Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My monthly rant on why C&D is toilet paper for goats.....I just got this text..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not a pillow-soft ride (few car are, nowadays), but an excellent combination of ride and handling.....one of the best I've seen.
i can see using "a good balanced firm ride", but really not sure about "comfortable ride" (if that's the wording they use)
Old 05-27-09, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i can see using "a good balanced firm ride", but really not sure about "comfortable ride" (if that's the wording they use)
Your M3's ride is significantly stiffer than a 335i, even with the 335's Sport package. That was one of the things I first noticed when I drove the 2 cars.

But, still, with the typically excellent BMW chassis engineering, the M3 is not excessively stiff for the amount of handling and steering response provided.
Old 05-27-09, 10:19 AM
LexFather

Look, I expect C&D to get teabagged by Honda and BMW. They have for decades, that is fine. This is about the fact they can't even send an unbiased text out about a Lexus product. The HS is not a freaking entry level sport sedan, that is what the IS is for. Every hybrid outside the GS is not for sport or fun and the GS ain't no olympic medal winning gymnist. People can crap all over the HS all they want, the CLOSEST car to its city rating is the 335d which gets 23 city. It also costs 50k base.

I don't expect any mag to drool over the HS, its more ES than IS and its a Lexus. However from initial reviews from everyone else, its a techno marvel that gets the job done with a **** poor exterior.

I need to start my own magazine.

Old 05-27-09, 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

It's not a pillow-soft ride (few car are, nowadays), but an excellent combination of ride and handling.....one of the best I've seen.
As far as small German car is concerned, the 3 series has a excellent combination of handling and handling The ride is stiff, it ok over small bumps but by no mean comfortable. The A4 is actully the best combination of ride and handling of the big 3 from Germany. The C-class is the most comfortable. I am not counting any sport package, M series, S or RS series or AMGs here.

Last edited by The G Man; 05-28-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Don't we all.
Old 05-27-09, 10:43 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact remains, the 320d in Europe gets better mileage (41mpg US cycle). The a3 2.0tdi gets better mileage. May not have a the new nav system, but they both prove this is a false tradeoff.
Old 05-27-09, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
The fact remains, the 320d in Europe gets better mileage (41mpg US cycle). The a3 2.0tdi gets better mileage. May not have a the new nav system, but they both prove this is a false tradeoff.
Look everyone, its Car and Driver, Euro edition!

Old 05-27-09, 10:53 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^So you I take it you agree?
Old 05-27-09, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look, I expect C&D to get teabagged by Honda and BMW. They have for decades, that is fine.
In all honesty (and I try to be as objective as they come), it's hard not to get teabagged by Honda's build quality and BMW's chassis engineering.

However, teabags (as you and I will both agree) are not limited to Honda and BMW by any means. Subaru teabags with its build quality and efficient AWD systems (as I found out). Lexus and Toyota teabag with quietness, powertrain smoothness and refinement, and mirror-like paint jobs. Hyundai teabags with value. The Acura RL teabags with its tank-like build solidness. Mercedes and Volvo teabag with safety features and crash-worthiness. Audi teabags with interior trim. There are, of course, many other examples.

Stay here. We need people like you.
Old 05-27-09, 12:46 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

In all honesty (and I try to be as objective as they come), it's hard not to get teabagged by Honda's build quality and BMW's chassis engineering.

However, teabags (as you and I will both agree) are not limited to Honda and BMW by any means. Subaru teabags with its build quality and efficient AWD systems (as I found out). Lexus and Toyota teabag with quietness, powertrain smoothness and refinement, and mirror-like paint jobs. Hyundai teabags with value. The Acura RL teabags with its tank-like build solidness. Mercedes and Volvo teabag with safety features and crash-worthiness. Audi teabags with interior trim. There are, of course, many other examples.
Thats all fine and dandy, but must BMW win every comparo in car and driver. It does get old after a while, there is no point in reading the magazine anymore since you know that every comparo is going to be won by BMW. Honestly, if BMW was that good, then Lexus, MB and Audi should just close their operation in the US because they have no chance in hell. The truth is, BMW is not as good as C&D say they are, BMW may excel in handling, but it lacks in many many areas. If you buy a car just to speed up and down a rally track, then BMW is the perfect car, but if it is for a daily commute, there are many other cars that are better balance when it comes to other qualites that car buyers look for in a car.
Old 05-27-09, 12:51 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^well said G Man.

C&D just puts a lot of emphasis on the way the car drives in this class. In midsized sedans, they are actyally not fans of the 8th gen Accord. They rated Passat as #1, Accord #4.
Old 05-27-09, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thats all fine and dandy, but must BMW win every comparo in car and driver. It does get old after a while, there is no point in reading the magazine anymore since you know that every comparo is going to be won by BMW. Honestly, if BMW was that good, then Lexus, MB and Audi should just close their operation in the US because they have no chance in hell. The truth is, BMW is not as good as C&D say they are, BMW may excel in handling, but it lacks in many many areas. If you buy a car just to speed up and down a rally track, then BMW is the perfect car, but if it is for a daily commute, there are many other cars that are better balance when it comes to other qualites that car buyers look for in a car.
You guys make it sound like it's the 300 Spartans against the half-million Persian army. Most C&D comparisons....and others in similiar magazines like Road & Track.....are won or lost by a comparably few points. We're not talking about blowouts here......BMW or otherwise. The magazines award points in a number of areas, both static and performance-related, and the car that amasses the most total points overall wins. But then (at least in R&T) the testers all vote for their indivual preference vehicle as well....which doesn't always agree with the overall winner.
Old 05-27-09, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
In the current issue C&D tested 2 seater convertible sports cars and the BMW Z4 came in second behind the Boxster and just ahead of Audi TTS.

In the same issue they tested luxury CUV's and BMW X3 came in second WAY behind the Audi Q5 and just ahead of the Volvo XC60.

So they don't automatically wind every comparo. Just quite a few of them.
Old 05-27-09, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I sent them a nast letter for their back fires section after the morons actually printed that an M3 would "dispatch" a Nissan GTR. This is a blatant lie. Especially considering that in a track comparison they did 4 months earlier shows the M3 to be way behind the GTR in every single comparison on the track, and had a faster sector time in every single sector of the track.

How can they say they are not biased???? I proved them wrong and I will never subscribe to this hack magazine again. Road & Track is the best in my opinion.
Old 05-28-09, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You guys make it sound like it's the 300 Spartans against the half-million Persian army. Most C&D comparisons....and others in similiar magazines like Road & Track.....are won or lost by a comparably few points. We're not talking about blowouts here......BMW or otherwise. The magazines award points in a number of areas, both static and performance-related, and the car that amasses the most total points overall wins. But then (at least in R&T) the testers all vote for their indivual preference vehicle as well....which doesn't always agree with the overall winner.
Come on mmarshall, if you line up a 535, an A6, E350 and a GS350 in front of a race track, of course the tester is going to vote for the BMW. How about having them drive those cars in NY city rush hours and having to deal with the repairs for 4 years and then see which car they would pick. How about having the tester sit in those interior and controls for a 24 months test period and see which car comes out on top. How about the tester driving thru a test course full of pot holes and see which suspension they prefer. These are all real life driving situations, driving on a race track is not my daily commute.

Quick Reply: My monthly rant on why C&D is toilet paper for goats.....I just got this text..