Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Lexus Make a Hybrid Variant of Entire Model Lineup?(Updated, Lexus says YES)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 11:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm thinking:

ES 450h
IS 450h
SC 450h

GX 500h
LX 600h

Already existing:

CT 200h
HS 250h
GS 450h
LS 600/600h L

RX 450h

Im guessing the Prius engine goes into the IS and the new 2.5 liter (or the current camry/HS powertrain) goes into the ES

IS200H and ES300H
Old 09-14-10, 12:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I have heard magazines says a hybrid ES is next. But no one has mentioned anything about the IS. Although I'd say it's highly likely both models with be redesigned with hybrid options.
P.S. Never believe what a dealership tells you. We know more than they do. ; )
Old 09-14-10, 03:38 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have heard magazines says a hybrid ES is next. But no one has mentioned anything about the IS. Although I'd say it's highly likely both models with be redesigned with hybrid options.
P.S. Never believe what a dealership tells you. We know more than they do. ; )
The ES is next I heard about that a while back. I recall it will be a 4 cylinder with hybrid probably the Camry setup will go in there. "Never believe what a dealership tells you" depends on WHO is there that day I posted news that was told to me at a dealership once then the gentleman suddenly shutup when he realized my interest.
Old 09-14-10, 06:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I have said before, it will be interesting to see who will buy an HS when there will be an ISh and ESh right around the same price point (probably a bit more expensive).

They have a hard enough time selling it now, and those cars don't even have hybrids yet
Old 09-14-10, 07:26 AM
LexFather

^^^ It seems the HS is really aimed for techy/greenies with its recycable plastics etc. I just don't think there are enough of these people to buy the HS.

The good news is I am positive the next HS will be smoking compared to this flop.

Old 09-14-10, 08:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As much as I can appreciate the noble cause, I'm afraid Toyota is getting complicit, and allocating too many of its resources on the hybrid development. I'd much rather see them concentrate more on other things that are in dire need of attention. After, hybrid sales percentage is dismal compared to overall sales.

Also, I'm afraid they are going to hurt non hybrid models in favor of hybrids. They already did it with the GS460, by reducing its power output and making it even with GS450h. Now there are rumors that there wont be a V8 4GS at all - only a V6 and a hybrid V6. Meanwhile BMW has TTV8 550 and MB is rumored to replace its 5.5V8 with a 4.7 TTV8 in the nearmost future. If Lexus is relying on the hybrids to stay competitive, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 09-14-10, 10:38 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The good news is I am positive the next HS will be smoking compared to this flop.
there is going to be a next HS? Im sure like the HS and CT, the next generation of cars from Lexus will include ecological plastics and be made of recyclable materials, as they move towards 0 waste. I dont see the HS coming back.
Old 09-14-10, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Will the performance hybrids die? I mean if Lexus is going to offer F products and go sporty then will they be a need for higher power hybrids?

Though if the next GS doesn't have a V-8 like the rumors say, then they have to have a performance hybrid.

Old 09-14-10, 11:08 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
there is going to be a next HS? Im sure like the HS and CT, the next generation of cars from Lexus will include ecological plastics and be made of recyclable materials, as they move towards 0 waste. I dont see the HS coming back.
Lexus is reluctant on discontinuing models. In the past twenty years Lexus has only dropped two models, the SC 300 and IS 300 sportcross. I think Lexus will give the HS another chance by revamping it and hopefully making it look a little better and of course get better gas mileage as well...
Old 09-14-10, 11:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Will the performance hybrids die? I mean if Lexus is going to offer F products and go sporty then will they be a need for higher power hybrids?

Though if the next GS doesn't have a V-8 like the rumors say, then they have to have a performance hybrid.
F sport isn't for everyone. Some people want their soft, isolated, tomb-quiet ride and a powerful engine.

Performance hybrids are cool by me, but given the choice I still rather have two more cylinders or two more turbos vs hybrid.

Majority of people who want hybrids, do not want expensive or performance hybrids either, they want cheap hybrids that are really really efficient and make financial sense.

I have nothing against hybrids, but I'm just saying, instead of wasting their time making the HS, Toyota should've spent the time making IS coupe, bumped IS250's power output, refreshed the GS, and saved the SC.