Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hondas forever doomed to be riced out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 09:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Civics, yes.
Accords, sometimes.
Honda as a whole, not really.

Yes, Hondas are very modifiable, and that's a good thing IF done tastefully and purposefully.

However, some (if not most of) Honda tuners have a lack of taste and purpose. Therefore, they make the brand look bad as a whole, especially when paired with unsafe uncouth driving manners. The brand just seeks a different crowd that Toyota/Lexus...
Old 05-26-09, 11:55 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Civics, yes.
Accords, sometimes.
Honda as a whole, not really.

Yes, Hondas are very modifiable, and that's a good thing IF done tastefully and purposefully.

However, some (if not most of) Honda tuners have a lack of taste and purpose. Therefore, they make the brand look bad as a whole, especially when paired with unsafe uncouth driving manners. The brand just seeks a different crowd that Toyota/Lexus...
Factory "rice" parts is all that prevented me from buying a new IS300 & then the IS-F also. I love my IS350 almost as much as my trouble free Prelude SI
Old 05-26-09, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Factory "rice" parts is all that prevented me from buying a new IS300 & then the IS-F also. I love my IS350 almost as much as my trouble free Prelude SI
Please explain how proven performance parts provided by the factory are rice? Are AMG sport and M sport parts rice too? Are Scion parts and TRD parts too?

The pics posts is rice. What you are saying is nowhere near rice.

Old 05-26-09, 12:25 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please explain how proven performance parts provided by the factory are rice? Are AMG sport and M sport parts rice too? Are Scion parts and TRD parts too?

The pics posts is rice. What you are saying is nowhere near rice.
Please list the "proven performance parts" on the IS300 & the EXTERIOR of the "F"
Old 05-26-09, 12:29 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRD body "accessories" have always looked like utter tasteless gargabe, if that's what your getting at...
Old 05-26-09, 12:38 PM
LexFather

Look up the definition of "rice" before just throwing it out there. Its like people throwing the word "VIP" on everything nowadays.

Please list the "proven performance parts" on the IS300 & the EXTERIOR of the "F"
Lexus has told us the reasons and we have the data. You need to DISPROVE them with some quantifiable data before calling them rice.

Originally Posted by FKL
TRD body "accessories" have always looked like utter tasteless gargabe, if that's what your getting at...
Like the tasteless garbage offered on VWs today? Altezzas and wings etc? Shall I post pics? Painted stock calipers from the factory? Shall I go on?

Old 05-26-09, 12:53 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Look up the definition of "rice" before just throwing it out there. Its like people throwing the word "VIP" on everything nowadays.

Small white or brown grain grown in wet environment

Lexus has told us the reasons and we have the data. You need to DISPROVE them with some quantifiable data before calling them rice.

So can you list them?

Like the tasteless garbage offered on VWs today? Altezzas and wings etc? Shall I post pics? Painted stock calipers from the factory? Shall I go on?

So I guess this is a IS-F appreciation only thread now too
Old 05-26-09, 01:01 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna throw the 350Z in the mix as well. This car is also being riced out in so many places. Now that the 370Z is out, used 350Zs are definitely going to increase the rice crowd. Manufacturers won't care, all that matters is the volume that's coming out of the factory.
Old 05-26-09, 01:15 PM
LexFather

So I guess this is a IS-F appreciation only thread now too
I am not head over heels over the IS-F styling, but its not rice. Now if Lexus didn't make it look different and adventerous people would say "Lexus needs to make something look different and adventerous".

MI350_55, I have yet to see a 350Z riced out but who knows.

Old 05-26-09, 01:25 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps I should have specified Accords/Civics in my title rather than Hondas, but I thought I made the point pretty clear in my post.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Uh..... that's not a new Accord.
I stated newer models, as in relative to the generations being riced out. sorry for the confusion....

The point of my post, which I may not have expressed clearly, was that I expect the older generations of Accords and Civics to be riced out simply because the mods are cheap and the car is cheap. What I'm referring to with the newer models are the authentic parts. The reason one would buy crappy cheap parts would be because they probably can't afford better hence their cheap or passed down car. The newer models aren't cheap compared to the older ones, yet they're still being riced out when authentic parts are available.

Then again if we actually look up the definition of rice. It is Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. So technically, even a Lexus with an authentic Vertex body kit but no performance mods would be considered rice. THEREFORE, for the sake of this thread, rice will refer to CRAPPY, FAKE, race inspired cosmetic enhancement. Along the same lines that's why I wouldn't agree with the statement that the modded 350zs out there are riced. Sure they all have sporty kits that don't add HP but at least the majority have parts that are authentic and look good, and not held together by wire hangers and sporting 2x4 wood spoilers (you know what I'm talking about. lol).

Last edited by Hil; 05-26-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 01:43 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

I am not head over heels over the IS-F styling, but its not rice. Now if Lexus didn't make it look different and adventerous people would say "Lexus needs to make something look different and adventerous".

I agree with that, but I believe Lexus should have conducted focus groups of potential buyers of a $60,000+ hi-performance car. Instead of HIN shows.
Having worked with the marketing dept at the CA headquarters,& thier ad agency,I should not be surprised. It was a major letdown to not be able to buy my IS350 Black Sapphire with a black interior not to mention the fantastic driveline of the F

I have seen many 350Z's "riced out" but they all were capable of backing up the extreme look which justify's it somewhat
Old 05-26-09, 01:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCboy
Perhaps I should have specified Accords/Civics in my title rather than Hondas, but I thought I made the point pretty clear in my post.

I stated newer models, as in relative to the generations being riced out. sorry for the confusion....

The point of my post, which I may not have expressed clearly, was that I expect the older generations of Accords and Civics to be riced out simply because the mods are cheap and the car is cheap. What I'm referring to with the newer models are the authentic parts. The reason one would buy crappy cheap parts would be because they probably can't afford better hence their cheap or passed down car. The newer models aren't cheap compared to the older ones, yet they're still being riced out when authentic parts are available.

Then again if we actually look up the definition of rice. It is Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. So technically, even a Lexus with an authentic Vertex body kit but no performance mods would be considered rice. THEREFORE, for the sake of this thread, rice will refer to CRAPPY, FAKE, race inspired cosmetic enhancement. Along the same lines that's why I wouldn't agree with the statement that the modded 350zs out there are riced. Sure they all have sporty kits that don't add HP but at least the majority have parts that are authentic and look good, and not held together by wire hangers and sporting 2x4 wood spoilers (you know what I'm talking about. lol).

Thanks for that clarification & sorry for any drifting on my part.
A couple sayings come to mind:

Necessity is the mother of invention
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 05-26-09, 02:04 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCboy
why those owners would choose to build on such a mediocre platform only to produce shoddy results with cheap parts and cars that are held together by wire hangers.
done right, Civics can be fun. Accords used to be in the touring cars races, and the S2000 engine is derived from those IIRC.

but yeah, the "rice" is
Old 05-26-09, 03:23 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm so deathly afraid my friend is going to go rice.

he just picked up a 2003 Acura CL-S (6-speed!!!)... and he's amazed at the aftermarket support and the huge forums for Hondas (compared to his 98 Maxima)
Old 05-26-09, 03:30 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cmon Mike, you haven't seen this beauty yet?

More proof, just youtube "riced 350z". The first guy on there LOL. What a waste.

Quick Reply: Are Hondas forever doomed to be riced out?