Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Hondas forever doomed to be riced out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 12:29 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are Accords/Civics forever doomed to be riced out?

So as I'm sure all of you have seen in your lives, there are riced out cars all over the place. The majority of these being Honda Accords and Civics. I was always confused as to why those owners would choose to build on such a mediocre platform only to produce shoddy results with cheap parts and cars that are held together by wire hangers. I understand the fact that these cars are cheap to buy and reliable, and that the large amount of them allows for cheap modifications to become available. For some reason I thought this would be limited to just the older models and would not be seen with the newer models of Accords and Civics. But after seeing this today, I have a feeling the trend will not end no matter how modernized these vehicles may become.

Now I've seen my share of these newer Accords with decent mods which makes me at this..

The scoops scare me.... (sorry for the pic quality, phone)

List of mods from what I saw:
Carbon fiber hood with a huge scoop
17'' shoddy wheels
molded rear fender scoops (I have no idea what purpose these will serve for on this particular vehicle)
altezza taillights

I think these cars look nice and with a decent drop, nice wheels, and maybe a lip kit, they would look pretty clean. But I guess to each his own

Last edited by Hil; 05-26-09 at 01:40 PM. Reason: changed the title
Old 05-26-09, 01:17 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ummm not really i think...I mean there are always NSXes to redeem the brand, but the same type of ricedom also happens to other car models like the neon, some celicas, and others...so I'd say that some cars are doomed to be rice forever
Old 05-26-09, 01:31 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, at least it's the 3.0L V6. It would just be infinitely sad if it was the 4 banger.
Old 05-26-09, 01:32 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nope. lexus SC's are also doomed to be riced out.
Old 05-26-09, 05:50 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCboy
So as I'm sure all of you have seen in your lives, there are riced out cars all over the place. The majority of these being Honda Accords and Civics. I was always confused as to why those owners would choose to build on such a mediocre platform only to produce shoddy results with cheap parts and cars that are held together by wire hangers. I understand the fact that these cars are cheap to buy and reliable, and that the large amount of them allows for cheap modifications to become available.
Base on this, what would be a better platform for ricer ?

I believe it's certain car model will be rice out regardless of make. Honda they usually rice out the civic and accord. Toyota is usually the celica that I saw. Dodge is Neon. Lexus I saw some really bad rice out SCs. Acura it's the integra.

Reason you see alot of the civic and accord is because it's cheap and reliable and the aftermarket part are plentiful. Given the correct mods and such those could be pretty fast.
Old 05-26-09, 07:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still a majority are not rice-a-ronied-out.
Old 05-26-09, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SCboy
So as I'm sure all of you have seen in your lives, there are riced out cars all over the place. The majority of these being Honda Accords and Civics. I was always confused as to why those owners would choose to build on such a mediocre platform only to produce shoddy results with cheap parts and cars that are held together by wire hangers. I understand the fact that these cars are cheap to buy and reliable, and that the large amount of them allows for cheap modifications to become available. For some reason I thought this would be limited to just the older models and would not be seen with the newer models of Accords and Civics. But after seeing this today, I have a feeling the trend will not end no matter how modernized these vehicles may become.

Now I've seen my share of these newer Accords with decent mods which makes me at this..

The scoops scare me.... (sorry for the pic quality, phone)

List of mods from what I saw:
Carbon fiber hood with a huge scoop
17'' shoddy wheels
molded rear fender scoops (I have no idea what purpose these will serve for on this particular vehicle)
altezza taillights

I think these cars look nice and with a decent drop, nice wheels, and maybe a lip kit, they would look pretty clean. But I guess to each his own
They are, it is. Period. I will upload some of the pics I have from my iPhone. I might have no joke, over 100 riced out Hondas/Acuras in there. Sometimes I think its Atlanta, but then when I am not in Atlanta, I realize its them.

Big meets are full of them, most are awfully modded. I still don't know why the first thing added is an exhaust. IT SOUNDS HORRID!!! Then they drive like gotdamn animals on the road.

Just yesterday (I might still start a thread) I am driving in my neighborhood following the SPEED LIMIT and some gotdamn ricer Civic figures its nots fast enough and PASSES ME in the NEIGHERBORHOOD!!

For every clean NSX or rare clean Civic, there are 10,000 riced out or just crap modded ones. Its like NSX and S2000 owners are a different breed, I am still doing research to figure this out.

This local Atlanta forum started a "WTF" Section for cars seen in town that are "WTF". 90% are Honda/Acura.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...play.php?f=252

Do all brands have ricers? Yup. Are Hondas/Acuras by far the majority of ricers around? Yup.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-26-09 at 07:47 AM.

Old 05-26-09, 07:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Most cars will get riced out once they become cheap enough for the average teenagers. In socal, you will find nothing short of Lambo being riced out. Scions, Civics, Corollas, SC300/400, etc all fall within the same group. You mod your car to stand out, but here in socal standing out means leaving your car stock.
Old 05-26-09, 08:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most cars will get riced out once they become cheap enough for the average teenagers. In socal, you will find nothing short of Lambo being riced out. Scions, Civics, Corollas, SC300/400, etc all fall within the same group. You mod your car to stand out, but here in socal standing out means leaving your car stock.
Again, while every brand has riced out cars, only one is legendary for it and for a lot of people when you say "Honda" they instantly think "Rice". No other brand has that kind of stigma.
It is what it is. Even the Honda guys with sense admit this. When we are at a meet the 2 or 3 clean Honda guys I talk to are disgusted how the majority of Hondas are awfully done and it kills their image and what they are trying to do. The few clean Hondas are bunched in with the rice by people who don't know better. Then they move on to another brand b/c they don't want the association. We have seen it happen all the time.

It is what it is. Just as we can credit the Civic for helping breathe new life into the import scene in the 1990s.

Old 05-26-09, 08:13 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Uh..... that's not a new Accord.
Old 05-26-09, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is what it is. Just as we can credit the Civic for helping breathe new life into the import scene in the 1990s.
Agreed. The Civic was the car to have if you wanted to modify back in the days.

Everyone was a ricer at one point in their early life. Would you like to share your story with us Mike?
Old 05-26-09, 08:40 AM
zzang
Pole Position

Everyone was a ricer at one point in their early life. Would you like to share your story with us Mike?
Yeah. I agree. Everyone was a ricer back in the day but I don't think that Hondas are doomed to being riced out. I think it's the parts that are being offered to the Civics and etc but I am pretty sure there are some parts out there that won't make it look riced out.
Old 05-26-09, 08:50 AM
LexFather

LMFAO! My rice was limited to painting stock calipers red and having some knock-offs on the GS 400 in 2001. I had no idea. I'll never forget the ripping Manaray gave me in public and in PM . I remember putting white stickers in the back window of my GS but hell, I did have the parts.

I wanted a Civic EX coupe as a teen b/c it was affordable. I really wanted a Prelude Si, to me it reminded me of the Supra with the C-pillar shape. The dash was odd but there was tons of legroom for me. I also had a huge think for 4 door Integra GS-Rs.

Thing is I still would not have riced them out, they would have been tastefully modded.

Today, if its not a S2000 or NSX, no thanks

Old 05-26-09, 09:30 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see SC400s being donked out all the time, and now I'm just seeing 8th gen Civics and Accords getting the ghetto dub treatment.
Old 05-26-09, 09:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Again, while every brand has riced out cars, only one is legendary for it and for a lot of people when you say "Honda" they instantly think "Rice". No other brand has that kind of stigma.
I expect to see Honda rice in the supermarket soon...............

Quick Reply: Are Hondas forever doomed to be riced out?