Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Toyota to give hybrid technology to GM? Update, GM says not in discussions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

if it's using toyota technology, why does the ford fusion hybrid crush the camry hybrid in fuel economy?
Old 06-01-09, 10:12 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are looking at different battery chemistry where the battery comes from doesn't make quite as much of a difference. Certainly Panasonic had a huge lead on the type of cells required for automotive installations though.

Ford is using the Sanyo batteries. Do a search and you will see. (Here's one of many articles...)

As for why is it better a *lot* has to do with the software controlling the operational parameters (charging/discharging) of the battery. That is where Ford and GM have been learning the past several years. The software controls how quickly to allow the batteries to recharge, what temperature to keep them at, how to optimize things like A/C, regen braking, etc...
Old 06-02-09, 01:02 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Unless you are looking at different battery chemistry where the battery comes from doesn't make quite as much of a difference. Certainly Panasonic had a huge lead on the type of cells required for automotive installations though.
Here's the funny part though - Toyota, GM(in their 2-mode and Allison systems), and Honda use Panasonic EV traction battery packs. However, the units Panny supplies to Toyota and GM use prismatic cells that output 7.2V and use a gel electrolyte and one cell resembles a laptop battery. Each cell is connected to a bus bar.

The packs Panny supplies to Honda is much, much more crude - think of a old school cell phone or a power drill battery pack on a larger scale. The Honda units use up to 120 NiMH D-cells connected in serial in a plastic "carrier".
Old 06-20-09, 08:53 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM: We're Not in Discussions with Toyota on Licensing Their Synergy Drive

DETROIT — General Motors is not in current discussions with Toyota on licensing the Japanese automaker's hybrid synergy drive, said GM North America President Troy Clarke in a Web chat on the GM FastLane blog on Friday.

Clarke reaffirmed that the automaker is "still in discussions with Toyota on the JV [joint venture] and potential products." On Thursday, GM confirmed that the Pontiac Vibe production at the Fremont, California, NUMMI plant will end in August. The plant is a joint venture between Toyota and GM.

In a wide-ranging Web chat that was punctuated by comments from disgruntled customers and disgruntled GM dealers, Clarke also hinted at the future direction for Buick, one of the four surviving GM brands.

"I will tell you that you will be pleasantly surprised at the product lineup we have for the new Buick," Clarke said. "It will go places product-wise we haven't gone with Buick before."

He confirmed that GM is expected to name a U.S. site for the production of its unnamed future small car by the end of the month.

The high-ranking GM executive also admitted to a case of nerves as GM began its journey into bankruptcy court.

"Truthfully we are changing things faster than I have seen in my entire career," he wrote. "So fast that I will admit it made me nervous at first. What if we make a mistake? But the fact is we aren't making that many mistakes and we are becoming accustomed to the new pace."

Clarke took a pounding in the hour-long session from such consumers as Ron Hunter, who wrote: "I am upset with the New GM (Government Motors). I will never buy GM again. Probably Ford."

Clarke responded: "In all honesty the government support has been helpful in giving us a second chance. Now we need to convince customers to do the same."

Inside Line says: Apparently a GM sibling of the Toyota Prius or a GM hybrid with Toyota underpinnings is not in the cards. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Soruce: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=150906