Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 12:57 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely said DASHOCKER. Lots of old a4/passats around with 200+k miles...Made in Germany doesn't mean "failure after 100k" (unless we happen to be referring to Honda ATs).
Old 05-27-09, 06:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There is a guy on e90post with 80k on his 07 335. His car has been flawless. Guess what? There are BMW's on the road with over 100k, 200k with no major problems. There are some Japanese cars, hell even some on this site that are experiencing a plethora of problems at the 100k mark and less. Lexus maintainence is not exactly cheap.. Starter, AC condensor, cats, electrical gremlins (vsc/trac lights popping up), and the list goes on.... All are over $1k in repairs.. I never succumbed to German car phobia & will continue to roll in them.
I agree 100% Having owned 3 BMW's and one Audi they where never in the shop
Old 05-27-09, 06:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
My dad leased an A6 and a 330xi and both were in the shop several times to fix stuff.
Old 05-27-09, 06:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Audi's worst problem in 26k miles was a burnt out map light and a rougue CEL that only showed up 1 day and never came back or was explained.

My BMW's problems are so numerous that it has been to the dealer 10-15 times in 1.5 years and 20k miles. They were so bad that my dealer actually made a lease payment for me to say sorry. I guess I can't be mad about that, but the car itself has not been impressive. As it stands today I'm just tired of taking it into the shop. I have a low tire light that stays on even though all my tires are fine, and a broken cup holder but I just don't feel like going into the dealer anymore. As soon as I do something else will break.

My 335i has been the biggest problem car I've ever owned. Runner up being my 94 Z28.

My GS400 actually was not even close to my most reliable car I've had.. somewhere around average at best. And in terms of total cost of ownership it was actually the worst by far since service appointments and repairs cost so much more than a normal car.

I think if you're concerned about low cost of ownership, get a basic low feature easy to work on car like a Toyota or Chevy and find a quality independent mechanic to work on it, or learn to work on it yourself.

The LS430 may be the highest rated car by JD Power for initial quality and maybe even 3 year reliability, but when it breaks, it'll cost you 4 times as much as, say, a Ford Taurus to fix.
Old 05-27-09, 07:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

There is a guy on e90post with 80k on his 07 335. His car has been flawless. Guess what? There are BMW's on the road with over 100k, 200k with no major problems. There are some Japanese cars, hell even some on this site that are experiencing a plethora of problems at the 100k mark and less. Lexus maintainence is not exactly cheap.. Starter, AC condensor, cats, electrical gremlins (vsc/trac lights popping up), and the list goes on.... All are over $1k in repairs.. I never succumbed to German car phobia & will continue to roll in them.
ah well, why keep the statistics when there are some japanese cars that experience problems and some german cars that experience problems... hence some = some, and german = japanese... all problems solved.

lol.
Old 05-28-09, 06:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
My Audi's worst problem in 26k miles was a burnt out map light and a rougue CEL that only showed up 1 day and never came back or was explained.

My BMW's problems are so numerous that it has been to the dealer 10-15 times in 1.5 years and 20k miles. They were so bad that my dealer actually made a lease payment for me to say sorry. I guess I can't be mad about that, but the car itself has not been impressive. As it stands today I'm just tired of taking it into the shop. I have a low tire light that stays on even though all my tires are fine, and a broken cup holder but I just don't feel like going into the dealer anymore. As soon as I do something else will break.

My 335i has been the biggest problem car I've ever owned. Runner up being my 94 Z28.

My GS400 actually was not even close to my most reliable car I've had.. somewhere around average at best. And in terms of total cost of ownership it was actually the worst by far since service appointments and repairs cost so much more than a normal car.

I think if you're concerned about low cost of ownership, get a basic low feature easy to work on car like a Toyota or Chevy and find a quality independent mechanic to work on it, or learn to work on it yourself.

The LS430 may be the highest rated car by JD Power for initial quality and maybe even 3 year reliability, but when it breaks, it'll cost you 4 times as much as, say, a Ford Taurus to fix.
Did these problems with your 335occur pre or post accident? I would not want to keep a car that sustained a major hit.
Old 05-28-09, 07:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it a step forward???? Its a step forward only in cost savings I think. Cost less, less horsepower and more turbo lag.
Old 05-28-09, 07:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Did these problems with your 335occur pre or post accident? I would not want to keep a car that sustained a major hit.

Some pre accident, most post accident (this is understandable since the accident occured only a few months into ownership). Most of the problems were problems that almost definitely wouldn't have been caused by the accident.
Old 05-28-09, 07:28 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

I think the older bimmers were pretty reliable without a buncha electronic b.s. to go wrong. I had an 83' 318i that I put 353k miles on before selling it to my uncle who also drove the crap outta it before passing it on to another owner... I'm sure that baby blue bimmer is still on the road somewhere
Old 05-28-09, 03:03 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

OT, but do 335 owners use turbo timers? Back when I had a turbo car, it was recommended that a car be left idling for awhile to ensure that the oil would circulate enough to cool a hot turbo. Shutting a car off immediately after hard/prolonged turbo usage would cause the hot turbo to cook the stagnant oil around it. It was pretty common for a DSM or Supra TT to have a turbo timer programmed to allow the car to idle for an additional 30 sec to 2 min. In the past, I've destroyed a stock DSM turbo in under 50k miles, but of course it was boosting higher than stock levels.

I don't see these commonly installed on 335's. Perhaps the high mileage ones don't experience prolonged turbo usage, and miles are just accumulated on the highways.
Old 05-28-09, 03:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
OT, but do 335 owners use turbo timers? Back when I had a turbo car, it was recommended that a car be left idling for awhile to ensure that the oil would circulate enough to cool a hot turbo. Shutting a car off immediately after hard/prolonged turbo usage would cause the hot turbo to cook the stagnant oil around it. It was pretty common for a DSM or Supra TT to have a turbo timer programmed to allow the car to idle for an additional 30 sec to 2 min. In the past, I've destroyed a stock DSM turbo in under 50k miles, but of course it was boosting higher than stock levels.

I don't see these commonly installed on 335's. Perhaps the high mileage ones don't experience prolonged turbo usage, and miles are just accumulated on the highways.
No need for a turbo timer or extended idling on the 335. The stock turbos are water cooled and when the car is turned off, there is a faint buzz. That buzz is the water pump circulating coolant along with the turbos spinning slowly. No need for the old school stuff with this car.
Old 05-28-09, 07:27 PM
BoyGeorge
Banned

Great, now where is the TT V-10 BMW has been talking about for a couple years now? E60 M5 is getting long in the tooth and getting smoked by cars like the new CTS-V, and C63 AMG! New M5/6 should be another masterpiece
Old 05-29-09, 01:09 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

No need for a turbo timer or extended idling on the 335. The stock turbos are water cooled and when the car is turned off, there is a faint buzz. That buzz is the water pump circulating coolant along with the turbos spinning slowly. No need for the old school stuff with this car.
Thanks, I didn't know.

Originally Posted by BoyGeorge
Great, now where is the TT V-10 BMW has been talking about for a couple years now? E60 M5 is getting long in the tooth and getting smoked by cars like the new CTS-V, and C63 AMG! New M5/6 should be another masterpiece
Why am I not surprised that Boy George loves bimmers?
Old 05-29-09, 02:44 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
very much agreed
Old 05-29-09, 06:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoyGeorge
Buddy, it is coming! Hang tight.... (In the corners that is)

Quick Reply: BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine