Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 03:01 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this post went in a very interesting direction.

Reasons NOT to get and MB SL65 AMG.

1) SL55 AMG 99% of performance 99% of the looks, 1/2 the price.

IMO the SL is a work of art... I love them. Fifth gear gives you some ideas why you dont need the 63 or 65. The NA is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=800_LDqDgck

2) M6 convert 150% of performance and 2 times the exclusivity.

3) Bentley Continental GT I think this is quite a Footballers car, ie chick magnet. I think they are droping below 100k these days.
Old 05-26-09, 03:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't think an SL65 is more of a chick magnet than any SL class MB. I'd suggest buying an SL55 or SL600 instead - cheaper, just as quick, and equally appealing to women.
I didn't want to say it, glad you did. You are 100% correct. A Benz SL is a SL. Most ladies won't know the difference between a 350 (Europe) 500, 550, 55 or 65, let alone a S500 with the AMG kit.

If he wants to impress the ladies, he is going to have to go Italian....can't go wrong with a 911 (Porsche)....I would even say more a XKR Shaguar....Jaguar.

Thats my bag baby yeah!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-09, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I didn't want to say it, glad you did. You are 100% correct. A Benz SL is a SL. Most ladies won't know the difference between a 350 (Europe) 500, 550, 55 or 65, let alone a S500 with the AMG kit.

If he wants to impress the ladies, he is going to have to go Italian....can't go wrong with a 911 (Porsche)....I would even say more a XKR Shaguar....Jaguar.

true, little would know what sl65 is over sl500

a 2 yr old sl65, how much are they going for? 90k? for 90k i would probably get something else as chick magnet too, maybe 911 turbo or even a maserati. i wonder how much a used aston martin is
Old 05-26-09, 04:02 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Works for me!
Attached Thumbnails Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?-155.jpg  
Old 05-26-09, 04:02 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It depends on what your friend really wants.

If he's simply looking for a chick magnet as you stated, then any Mercedes SL/CL/S class would do. Most of my female friends refer to Mercedes by their class and they will never know that you've spent $xxx more for a SL65 instead of the standard SL500. He may as well as save the additional money buying chicks purses, dinners, and what not (you get the idea...).

If your friend truly wants something powerful for himself or wants something to mess with Corvette or Ferrari owners, then the 65 will be tough to beat.

The general rule of thumb for me is that when you buy something is this caliber, always make sure you have enough money to not just buy it, but to maintain it as well. Even if the car comes with 100% coverage warranty, a 65 will go through numerous sets of rear tires in no time like NASCARs do. If your friend is the type of those who always have a few thousand dollars of shake down money in his wallet, then he's good to go.

The bottom line is, if your friend doesn't make more than $200k per year, I would kindly talk him out of it and ask him to look for something that's less expensive to keep and maintain.

Jon
Old 05-26-09, 04:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ yup you gotta be a baller to drive SL65
Old 05-26-09, 04:13 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It's got to be a convertible so, that takes the Maserati out of the picture.

As for the convertible part, he wants a hard-top convertible so, that REALLY narrows the field down.

If it was between the SL55 and the SL65...I'm betting he'd have a hard time buying the "cheaper" car. Right or wrong, he's one of those people that doesn't like getting the "second-best" item...of anything.

Also, even if we take the "convertible" part out of the equation...putting the Aston Martin or Maserati back in the picture...it's got to be a daily-driver. It's not going to be a weekend, only-on-sunny-days kind of car. It's got to be comfortable and luxurious enough for him to get in it and drive 8 hours to his parents place (he has to show it off to his home-town friends). He's got to be able to leave it in the parking lot of Applebee's and know it'll be there, unmolested when he comes out (There are some places I WON'T park my SC430...and it's (now) a 6 year-old $25K car).

And, personally, I don't quite get the Porsche 911 (I know, I know...flame on). To me, you have to be a graduate of Stuttgart U to tell one from another. I was out riding my bike the other day and rode passed a 911 parked in someone's driveway. I couldn't tell you +/- 15 years when it was made. I'm all for "timeless design" but, like I said, I just don't get it. Unless you're a Porsche enthusiast, it's very hard to tell an $80K 911 from a $180K Porsche. I'm not saying the 2009 Porsche 911 GT92 Spec RD-9...or whatever they're currently calling it, isn't mind-bogglingly fast...it is!! But, he's not a speed freak. He's not even really that much of a car-nut.

I've always felt the SL65 AMG has that "Damn!" look to it, even if you don't know precisely what it is...you know it's something special.
Old 05-26-09, 04:16 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

If he wants to impress the ladies, he is going to have to go Italian..can't go wrong with a 911 (Porsche)....I would even say more a XKR Shaguar....Jaguar.

Luckily im Italian!
lol
anyways,
Couldnt agree more..
They wont know the difference and more money to mod..
Old 05-26-09, 04:17 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
The bottom line is, if your friend doesn't make more than $200k per year, I would kindly talk him out of it and ask him to look for something that's less expensive to keep and maintain.

Jon
He makes some damn good bank...and he's got basically no expenses...and NO debt.

He can afford to buy it...and to maintain it.

Could he? Yes. Should he? I don't know. As you and others have said, it's a helluva car. Not the most practical mode of transportation on the planet but, you only go around once.

And, FYI, I'm trying to talk him INTO it.
Old 05-26-09, 04:31 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

I am glad your friend is in the position to buy such a car. More power to him.

Here's the problem. You mentioned that he's also the type who wouldn't settle for something that's 2nd best. Well for now the SL65 is indeed, the second best production car (may be even only third best if you take the SLR into account) from Mercedes since they've released the Black Series. Also, unless he's buying a brand new car, the SL class has just had a face lift for the 2009 model year. It may also have a new re-design in the near future. So, there goes the wow factor.

Don't get me wrong, the SL65 is a fantastic car. But think of it this way, in the look department the SL55 can fill in the role. Or in terms of performance, a simple ECU reflash will have any SL600 either murder or be equal to the 65 in terms of performance. Either way, your friend is going to save a fortune in terms of the cost of the car itself and potential maintenance cost.

No matter how much money your friend has, I am pretty sure everyone's going to appreciate the extra room for more cash nowadays.

Jon

Originally Posted by Habious
He makes some damn good bank...and he's got basically no expenses...and NO debt.

He can afford to buy it...and to maintain it.

Could he? Yes. Should he? I don't know. As you and others have said, it's a helluva car. Not the most practical mode of transportation on the planet but, you only go around once.

And, FYI, I'm trying to talk him INTO it.
Old 05-26-09, 04:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Maserati is VERY reliable, top 3 in class......................for getting you ***, if thats what the OP's friend wants
that's what I heard too but wasn't sure.

. It's not going to be a weekend, only-on-sunny-days kind of car. It's got to be comfortable and luxurious enough for him to get in it and drive 8 hours to his parents place (he has to show it off to his home-town friends). He's got to be able to leave it in the parking lot of Applebee's and know it'll be there, unmolested when he comes out (There are some places I WON'T park my SC430...and it's (now) a 6 year-old $25K car).
i was going to say Audi R8 (but no convertible yet) ...but almost any car with the "wow factor" will attract people in that price range.
Old 05-26-09, 04:52 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to go for a diffrent take on this, first he should get a mercedes benz SL, the question is which one? Anything with the magic words AMG on it, is tuned more for the racetrack, so what I have read the suspension is much harder then the normal models, and might not be suitable for a eight hour trip and day in and out daily driver duty. Further the 65 AMG is twin turbocharged and produces insane amounts of torque, so very quick instant accerlation that might catch him by suprise, some can't handle this ,Lindsy Lohan crashed a SL 65 AMG twice! The SL 55 is supercharged and again is very fast, also keep in mind supercharged and turbocharged cars can wear more quickly. Lastly about AMGs, they can cause unwanted attention, like having idiots try to race or scratch the car in the parking lot. I think he should go for the SL600, that from 2003 onwards has the twin turbocharged engine, and has about 90% of the 65 AMG's ability, but has a much softer suspension, good for long journeys, and will be left alone in a parking lot, viewed as just another mercedes, only a very small decklid badge gives the game away, where on a AMG there is a body kit, wheels etc.. So the SL600 should be his choice.
Old 05-26-09, 05:02 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I'm going to go for a diffrent take on this, first he should get a mercedes benz SL, the question is which one? Anything with the magic words AMG on it, is tuned more for the racetrack, so what I have read the suspension is much harder then the normal models, and might not be suitable for a eight hour trip and day in and out daily driver duty. Further the 65 AMG is twin turbocharged and produces insane amounts of torque, so very quick instant accerlation that might catch him by suprise, some can't handle this ,Lindsy Lohan crashed a SL 65 AMG twice! The SL 55 is supercharged and again is very fast, also keep in mind supercharged and turbocharged cars can wear more quickly. Lastly about AMGs, they can cause unwanted attention, like having idiots try to race or scratch the car in the parking lot. I think he should go for the SL600, that from 2003 onwards has the twin turbocharged engine, and has about 90% of the 65 AMG's ability, but has a much softer suspension, good for long journeys, and will be left alone in a parking lot, viewed as just another mercedes, only a very small decklid badge gives the game away, where on a AMG there is a body kit, wheels etc.. So the SL600 should be his choice.

SL600 has a V-12 engine & is the top of the line Luxury model SL65 is a AMG & adds twin turbos
Old 05-26-09, 05:08 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Actually, the standard 2003+ 600 already had twin turbos from the factory. With an ECU reflash, it'll be just as quick, if not quicker than the 65.

Jon

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
SL600 has a V-12 engine & is the top of the line Luxury model SL65 is a AMG & adds twin turbos
Old 05-26-09, 05:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I don't think an SL65 is more of a chick magnet than any SL class MB. I'd suggest buying an SL55 or SL600 instead - cheaper, just as quick, and equally appealing to women.
On that related topic of chick magnet cars, let's let the ladies chime-in on what they consider to be a hot car, and I think they have very good taste. I know they do pay attention.

Quick Reply: Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?