the fresh-air requirements of the transmission and engine oil coolers, which are separated out of the main cooler module for improved efficiency. The design of the front and rear spoiler follows clearly aerodynamically-oriented interests, reducing lift at the front and rear by 30% and 15% respectively. Left and right, the exhaust system’s two double tailpipes are seamlessly integrated into the rear valance and are witness to the B7 Bi-Turbo’s potency.
Interior

When climbing into the B7 Bi-Turbo, one immediately takes note of the ALPINA door sill trims which are finely illuminated in blue. The SWITCH-TRONIC steering wheel is gloved and hand-stitched in the finest, most comfortable LAVALINA leather. In the driver’s line of sight, red pointers over a field of blue dials grace the instrument cluster, where a Black-Panel LCD screen is responsible for communicating driver-important information.

Exclusive interior luxury wood trim in the form of Myrtle Burl, a knotted burl of the Laurel only found on the Pacific Coast of the United States, provides a warm and traditional ambience. Optional ALPINA Piano Lacquer interior trim with its silver diagonal rhombs, offers a modern and just as exclusive alternative.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-22-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 12:52 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

iono if its just me but i dont see any pics
Old 05-22-09, 01:14 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I saw these same little pictures of an "X" last week... the new B7 is a COPYCAT!!!!
Old 05-22-09, 02:21 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Fixed...............................
Old 05-22-09, 02:33 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

High-Res shots from the Geneva Auto Show here: http://www.globalmotors.net/2009-alp...d-live-images/
Old 05-22-09, 05:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your pics fail. you must be behind a proxy at work

i like this bmw's interior.
Old 05-22-09, 05:32 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Alpina never fails at making the 7 look sicker then it is.
Old 05-22-09, 06:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smaller wheels and a drop would have done wonders, but as is I think it looks awful.

The 9 inches of ground clearance is especially awful looking IMO.
Old 05-22-09, 06:00 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

im not a huge fan of the new 7 series but this is badass
Old 05-22-09, 06:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I look at this the less I like it. The spoiler on the rear looks awful and the front lip/bumper also looks horribly cheap.

This is so much better looking:

Nice stance, proportionate wheels, no cheap aero pieces.
Old 05-22-09, 11:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I am starting to hate Alpina more and more. I really do agree this looks awful. It doesn't help that the stock new 7 doesn't look that great. I really starting to dislike those Alpina rims, and the huge ground clearance is awful. People endlessly criticize Lexus and Toyota for high ground clearance, so Alpina definitely deserves criticism too, especially as this is supposed to be a high performance sedan.

I agree MPLexus301, the pics of the black 7 you posted look much better.

The only thing I like that Alpina added is maybe the front lip, and the mechanical upgrades.
Old 05-22-09, 11:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it looks horrible. It looks tarted up. They need to do a better kit and SLAM that thing. I dont like when after market companies try to turn luxury cars in to sports cars.
Old 05-23-09, 12:51 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think it looks horrible. It looks tarted up. They need to do a better kit and SLAM that thing. I dont like when after market companies try to turn luxury cars in to sports cars.
I really hope not actually. They have a history in ETCC, hillclimb, rally, etc. To become one of those "tuner" companies with fugly body and slammed without suspension geometry correction is the last thing I want to see.

Their respect towards BMW (by not putting their logo in the kidney grill), attention to detail (no valve stem on the rim!), their understated looks for what they do to extend the performance of a BMW, and being a manufacturer and not a "tuner", really wins my respect.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-09, 01:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally they got rid of those ugly headlights on the 7!!!!! These new ones look 100x better!

Quick Reply: ***NEW ALPINA B7*** (F01) Production Pics!