Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 07:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, now thats a nice looking BMW.
Old 05-30-09, 09:49 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
In all seriousness, WTH happens to these cars when they hit 100k, does the cost of maintenance and upkeep get so high it's generally smarter to just get something newer, the roads are littered with old Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's, that are not even worth what someone pays monthly on one of these BMW's

It's discouraging to think how much these cars cost new, and that most are leasing them, and they have such a short life

Engines have become more complex, true, but their general reliability has also improved. What makes you think this engine will be unreliable or won't last past 100,000 miles?
Old 05-30-09, 10:03 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DustinV
Engines have become more complex, true, but their general reliability has also improved. What makes you think this engine will be unreliable or won't last past 100,000 miles?
from what i've read bmw makes extensive use of plastic in their cooling systems. for instance, parts of the radiators on bmws are plastic and have been known to fail after 70 or 80 thousands miles, i believe.

it just seems to me that bmw (and many other luxury car manufacturers in fact) now build their cars as if they were non durable goods that are meant to be replaced every few years or so. and maybe it's just in keeping with the change in the consumer mind set and the want for the newer and better. maybe it no longer makes economic sense for bmw and the likes to build cars to last 15-20 years when the average owner won't keep a car past it's warranty period.

there definitely seems to have been a shift over the last 2 or 3 decades to hedonistic consumerism in america.
Old 05-30-09, 10:21 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
from what i've read bmw makes extensive use of plastic in their cooling systems. for instance, parts of the radiators on bmws are plastic and have been known to fail after 70 or 80 thousands miles, i believe.

it just seems to me that bmw (and many other luxury car manufacturers in fact) now build their cars as if they were non durable goods that are meant to be replaced every few years or so. and maybe it's just in keeping with the change in the consumer mind set and the want for the newer and better. maybe it no longer makes economic sense for bmw and the likes to build cars to last 15-20 years when the average owner won't keep a car past it's warranty period.

there definitely seems to have been a shift over the last 2 or 3 decades to hedonistic consumerism in america.

Material fatigue is what you're trying to point out. Interesting.

I think the dependability and state of an engine also depends on how it is driven and maintained. We know that this engine will find its way into some of the sportier BMWs and we know that there will be people who will flaunt and abuse this engine at every opportunity. Such driving habits affect the engine through wear-and-tear and such. Naturally, one would expect this engine to be designed for this type of driving, and it probably is, but the fact cannot be ignored that constant engine abuse decreases the lifespan of an engine significantly. I am no engineer, but I am just trying to make sense of what little technical knowledge I have.