Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 11:16 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?

I have a friend (no, really, it's a friend...not me) who's looking at getting a new(er) car.

He wants something fun...he wants something a bit exciting...he likes convertibles...and it needs to be a total chick-magnet.

He likes my SC430, but he (correctly) feels it's seriously lacking in the technology department.

My suggestion to him was a 1-2 year-old Mercedes SL65 AMG. I've always loved these cars. No lack of technology here (the windshield washer fluid is heated, for god's sake!). It's certainly fun/exciting. And, even the dumbest blonde would know that this car is really something special just by looking at it.

The first and second year depreciation on these cars is INSANE so, I think he should take advantage of that. For a little more than the price of a new SC430, he could pick up an '06 or '07.

This car will be his daily driver so, used Lamborghini's or Ferrari's are out (it's got to be reasonably reliable and somewhat reasonable to maintain).

If anyone has specific knowledge about why he shouldn't consider this car, I'd love to hear about it (I'm hoping to avoid the "I've heard they're really unreliable" kind of thing - I've "heard" that about Mercedes too but, don't really have any proof of it).
Old 05-26-09, 11:25 AM
LexFather

Get it and don't look back. Its rare, special and built like a tank. We all know the usual Benz maintenance for this car will cost, it is a rare AMG 65 model. I have not heard/read of big/huge failures. Also try MBWorld.org

Old 05-26-09, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would say make sure get cpo or extended warranty. with the car being 2 yrs old, warranty probably another 2 yr max. your friend would NOT want to see repair bill after that
Old 05-26-09, 11:57 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The power of a Bi Turbo V12 makes want to kill kittens somtimes.
Old 05-26-09, 12:08 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The SL AMG is a fantastic car very easy to drive Very fast. AMG drivelines are as bulletproof as any. I would only ad that if the chick-magnetness is a top priorty, the SL's demographic is 40+ golddiggers. Perhaps he would prefer a younger more athletic appeal such as a Turbo 911 with it's standard full leather interior
Old 05-26-09, 12:09 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice that AMG is an amazing vehicle, make sure he also checks out th newe Maserati GT, that would be my choice, dont get me wrong the SL65 is fantastic, but if it were me id get the maserati, sure its not as fast powerwise but interms of sex appeal; aurally and visually its amazing. Its Ferrari in a suite. Hell it even has a ferrari sourced engine, beautifully appointed interior, sexy pinnafarina exterior design, cant go wrong with that car.

Edit: Dammit forgot about convertible
Wat about an Aston?

Last edited by ndk83; 05-26-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 12:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it's not the Black series, it's not a chick magnet
Old 05-26-09, 12:27 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heated washer fluid is OLD "technology". My 18yr old Merc has that feature.

Damn, i didn't know it's that expensive to get a chick now a day...Luckily I am married.
Old 05-26-09, 12:52 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
Damn, i didn't know it's that expensive to get a chick now a day...Luckily I am married.
well you know how it is...cost of living goes up, they gotta have the latest LV bag, manicures, pedicures, facials, designer outfits, etc, etc...the only way they can maintain their lifestyle is to get a guy rolling in money!
Old 05-26-09, 01:03 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
well you know how it is...cost of living goes up, they gotta have the latest LV bag, manicures, pedicures, facials, designer outfits, etc, etc...the only way they can maintain their lifestyle is to get a guy rolling in money!
That's why I say if you are shopping for a chick-magnet think about what you want it to attract
Old 05-26-09, 01:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I would only ad that if the chick-magnetness is a top priorty, the SL's demographic is 40+ golddiggers.
Right up my alley.. No 20 yr old kids for me The prices on these cars now are incredible. Tell your buddy to get the SL65!
Old 05-26-09, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

40+ golddiggers is hitting milf territory...i don't know about you guys, but i like em a little younger than that (25-35 is perfect)! 40+ golddiggers gonna cost you more money...botox, liposuction, plastic surgery...they have to spend more to fend off the younger, good looking golddiggers LOL!
Old 05-26-09, 01:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
That's why I say if you are shopping for a chick-magnet think about what you want it to attract
yup, you're right about that!
Old 05-26-09, 01:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i don't know why people like the LV's.

they're dookie color, and their patterns NEVER match anything you're wearing.

Old 05-26-09, 01:26 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

get a honda civic and slap some stickers... you'll attract the younger clueless crowd. - Don't forget the exhaust...it has to be bigger than the car itself.

SL65 ...go for it!

Quick Reply: Reasons NOT to get an MB SL65 AMG?