Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid GX and LX SUVs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 03:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hybrid GX and LX SUVs?

anyone know if lexus will come out with a hybrid GX or LX suv? as much as i like the RX, it's a tad bit too small (5 seater only). but the GX or LX don't come in hybrid which i prefer to get...
Old 05-25-09, 03:53 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really like to see one come out. I am interested in the RXh but my current RX isn't the best towing vehicle. This is why I have expanded my search to the X5 35d and ML BluTec. However the reliability of the Germans scares me. If they came out with a hybrid GX or LX I would pick it up in a flash. Good power, mileage, towing, and reliability. The huge sum of torque the electric motors produce would make the GX or LX truly amazing towing vehicles!
Old 05-25-09, 04:40 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the GL320 CDI, if you are scared of reliabily issues buy a radio flyer wagon. Seriously how can you say I dont want a bmw or a jaguar or audi or vw pheaton or a mercedes because all I want from a car is reliabilty. Thats like saying all I want from a girl friend is punctuality. The only way to have fun with most lexus's is to drive with your head out the sun roof but that gets boring too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFly41mp6H8
Old 05-25-09, 05:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

It's only a matter of time with the already released new generation LX and upcoming GX models. Hell, GM appears to have done a pretty good job with the Hybrid Escalade. Lexus will deliver for us. It's like they add a new hyrbrid to their fleet every year. So it's bound to happen. Don't expect HID's in them though! We all know the story on that.
Old 05-25-09, 06:01 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Hybrids

Toyota once said that they want their entire lineup to have a hybrid option ... altho I have forgotten by what year. I think it was 2015 or so.
Old 05-25-09, 06:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
Toyota once said that they want their entire lineup to have a hybrid option ... altho I have forgotten by what year. I think it was 2015 or so.
True. Rumor is they are waiting for the next gen of batteries/tech before they install in the rest of both brands. With Cafe standards changing, it surely will be sooner than later. Some of it is outside the 5.0+ hybrid setup, no V-8s have hybrid setups.
Could V-6+ hybrid setups be coming for the GX/LX?

Old 05-25-09, 06:47 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
True. Rumor is they are waiting for the next gen of batteries/tech before they install in the rest of both brands. With Cafe standards changing, it surely will be sooner than later. Some of it is outside the 5.0+ hybrid setup, no V-8s have hybrid setups.
GM does
Old 05-25-09, 08:49 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
well the LS600hL is a V8 hybrid; can't they use that engine in the GX/LX?
Old 05-25-09, 08:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that engine is not geared for more low end torque like those SUVs need to tow and go offroad
Old 05-26-09, 01:22 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

A diesel option makes so much more sense for the GX/LX.
Old 05-26-09, 04:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I would really like to see one come out. I am interested in the RXh but my current RX isn't the best towing vehicle. This is why I have expanded my search to the X5 35d and ML BluTec. However the reliability of the Germans scares me. If they came out with a hybrid GX or LX I would pick it up in a flash. Good power, mileage, towing, and reliability. The huge sum of torque the electric motors produce would make the GX or LX truly amazing towing vehicles!
Add a Audi Q7 diesel to your seach... drove all 3 back-to-back-to-back... not even a contest...

... oh yeah... then drive a GX470... ESPECIALLY if reliability is your #1 priority, if not, the Germans make the most fun-to-drive SUVs... and if reliability is no issue, BUY a Cayenne...
Old 05-26-09, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
well the LS600hL is a V8 hybrid; can't they use that engine in the GX/LX?
I think thats a car engine, not a SUV one.

Old 05-26-09, 08:42 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

IB4vwtouaregisbetterthangxandgxispradotalk

your probably gonna have to wait awhile before lexus comes out with a hybride version of the lx/gx. how about the highlander hybrid? looks pretty big to me...
Old 05-26-09, 09:38 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by wolverine
IB4vwtouaregisbetterthangxandgxispradotalk

your probably gonna have to wait awhile before lexus comes out with a hybride version of the lx/gx. how about the highlander hybrid? looks pretty big to me...
thx for the tip, i haven't even considered the toyota lineup!
Old 05-26-09, 12:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

It would be smart for them to connect their hybrid powertrain to the new 4.6L. That setup could go into the GX, LX, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, Land Crusier. Though, it might be smarter to connect it to a smaller engine. The Tahoe hybrid could be far more efficient if it werent attached to a 6.2L.

Quick Reply: Hybrid GX and LX SUVs?