Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus Make a Hybrid Variant of Entire Model Lineup?(Updated, Lexus says YES)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 02:49 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

agreed, i dont think lexus will be making high performance hybrids anytime soon. and ES hybrid would make sense in terms of vehicle shell, but probably not by placement. If they truly will make all vehicles hybrid, id like to think the new GX will be made into a hybrid. that will allow for a full generation hybrid, instead of an already aging ES or IS
Old 06-01-09, 04:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or make the ES hybrid with 3.0 V6 and call it ES400h and make it AWD
Old 06-01-09, 07:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed, i dont think lexus will be making high performance hybrids anytime soon.
The GS, RX, and LS hybrids are the highest performers for each model.

Originally Posted by xioix
Or make the ES hybrid with 3.0 V6 and call it ES400h and make it AWD
Im fine with that. However, I think ES buyers would benefit more from less power and better fuel economy.
Old 06-01-09, 07:26 PM
RXSF

The GS, RX, and LS hybrids are the highest performers for each model
i meant from now on
Old 06-01-09, 09:00 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The GS, RX, and LS hybrids are the highest performers for each model.

Im fine with that. However, I think ES buyers would benefit more from less power and better fuel economy.
2.7 from the Venza should be fine
Old 06-01-09, 09:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think the question becomes, can Toyota replicate the kind of economy that the Fusion achieves. It really makes buying a hybrid worthwhile. A GSh, for example, that gets 25 MPG City would be really fantastic.
Old 06-01-09, 10:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Except in Japan, where HSD is mated to a turbo diesel engine and being used in trucks and small moving trucks
Are you referring to th Hino diesel-hybrid trucks?
Old 06-02-09, 05:37 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Are you referring to th Hino diesel-hybrid trucks?
Yes I am
Old 06-07-09, 03:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I am
Ahh.. I thought they were using the mild hybrid system on the Crown. Didn't know they were using HSD. If that's the case, then Toyota has cracked the code, right? I recall them saying a year or two prior about issues creating a Tundra Hybrid.
Old 09-13-10, 04:50 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Promise

Lexus, Toyota's luxury division, made an important announcement from Japan today that the luxury brand will begin to introduce a hybrid version of every existing model with their next respective full model refresh.

As Toyota and Lexus both look to repair their image following the multi-million vehicle recalls of earlier this year, Lexus has vowed to make changes that will on 1 hand help to make the brand more competitive with BMW and Mercedes-Benz in terms of sport appeal, and on the other hand to help differentiate the brand as having a unique appeal.

To achieve this, Kiyotaka Ise, Toyota's managing officer in charge of Lexus development, told Automotive News that Lexus will start to more heavily utilize hybrid technology across its model lineup in order to give the luxury brand a unique advantage over its German rivals. "We want to introduce it [a hybrid option] with each new model change," said Ise. "Compared to Mercedes or BMW, hybrid technology is a key application in the Lexus. That's the most easily understood difference in the brands."

Seemingly opposing Lexus' pledge to turn heavily to hybrid technology in the future, the brand also seeks to move away from the image of being purely about ride comfort and luxury, and more about driver appeal through the addition of more sport-minded characteristics. "Until now, Lexus has been about calm, stable luxury," Ise told Automotive News. "From now on it will be more about agility and response, really feeling the braking and acceleration."

Ise went on to explain that they will achieve this image transformation by tweaking vehicle powertrains and suspension configurations to appeal to drivers seeking a sportier feel.
Old 09-13-10, 05:01 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty much all Lexus models, should have a hybrid in its line up by the next generation. The GX and LX will probably be the last ones to get hybrids.
Old 09-13-10, 05:52 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm such a genius...
Old 09-13-10, 08:21 PM
RXSF

so that means an IS hybrid in 20 years? lol Wonder how small the trunk will be. LI ion battery perhaps?
Old 09-13-10, 10:37 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm thinking:

ES 450h
IS 450h
SC 450h

GX 500h
LX 600h

Already existing:

CT 200h
HS 250h
GS 450h
LS 600/600h L

RX 450h
Old 09-13-10, 10:51 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
Pretty much all Lexus models, should have a hybrid in its line up by the next generation. The GX and LX will probably be the last ones to get hybrids.
I don't see how a hybrid would work in models like the LX570. For example, it weights just about three tons as already is and the additional hybrid components will undoubtedly add several hundred pounds to the heavy chassis. Until Lexus improves the packaging and get significant mileage gains from a LX hybrid I just don't see justification in the LX getting a hybrid powertrain.

Quick Reply: Will Lexus Make a Hybrid Variant of Entire Model Lineup?(Updated, Lexus says YES)