Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My monthly rant on why C&D is toilet paper for goats.....I just got this text..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Just finished reading the writeup on the LFA in the new C&D...... It's positive.
Old 10-27-09, 08:41 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Even on non car forums people are talking about LFA!
They were also talking about the GTR, and ZR1 as well when they were released
Old 10-28-09, 12:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its the lowest of the low in the auto publication world. Its very biased.

In there defense the new HS seems no more exciting than a prius.

I still remember when I posted because I was pissed off that the morons at this 2nd rate magazine actually said that the " M3 can dispatch the GTR" .

#1 BS
#2 they published a huge track article 4 months before they published this total lie that showed that the GTR destroyed the M3 in every category they measured. They are morons and liars

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-28-09 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-28-09, 09:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also prefer R&T over C&D and read both. I don't get too hung-up on the comparo subjective ratings/rankings of any magazine, I reach my own conclusions based on my own requirements, needs, planned usage and taste.
Old 10-28-09, 02:40 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I didn't sign up then. I find it interesting they are texting me about vehicles no one is talking about and omits one that WOULD garner peoples interest.

Again, the reasoning was C&D likes enthusiast cars. So here is a SUPER enthusiast car and I get some news about an Infiniti Leaf electric car that may come?
Ya, but to most individuals a $375k Lexus isnt that intresting... Most people in this economy cant affford it. It would only garner intrest to people who are looking to spend that much on a car. Why not make choices for what kind of texts you can recieve? If you want supercar/exotic car texts you can choose normal everyday car new also... would make it a lot easier.
Old 10-28-09, 02:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car mags tend to focus way too much on performance even w/ cars where it doesn't really matter. I was just reading the Edmunds article on the new Taurus vs Accord. From the standpoint of comfort and feature content the Taurus destroyed the Accord. For the average family the Taurus was the clear choice. And yet they kept focusing on 0-60 times and slalom speeds where the Accord had a very small edge and that seemed to be the focus of 50% of the article.

If you're buying a Ford Taurus and you're concerned about 5 tenths of a second to 60 vs the Accord, you're shopping in the wrong category or else you need to be buying the SHO, which is NOT the Taurus model they were testing.
Old 10-28-09, 06:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Road & Track is the best selling and the oldest automotive publication. Its like that for a good reason. Car & Driver is a 2nd rate magazine that lies. I sent them a letter to chew them out about the GTR BS they published as well as to tell them to remember that they are teaching and informing the enthusiasts of the future and that they have a responsibility to keep things accurate and unbiased..

They suck
Old 10-28-09, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Got my FREE issues of Motor Trend and Car and Driver. No mention of the LFA on the cover. I was shocked to see the internet posted articles they have in the mag on the LFA there.

Old 10-28-09, 06:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Road & Track is the best selling and the oldest automotive publication. Its like that for a good reason. Car & Driver is a 2nd rate magazine that lies. I sent them a letter to chew them out about the GTR BS they published as well as to tell them to remember that they are teaching and informing the enthusiasts of the future and that they have a responsibility to keep things accurate and unbiased..

They suck
Car mag circulation #'s in order are C&D, MT and R&T.
Old 10-29-09, 04:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
First of all take a look at you own picture that you've posted. Look at the grain of that leather (or fake leather). It looks commercial quality, and does not compare to Lexus smooth leather. It also gets dirty fast because of the grain, and its impossible to clean.
So let me get this straight.

Grainy leather = cheap

Smooth leather = expensive

Is that a fact?

You should probably add that this is your opinion because many people will disagree with you. I really don't see how smooth leather can classified as being more upscale than grainy leather just because its surface is smoother.

You do know that these car companies have departments that test different materials for the cabins of their vehicles. Maybe, just maybe, the consensus was that smooth leather just didn't suit the character or appearance of the BMW 3 series cabin.

Originally Posted by Och
Then look how the speaker and door handle trim are just separate pieces slapped on in the middle of leather trim. Looks awfuly cheap, and creates gaps that attract dirt. Lexus always puts controls onto solid panel, and leather trim is separate.
There are a million similar places in the current Lexus IS that fit your description of the "poor quality BMW 3er interior".

"Cheap" is such a strong word. It is totally not befitting for the 3er cabin. BMW interiors have generally been spartan and functional in appearance. Not cheap.

Let's be honest here. Every interior in this class is of a high quality standard including the 3 series. Then again if you feel that way about the 3 series cabin it is your opinion. I can't change your mind.

Originally Posted by Och
I test drove the 335, and I loved the way it drove... and I would've probably leased one if the interior wasn't so disappointing.
I have a hard time believing people will turn down a car just because the interior is disappointing. Especially since the 335i cabin shown there looks very nice. There is build quality and material quality clearly visible in that photo.

Last edited by DustinV; 10-29-09 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-29-09, 09:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the magazines are so bad, why continue to look at them & read them? Nothing beats driving the cars that adorn the covers of magazines.. If you want to drive super cars, you can by forking up $1495.00 & signing up for the World Class Driving Tour http://worldclassdriving.com/events/experienced
Old 10-29-09, 09:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW as somebody who's had a 2007 335i for the last 2 years, I think the 3-series interior is currently worst in class for materials quality and build quality. I found the interior on my car to be very uninviting, full of hard plastics, and prone to quite a bit of rattling. The only car I find possible equally cheap is the C-class. The IS, A4, G37, CTS, and MKZ all have materials that range from somewhat to dramatically higher quality, they're less prone to rattling, most of them are quieter inside, and IMO are more inviting.

I didn't get the 335i for the interior... I put up with the interior to get the driving experience which was second to none of those cars. If I were buying I'd have been less concerned about driving experience and more concerned about the interior. Basically I treated my 335i like a red headed step child because that's how I viewed it.

I also recently sat in a 5-series at the dealership and found it to be not that much better considering it's meant to compete with cars like the Infiniti M, Lexus GS, E-class, etc. All those cars are considerably nicer inside IMO. In fact I found the ~2000 5-series interior to have a considerably more 'solid' feel to it than the 2010. The materials and design just felt much more substantial.

I sat in a the brand new generation of 7 series a couple days ago and while it was very nice, again, for a 100k dollar car it just didn't seem acceptible to me.

IMO BMW has its niche... and that's people that care more about driving than about the quality of their interior. Nothing wrong with that... but some people still refuse to accept it.
Old 10-29-09, 09:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
FWIW as somebody who's had a 2007 335i for the last 2 years, I think the 3-series interior is currently worst in class for materials quality and build quality. I found the interior on my car to be very uninviting, full of hard plastics, and prone to quite a bit of rattling. The only car I find possible equally cheap is the C-class. The IS, A4, G37, CTS, and MKZ all have materials that range from somewhat to dramatically higher quality, they're less prone to rattling, most of them are quieter inside, and IMO are more inviting.

I didn't get the 335i for the interior... I put up with the interior to get the driving experience which was second to none of those cars. If I were buying I'd have been less concerned about driving experience and more concerned about the interior. Basically I treated my 335i like a red headed step child because that's how I viewed it.

I also recently sat in a 5-series at the dealership and found it to be not that much better considering it's meant to compete with cars like the Infiniti M, Lexus GS, E-class, etc. All those cars are considerably nicer inside IMO. In fact I found the ~2000 5-series interior to have a considerably more 'solid' feel to it than the 2010. The materials and design just felt much more substantial.

I sat in a the brand new generation of 7 series a couple days ago and while it was very nice, again, for a 100k dollar car it just didn't seem acceptible to me.

IMO BMW has its niche... and that's people that care more about driving than about the quality of their interior. Nothing wrong with that... but some people still refuse to accept it.
Well, i've been the owner of a 335 twice over & I disagree with your post about it being cheap & rattle prone. Well, maybe the rattles are do to you mashing up your car in an accident?? I would be upset too.. Well, there have been many updates for 09 when it comes to the trim & equipment. The dash material is not hard plastic nor was it ever for the 07's.. Touch the interior of your car again buddy.

The leather in the 3 is vat-dyed & not spray painted on.. Which process is cheaper process you think?

Automobile leather is either vat-dyed or a spray-on dye is used.
a) Vat-dyed colour is obtained by immersing the hide in dye, ensuring that the dye permeates through the hide.
b) With spray-on the dye is painted on the surface of the hide, it produces an even colour but the natural grain and looks of the hide is hidden as well as the hide's longevity being compromised.
This is also the least expensive way of applying a leather dye (used mainly by both American and Japanese car manufactures) European vehicles are usually upholstered with vat-dyed leather.http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...l-leather.html
Opinions will always vary right?
Old 10-29-09, 09:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
The only car I find possible equally cheap is the C-class.

As a former W204 C class driver I have to disagree.

The cabin might not be flashy in overall appearance but the build and material quality is definitely there. What best describes the C class interior is the word "conservative". The styling is nothing too dramatic either, but again, the quality is there and the materials feels and appear upscale too.

I find the C class interior (as well as the 3er) to be completely on par with their competitors. Audi interiors are great but heavily overrated: as are Lexus dashboards, too. My sister back in the US drives an IS250. I've found the dashboard to be well-constructed and the materials to be good, but hardly better than those used by the competition.
Old 10-29-09, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Bump for relevancy : Mind you the text keep coming. I got one about the Infiniti Leaf DRAWING I believe.....Nothing on any Lexus, ever.....

C&D stealing artists work
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ghlight=driver

C&D editor bashing Lexus

C&D photo faked

Last edited by LexFather; 10-02-10 at 06:46 PM.