Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Have you ever been passed in a residential area?
Yes
62.96%
Never
22.22%
I have passed someone before in a residential area
14.81%
It was a problem, now we have speed bumps
0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever been "passed" driving in a residential area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Question Have you ever been "passed" driving in a residential area?

After a great day with my G/F Sunday we arrive in the neighborhood to go home. I make a complete stop at the stop sign and go you know, "the speed limit" as one should. A lot of times people are jogging or kids are running around etc.

So I'm talking to my G/F and all of a sudden the HONDA CIVIC (of course maybe a 1998 or so model sedan) behind me decides driving safely and following the speed limit is not good enough.

No, he decides to PASS ME in the neighborhood!! This is in broad daylight!! I was so in shock. The passenger then decides to flip me off.

So we get in the garage and my G/F is like "what the hell was that about"? and I'm like "I don't know but that guy went like 40 MPH to go around me and pass me"...

Anyone else ever been PASSED in a residential area before with the speed limit 25 MPH?

Sigh......I need one of those gated communities with the snipers on the roofs and the damn screenings so not everyone can live there.

Old 05-26-09, 08:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
After a great day with my G/F Sunday we arrive in the neighborhood to go home. I make a complete stop at the stop sign and go you know, "the speed limit" as one should. A lot of times people are jogging or kids are running around etc.

So I'm talking to my G/F and all of a sudden the HONDA CIVIC (of course maybe a 1998 or so model sedan) behind me decides driving safely and following the speed limit is not good enough.

No, he decides to PASS ME in the neighborhood!! This is in broad daylight!! I was so in shock. The passenger then decides to flip me off.

So we get in the garage and my G/F is like "what the hell was that about"? and I'm like "I don't know but that guy went like 40 MPH to go around me and pass me"...

Anyone else ever been PASSED in a residential area before with the speed limit 25 MPH?

Sigh......I need one of those gated communities with the snipers on the roofs and the damn screenings so not everyone can live there.
LOL, I actually live in a gated community, and while we don't have snipers on the roofs, we do have our own police department, and of course we do have our share of idiots that try to pass you, or ignore the stop signs. Theres that particular lady in a Jetta that has cut me off several times by making a turn onto the main road from her block without stopping for the stop sign... Well, this one time she cut me off as usual, then proceeded driving to the end of the main road, and didn't stop for the stop sign there either. However there was a cop sitting there, and sure enough her pulled her *** over, and while I don't like cops and dont like to rat anyone out, she's a special case, so I pulled up to the cop and mentioned to him about her failing to stop and cutting me off just a few block behind, and said she does it regularly. The look on her face was like she was ready to kill me.
Old 05-26-09, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, I actually live in a gated community, and while we don't have snipers on the roofs, we do have our own police department, and of course we do have our share of idiots that try to pass you, or ignore the stop signs. Theres that particular lady in a Jetta that has cut me off several times by making a turn onto the main road from her block without stopping for the stop sign... Well, this one time she cut me off as usual, then proceeded driving to the end of the main road, and didn't stop for the stop sign there either. However there was a cop sitting there, and sure enough her pulled her *** over, and while I don't like cops and dont like to rat anyone out, she's a special case, so I pulled up to the cop and mentioned to him about her failing to stop and cutting me off just a few block behind, and said she does it regularly. The look on her face was like she was ready to kill me.
You are my hero

Old 05-26-09, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
If your gated community is private property (like a condo development, for example), then the regular police have little or no authority to enforce speed-limits or traffic-sign violations within the borders......that is a board/management issue. With our condo board, if they get complaints about chronic violators from license numbers, addresses, etc.... they send out a warning letter by Certified Mail, and, if the complaints persist, tell the scofflaws they are no longer welcome to drive on the property. In extreme cases, the board can evict someone who lives there.

Once you're outside of private property on public roads, though, the cops can write you up for anything illegal they catch you doing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 08:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your gated community is private property (like a condo development, for example), then the regular police have little or no authority to enforce speed-limits or traffic-sign violations within the borders. With our condo board, if they get complaints about chronic violators from license numbers, addresses, etc.... they send out a warning letter, and, if the complaints persist, tell them they are no longer welcome to drive on the property. In extreme cases, the board can evict someone who lives there.
Well I guess I will have to build and be the president of my own association with snipers and an elite traffic police unit.

Old 05-26-09, 08:32 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

once, I was stuck on ice and then a nissan suv came next to me and tried to show off that his car has 4wd. He tried some weird stunt that made his car slip a bit but then he tried to burn out.
Old 05-26-09, 08:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your gated community is private property (like a condo development, for example), then the regular police have little or no authority to enforce speed-limits or traffic-sign violations within the borders. With our condo board, if they get complaints about chronic violators from license numbers, addresses, etc.... they send out a warning letter, and, if the complaints persist, tell them they are no longer welcome to drive on the property. In extreme cases, the board can evict someone who lives there.
I'm not sure exactly how its classified, but its not a condo development, its actually a gated neighborhood. This is the wiki article on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagate,_Brooklyn

House owners here pay regular property tax every year + about the same amount to the Seagate Association, so basically the taxes are double, but you have a peace of mind when your kids are playing outside, etc. There's no commercial establishments here either, and no through roads, so all the traffic is local. It is probably the most peaceful place in Brooklyn.

As far as Police, as I said we have our own police dept. It is not NYPD as the rest of NYC, its SGPD (Seagate police dept consisting of maybe 5-6 cars and maybe 20 officers tops) and they handle traffic, parking and violations here. Also they handle whatever else that has to do with Police duties, but they do call for NYPD's backup if something major goes down. Luckily nothing major usually happens here.
Old 05-26-09, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I guess I will have to build and be the president of my own association with snipers and an elite traffic police unit.

I was refering to Och's situation more than yours and your G/F, Mike. Yours seemed to have happened on a public street.

An additional factor: some roads have a solid white or yellow line down the middle, or on one side of a dashed line. In most states, that generally means that passing is not allowed, period, no matter what the speed limit is or what the neighborhood is like.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-09 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 08:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
once, I was stuck on ice and then a nissan suv came next to me and tried to show off that his car has 4wd. He tried some weird stunt that made his car slip a bit but then he tried to burn out.
OMG, and thats my biggest problem, when I'm having trouble with snowy road in my RWD and some douchebag in a big SUV pulls up from behind and starts honking or flashing his lights. Just because their cars have AWD doesn't mean they should be inconsiderate douches, and driving as fast on a snowy road as dry pavement is just retarded, AWD or not.
Old 05-26-09, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
OMG, and thats my biggest problem, when I'm having trouble with snowy road in my RWD and some douchebag in a big SUV pulls up from behind and starts honking or flashing his lights. Just because their cars have AWD doesn't mean they should be inconsiderate douches, and driving as fast on a snowy road as dry pavement is just retarded, AWD or not.
Agreed. AWD, while great in slick conditions, is not a magic be-all/end-all, nor a license to drive carelessly. It generally helps you start up easier, get going, and low-speed grip while cornering, but doesn't shorten your stopping distance any or increase traction if you drive too fast for conditions.
Old 05-26-09, 09:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Damn, I usually try and help. Last time I got out and offered to push an ES up the hill. It wouldn't budge...then I smugly drove around her in my trust, aging Subaru.

We have one woman (mother of 4) who frequently blasts through the neighborhood in her Suburban. Ridiculous. And yet the guy down the street frequently yells and waves at me to slow down (I DON'T SPEED, too many children around). Is it because I'm 22 or because my car is bright red and noticeable? My 4 cylinder has a nice sound to it, but it's no intimidating growl of a Camaro or something.

In Sum, killing a child or dog is not worth speeding through a residential area.
Old 05-26-09, 09:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Damn, I usually try and help. Last time I got out and offered to push an ES up the hill. It wouldn't budge...then I smugly drove around her in my trust, aging Subaru.
Well its not even when I'm stuck, sometimes I'm just driving on snowy or icy road doing 5-10mph because I don't feel it would be safe driving any faster, and then an SUV gets on your tail and starts honking and flashing lights. Some people are just dumb and only learn the hard way.
Old 05-26-09, 09:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well its not even when I'm stuck, sometimes I'm just driving on snowy or icy road doing 5-10mph because I don't feel it would be safe driving any faster, and then an SUV gets on your tail and starts honking and flashing lights. Some people are just dumb and only learn the hard way.
Ah I hear ya. Happend to me on the PA turnpike this winter. Car backed off once the Corolla in front of me spun out. People don't think and I know plenty of parents who have bought their teenagers SUVs because they think it's the safest.
Old 05-26-09, 09:16 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

It's happened to me twice and it was SUVs both times. Something about those vehicles tends to make people drive like *****.
Old 05-26-09, 09:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like another Death Race movie.

Yes.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-26-09 at 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot to answer the question

Quick Reply: Have you ever been "passed" driving in a residential area?